Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   This will fire everybody up ... (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/12996-this-will-fire-everybody-up.html)

Beemnseven 07-11-2006 03:15 PM

This will fire everybody up ...

I just picked up a copy of Street & Smith's Pro Football preview for 2006. It really is a good magazine for all of the facts they give and the way it's all laid out. Even though I disagree with their assessment of the Skins, it's a good preview if you ask me. Each team is thoroughly examined, and every article contains an anonymous quote from someone within their division with their personal viewpoint on the featured team -- whoever they are -- could be a player, coach, front office guy, who knows.

Most of the inter-divisional viewpoints seem curteous, and offer opinions with respect and admiration. This one though, was especially harsh if you ask me:

[QUOTE]The Redskins are the Redskins. They make a big splash every year. They go out and throw money around and throw it at the wrong players. They come in and have to fight to get to 8-8. They really weren't a playoff team. [Adam]Archuleta is just a guy. Brandon Lloyd is just a guy, not a difference maker. Defensively, Gregg Williams is a magician. He's done more with less than any defensive coordinator in the league. They'll be good defensively, but offensively I think they'll go backwards because [Mark]Brunell is a year older. Al Saunders will put in a complete new offense and, if you look where it's been installed at new places, it takes two years for it to fire up. The first year he was in K.C., they were 6-10. It's a very complicated offense and different from anything Joe Gibbs is used to. I don't think they'll win eight games.[/QUOTE]

Let's pick this one apart, shall we?

gibbsisgod 07-11-2006 03:17 PM

Re: This will fire everybody up ...

we didnt fight just to finish 8-8 last year.

scowan 07-11-2006 03:25 PM

The last time I checked the Skins went 10-6 and were playing games in January. Who was this quote from, Bill Parcells the day after his team got beat by the Rams in Week 17?!

TheMalcolmConnection 07-11-2006 03:26 PM

I guess that win in the playoffs was just a fluke.

ArtMonkDrillz 07-11-2006 03:27 PM

Is Saunders' offense really [I]that[/I] much different than Gibbs'?

Last year we were one #2 receiver from pushing even deeper into the playoffs, and that was obviously with Patten for half the year.

This is just a half-assed assessment based on the past few years and it totally snubs all the strides that the team made last year. What a joke.

TheMalcolmConnection 07-11-2006 03:29 PM

Vanderjagt is JUST a guy. LaVar Arrington is JUST a guy. Holy shit. Come up with something more entertaining at least. Yawn.

724Skinsfan 07-11-2006 03:41 PM

Errr...the Chiefs were 6-10 in saunders first year? This is supposed to be reflective of Saunders as an offensive coordinator? I would have thought having the fourth ranked offense in 2001 would have been better indicator.

ArtMonkDrillz 07-11-2006 03:43 PM

[quote=724Skinsfan]Errr...the Chiefs were 6-10 in saunders first year? This is supposed to be reflective of Saunders as an offensive coordinator? I would have thought having the fourth ranked offense in 2001 would have been better indicator.[/quote]

What was their D ranked that year? I feel like football involves playing offense and defense.

724Skinsfan 07-11-2006 03:44 PM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz]What was their D ranked that year? I feel like football involves playing offense and defense.[/quote]

22nd

12thMan 07-11-2006 03:47 PM

Al Saunders will put in a completely new offense, huh?

jbcjr14 07-11-2006 03:48 PM

Defense still wins championships and this defense will help the offense on numerous occassions with a short field. Pretty harsh about the 8-8 struggle as the last 1/4 of the season the Redskins were among the elite 8 in the league and hot as hell.

F...the HATERS!

jbcjr14 07-11-2006 03:53 PM

No need to imagine any longer my friend...the shit is ON!

Mattyk 07-11-2006 03:54 PM

They really weren't a playoff team??

That doesn't even deserve a response.

Southpaw 07-11-2006 04:30 PM

I take issue with the idea that Gregg Williams "has done more with less". Even on paper, Washington has one of the best secondaries in the league, a very solid linebacking core(minus Holdman), and probably the most underrated defensive tackle in the league in Griffin. With the talent they've added, the defense should be even more potent next season.