Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   traffic court (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=13058)

hooskins 07-16-2006 11:09 AM

traffic court

I have to go to traffic court tomorrow for the first time, and I am not prepared at all. I am kinda getting scared. It is for an improper lane change, and the only reason I am not paying is bc I do not want the insurance points. Just wondering if any of you guys know the formalities of traffic court in VA, and if any of you guys could help me that would be awesome.

dmek25 07-16-2006 11:31 AM

Re: traffic court

if you are guilty, suck it up and pay the fine

Duffman003 07-16-2006 11:42 AM

you should change the court date(way too late now) and then hopefully the cop won't show

SmootSmack 07-16-2006 12:00 PM

We'll miss you here on the warpath. Until then...don't drop the soap.

Say hi to Rae Carruth for us

hooskins 07-16-2006 12:17 PM

[quote=dmek25]if you are guilty, suck it up and pay the fine[/quote]

The thing is, it was kinda ify. I was going on route 50 in fairfax(its 3 lanes), and I was in the middle lane, when I realized that I needed to pull a U. So I switched quickly into the left turn lane. Cop pulled me over and said what I had done was dangerous because it was rush hour in the morning. I asked him, is switching multiple lanes illegal, and he responded no, but its dangerous to do so in the morning, but it is ok to do it at 11pm at night because there are not as many cars on the road. So I asked him what my ticket was for, and he replied it was for an "illegal lane change". He said that when I turned into the left lane I crossed over the solid part of the left turn lane, and not the dotted(see pic)

[IMG]http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/hep/tribaltrans/whitemtn_image018.jpg[/IMG]

And thanks TAF, I heard it is quite slipperly.

Another question I have, I never signed my summons ticket. Since the cop never made me, does that mean the case is null and void?

dmek25 07-16-2006 01:51 PM

from your description it does seem kind of iffy

MTK 07-16-2006 01:57 PM

I can't speak for VA, but in NY if you don't have any recent points/violations you can usually get your infraction reduced and you just pay a fine. It's when you're a frequent offender that you'll run into problems.

saden1 07-16-2006 02:05 PM

If you aren't too lazy, which you seem not to be, fight the ticket. You got to ask yourself though, does the cop have a video of you changing lanes? If no, he has no evidence and you should go into court and tell the judge you didn't commit the infraction alleged and that you changed lanes properly. Whatever you do don't admit to improperly changing lanes. Deny wrong doing.

And like someone else said, if the cop doesn't show up the case is dismissed.

dmek25 07-16-2006 03:07 PM

hey saden, good afternoon

That Guy 07-16-2006 03:08 PM

usually if your record is clean you can take a driver's ed course and totally avoid the ticket even if the judge does find you guilty. cops get 1 court date a month, so counting on him not showing isn't the best idea (though if he isn't there, that makes your life easy).

That Guy 07-16-2006 03:10 PM

but yeah, deny deny deny. ask if the cop has proof, tell the judge that the cop said you hadn't done anything wrong, andd mention that your record is clean... it'd be a goo iea to pick up a copy of your record (tell them its for court, otherwise you get a longer term one if its for personal use) from the DMV (about $11) to bring as proof you can drive (if it's clean).

hooskins 07-16-2006 03:46 PM

[quote=That Guy]but yeah, deny deny deny. ask if the cop has proof, tell the judge that the cop said you hadn't done anything wrong, andd mention that your record is clean... it'd be a goo iea to pick up a copy of your record (tell them its for court, otherwise you get a longer term one if its for personal use) from the DMV (about $11) to bring as proof you can drive (if it's clean).[/quote]

Thanks bud, I appreciate it. I will take your advice.

cpayne5 07-16-2006 03:51 PM

I took my [spotless] record to court for a very minor accident I had three years ago. When I asked the judge if he would drop the ticket, he lauged at me. Hopefully Fairfax is more forgiving than Prince William.

gibbsisgod 07-16-2006 04:04 PM

I would take That Guy's advice and deny any wrong doing. being that it is a simple lane violation I doubt seriously that the cop will have video evidence. you are in a very good situation since you have a clean record. i have only been to traffic court once and my only advice is to address the judge as sir or maam. also dress fairly nice. i went in with a clean record but i had some serious charges. driving without a license,no insurance,driving an unregistered vehicle, and a simple seat belt violation. i went in with my tail tucked between my legs and acted like i was about ready to cry and got away with a 150 dollar fine and no points.

That Guy 07-16-2006 05:47 PM

yeah, humble is good. having a lawyer helps too, but for a lane violation i doubt its worth the expense (lawyers have a much easier time talking cops into lesser/dropping charges than a defendant by a mile).

taking a voluntary drivers ed course woulddn't hurt either (positive points and also good for the judge). you can take them online (for $35) and then take the test at any kinkos (which will hit you up for 2-3$ for computer time).