Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   Is Brunell a good quarterback? (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/13046-is-brunell-a-good-quarterback.html)

Duffman003 07-14-2006 10:05 PM

Is Brunell a good quarterback?

Ever since we got Brunell I always thought he was an average quarterback at best. Even after this past season due to most of his touchdowns coming from dink and dunk passes to cooley and sellers. But according to this ESPN.com article by KC Joyner, Brunell is tied with Matt Hasselback as the 4th most accurate passer in the league. He has an explanation for what's an accurate pass if you can read it, but to sum it up, it's an intended pass to the reciever where the reciever can get his hands on the ball.
But after reading this article I'm starting to think maybe Brunell is possibly the answer to the playoffs by ranking 4 spots higher than Payton Manning. So now im thinking maybe it would be better if campbell doesn't play again all year and let Brunell take us as far as he can.

Mattyk 07-14-2006 10:27 PM

Re: Is Brunell a good quarterback?

Check out some of the highlight clips from last season. When he's on, his passes are so on target it's ridiculous.

Schneed10 07-14-2006 10:32 PM

History says it all. When he's healthy he wins way more often than he loses. When he's hurt, entirely different story. The capability is there to win it all with Brunell at the helm, you just have to keep him healthy.

FRPLG 07-14-2006 10:40 PM

If healthy he brings accuracy, smarts, a little wiggle, and a knack for making good plays. He doesn't have a big arm and certainly doesn't make "big" plays with his feet or anything but he can manage a game and do good things. Health is his only real detriment. His arm strength was never great but it never was part of his game even when he was a top QB anyways. I'd take a healthy Brunell over probably 24-25 other QBs in the league at least.

Guys I'd take over Brunell
Manning
Brady
McNabb
Culpepper
Green
Leftwhich
Palmer

Maybe Delhomme

724Skinsfan 07-14-2006 10:44 PM

I never bought into the "he's getting up there in age" complaint. There are plenty of QB's his age and older that perform at high levels. Brunell has always been a very reliable QB. Once he suffered that elbow injury in Jacksonville people were very quick to write him off. I do know he looked and played like crap his first year with us. It looks fairly evident that injuries had lot to do with it. He'll take us as far as he can assuming a moderately healthy year for both he and the offensive line.

724Skinsfan 07-14-2006 10:47 PM

[quote=FRPLG]If healthy he brings accuracy, smarts, a little wiggle, and a knack for making good plays. He doesn't have a big arm and certainly doesn't make "big" plays with his feet or anything but he can manage a game and do good things. Health is his only real detriment. His arm strength was never great but it never was part of his game even when he was a top QB anyways. I'd take a healthy Brunell over probably 24-25 other QBs in the league at least.

Buys I'd take over Brunell
Manning
Brady
McNabb
Culpepper
Green
Leftwhich
Palmer

Maybe Delhomme[/quote]

Not sure I'd take Leftwich or Culpepper over Brunell. I'd probably take Hassleback over him though. Culpepper looked good when he had Moss. Not so goood w/o him. Leftwich is a good passer but still makes quite a few mistakes.

ArtMonkDrillz 07-14-2006 10:52 PM

[quote=724Skinsfan]Not sure I'd take Leftwich or Culpepper over Brunell. I'd probably take Hassleback over him though. Culpepper looked good when he had Moss. Not so goood w/o him. Leftwich is a good passer but still makes quite a few mistakes.[/quote]
I feel like Palmer (if he returns to last year's form, which I think he will) would be the perfect QB for our team. But that will never happen.

Brunell made me eat some huge crow last year b/c he was healthy. I'd love to see him stay that way.

scowan 07-14-2006 10:53 PM

Brunell has great touch on those short passes that give a RB/WR/TE the ability to get YAC. (Yards after the catch) and as far as arm strength goes, take a look at some of those bombs to Moss last year and tell me what else you want! I agree with you guys, on him playing way down when injured. The coaching staff needs to do a better job of recognizing that this year if Brunell gets hurt and put in Collins or Campbell. A hurt Brunell, hurts the Skins.

hooskins 07-14-2006 11:38 PM

[quote=FRPLG]If healthy he brings accuracy, smarts, a little wiggle, and a knack for making good plays. He doesn't have a big arm and certainly doesn't make "big" plays with his feet or anything but he can manage a game and do good things. Health is his only real detriment. His arm strength was never great but it never was part of his game even when he was a top QB anyways. I'd take a healthy Brunell over probably 24-25 other QBs in the league at least.

