Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Al Saunder vs. Gregg Willams? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=13057)

LBrown43 07-16-2006 10:20 PM

Re: Al Saunder vs. Gregg Willams?

Williams will be patient because hs is bulding this defense and Joe will not go past another few seasons at best. Just a gut feeling but I think GW is the next guy no question. The million seals the deal!

freddyg12 07-17-2006 08:34 AM

this is a good thread, but like someone said, its too early to worry about it. This could be a long-term problem. Does anyone remember another DC taking over for Gibbs? R. Pettibon, great dc but was only head coach for 1 year. I was in Africa that season & only got to see the first 2 games (one of which was a monday night woopin of the cowpokers!), so I don't know all of what went wrong, but it was the beginning of a dark era in r'skins history. I'm sure Gibbs will work to make a better transition. GW will be our next head coach, unless he really wants to go elsewhere. I just hope there is stability, i.e. Saunders stays too, & GW would give him total freedom to run the offense.

JoeRedskin 07-17-2006 10:23 AM

I think Gibbs is coach for the full five years and that GW knows that and is willing to wait. After that, GW becomes coach.

I also think Saunders will stay with GW as coordinator. GW had already signed his contract and its details were probably public (or well known within the coaching industry) when Saunders signed on. I would bet that it was made clear to Saunders that GW was going to be first choice when Gibbs leaves. Nonetheless, at his introductory press conference, Saunders said that he told his wife "this is our last move".

So, unless an overwhelming HC offer comes along, I bet JG is here for 3 more years, GW takes over and Saunders stays on as Assistant Head Coach, Offense. (Buges and Breaux go when Gibbs moves up to the Front Office).

Saunders was probably disappointed that he did not get the KC job. Maybe he thought that was his best shot b/c, for whatever reason, he doesn't seem to be a hot HC prospect (Other than KC, was he a serious candidate for ANY of the 9 openings?). His prior stint in San Diego was pretty lackluster. My bet is that he has a rep with the owners that he is a great OC but a mediocre HC (kinda like Dan Hennings was).

724Skinsfan 07-17-2006 10:29 AM

[quote=JoeRedskin]Maybe he thought that was his best shot b/c, for whatever reason, he doesn't seem to be a hot HC prospect (Other than KC, was he a serious candidate for ANY of the 9 openings?)[/quote]

I'm pretty sure he would have gotten the Raiders HC job if he wanted it.

Monkeydad 07-17-2006 11:53 AM

I'd prefer Williams, but I hope we hold onto Saunders for a long time also.

Defense wins championships. :)