Guys I'd take over Brunell
Manning
Brady
McNabb
Culpepper
Green
Leftwhich
Palmer

Maybe Delhomme[/quote]

Culpepper and Leftwhich...hell nawww, I would def take Delhomme instead

Pocket$ $traight 07-14-2006 11:57 PM

[quote=724Skinsfan]Not sure I'd take Leftwich or Culpepper over Brunell. I'd probably take Hassleback over him though. Culpepper looked good when he had Moss. Not so goood w/o him. Leftwich is a good passer but still makes quite a few mistakes.[/quote]

I couldn't leave this one alone...

You wouldn't take Byron Leftwich over Brunell? You would [B]probably[/B] take Hasselback over him??? Let me guess, it is a tossup between Brunell and Peyton Manning.

The season needs to start soon. I am not even going to waste the energy on someone who makes statements like these.

GTripp0012 07-15-2006 01:32 AM

[quote=Duffman003]Ever since we got Brunell I always thought he was an average quarterback at best. Even after this past season due to most of his touchdowns coming from dink and dunk passes to cooley and sellers. But according to this ESPN.com article by KC Joyner, Brunell is tied with Matt Hasselback as the 4th most accurate passer in the league. He has an explanation for what's an accurate pass if you can read it, but to sum it up, it's an intended pass to the reciever where the reciever can get his hands on the ball.
But after reading this article I'm starting to think maybe Brunell is possibly the answer to the playoffs by ranking 4 spots higher than Payton Manning. So now im thinking maybe it would be better if campbell doesn't play again all year and let Brunell take us as far as he can.[/quote]I haven't read much by KC Joyner, but he seems to be able to break down football using stats really well. It's tough to translate sabremetrics to football, but if you can do so it's really helpful to look at since the game is in general so hard to figure out.

Brunell is a very accurate passer and has been his whole career. I think a lot of fans think he is close to the end in terms of what he has left physically. He's near the end of the line, but only because he will retire within the next 2 years. Most quarterbacks can play past 40 with no significant physical dropoff. I do think Brunell is starting to lose the desire to play, and has been contemplating retirement. As long as the Skins are winning, his drive and desire will not be an issue. If they are losing, it's time to move on anyway. But physically he can still run relatively well, and pass very, very well.

Forget 2004. It's over and done and there was obviously a reason that MB couldn't get anything on his passes.

I still can't believe the Jags let him go as early as they did.

GTripp0012 07-15-2006 01:34 AM

[quote=Grim21Reaper]I couldn't leave this one alone...

You wouldn't take Byron Leftwich over Brunell? You would [B]probably[/B] take Hasselback over him??? Let me guess, it is a tossup between Brunell and Peyton Manning.

The season needs to start soon. I am not even going to waste the energy on someone who makes statements like these.[/quote]You [I]would[/I] take Byron Leftwich over Brunell? Obviously Byron has a lot of career ahead of him, but if you had to pick one to roll with this year, you'd take Byron? That's interesting.

Here are some guys I think could QB the 2006 Redskins better than Brunell:
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Carson Palmer
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Hasselbeck
Marc Bulger

Other guys that could QB this team about as well as Brunell:
Trent Green
Brad Johnson
Jake Delhomme
Eli Manning
Kurt Warner
Steve McNair

There's going to be a dropoff after that. Guys who didnt make this list could be bad game managers, or products of system or whatever. Doesn't mean I think poorly of them as QBs. Just wouldn't want to see them on the Skins.

GTripp0012 07-15-2006 01:57 AM

One last point with the injuries. We have no idea how bad Brunell was hurt in 2004 or at the end of last year. I personally believe it was real serious, and that he tried to tough it out. I don't think it's the kind of thing that will happen again easily. MB may get dinged up a bit this year, but to affect his performance like it did last year, I just can't help but think it was probably far more serious of a knee injury than disclosed. Bruised kneecap or maybe a sprained ligament or something.