Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Vent about your job (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=13065)

MTK 07-17-2006 08:32 AM

Vent about your job

Cool site, [URL="http://www.jobvent.com/"]http://www.jobvent.com/[/URL]

Blast/praise your employer.

Funny to see one of my ex-employers, Progressive, in the top worst companies. Definitely a nightmare of a job.

BDBohnzie 07-17-2006 10:02 AM

Re: Vent about your job

I saw Enterprise on that list too...from what I understand, they offer a lot of young people managerial opportunities, only from them to work 60-75 hours a week with little to no time off.

724Skinsfan 07-17-2006 10:06 AM

That's pretty common for a lot of retail or service oriented businesses.

dmek25 07-17-2006 10:11 AM

i think its getting like that everywhere.trying to do more with a helluva lot less people which = everyone working tons of hours

TheMalcolmConnection 07-17-2006 10:15 AM

[quote=BDBohnzie]I saw Enterprise on that list too...from what I understand, they offer a lot of young people managerial opportunities, only from them to work 60-75 hours a week with little to no time off.[/quote]

I have like 4-5 friends who went that route right after college. They said they work their asses completely off, but they get paid well and get good benefits.

Schneed10 07-17-2006 12:10 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection]I have like 4-5 friends who went that route right after college. They said they work their asses completely off, but they get paid well and get good benefits.[/quote]

The old time/money conundrum. Those who have a lot of money usually don't have a lot of time. Those who have a lot of time usually don't have a lot of money.

Which is exactly why Powerball and MegaMillions are so appealing! All the money, and all the time, in the world!

Monkeydad 07-17-2006 12:21 PM

Which one of my jobs?:cheeky-sm

MTK 07-17-2006 12:23 PM

I have a good friend who worked at Enterprise for 5 years. They work you to the bone and the pay isn't all that great for the time you put in. His stories about that place reminds me alot of Progressive. It's very, very clicky. Once you get on someone's bad side watch out, they will dig for any reason to run you out the door. I'm serious too, Progressive fires people left and right. They have no problem canning people. Employee morale there is in the dumper.

cpayne5 07-17-2006 12:44 PM

More of a praise than a vent...

I work for a fairly large strategy and technology consulting firm in the DC area that is not publicly held. The CEO and partners don't have to run the company from a standpoint of always trying to please the shareholders, and thus the employees are treated much better. I've been here 4 years and I like it so far. The pay and benefits are top notch.

BDBohnzie 07-17-2006 02:28 PM

cpayne - if i didn't know any better, i'd say you were writing about my company...i work for a privately held, family run company. employees are treated well, and compensated very well.

MTK 07-17-2006 02:38 PM

You guys hiring? ;)

BDBohnzie 07-17-2006 02:40 PM

i just got a buddy of mine a job...you willing to relocate to Redskins country? :D

MTK 07-17-2006 02:41 PM

If the price was right I would definitely consider it.

cpayne5 07-17-2006 02:47 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]If the price was right I would definitely consider it.[/QUOTE]
The worst part about taking a job here is the massive cost of living increase when moving in from somewhere else. A lot of times that alone outweighs the increase in pay.

That Guy 07-17-2006 05:24 PM

if they're hiring, hit me with specifics ;)

djnemo65 07-17-2006 05:35 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]I have a good friend who worked at Enterprise for 5 years. They work you to the bone and the pay isn't all that great for the time you put in. His stories about that place reminds me alot of Progressive. It's very, very clicky. Once you get on someone's bad side watch out, they will dig for any reason to run you out the door. I'm serious too, Progressive fires people left and right. They have no problem canning people. Employee morale there is in the dumper.[/QUOTE]

That's why I love working in sales, because there's no politics. It's kind of like sports in that people really only care about your numbers....can you produce......

BTW, I work for a mortgage company and my colleague tried to sell David Patten a refinance about a month ago.....thought that was pretty cool.

Sammy Baugh Fan 07-17-2006 06:25 PM

I work for myself and my boss is a jerk!
If I'm sick...I work.
If there is no money guess who don't get paid? Yep ME!

I do get to sleep with his wife tho.
woohoo!

SmootSmack 07-17-2006 06:50 PM

Working at CBS Radio was pure hell. I had a fairly prominent position and was well paid but the hours were awful and there was so much corruption and backstabbing going on it drove me nuts. I know Redskins_P and NY_Skinsfan heard me complain enough about it. I can hardly even listen to the radio anymore because I am so aware of all the shadiness that's going on behind the scenes. Of course, it may just have been the station I worked at.

On the other hand, I've only been here two months at ESPN and while the pay isn't phenomenal I really enjoy going to work each day. Of course, like anybody there are days where it can be long and tedious. But morale is strong, people are very helpful. We're all competitive but we realize that knocking others down to get ahead doesn't really get you anywhere. Plus the benefits are great, I just got two free tickets in the mail today to any Disney park for the "exceptional job you do on behalf of the Walt Disney Company"

BDBohnzie 07-18-2006 09:56 AM

[QUOTE=cpayne5]The worst part about taking a job here is the massive cost of living increase when moving in from somewhere else. A lot of times that alone outweighs the increase in pay.[/QUOTE]
quoted for truth...hopefully, in a few years, I'll be able to have enough equity in my house to be able to move out of the area, afford a nice house and have my wife be able to quit working. I have an hour commute each way, and even there, i can barely afford to live where i do.

firstdown 07-20-2006 12:41 PM

So you want people to vent about the company they work for while on line with the company computer. My job is the best one around and I love my boss.

MTK 07-20-2006 01:10 PM

[quote=firstdown]So you want people to vent about the company they work for while on line with the company computer. My job is the best one around and I love my boss.[/quote]

I wait until I'm home

BDBohnzie 07-20-2006 03:26 PM

my problem is i'm too lazy to do that while home...

TheMalcolmConnection 07-20-2006 03:36 PM

Yeah, I can't complain about my job either. You guys would probably know that by all the posts I have during work hours.

BDBohnzie 07-20-2006 04:02 PM

looking at my post count, i can safely say that less than 5% of all my posts were completed at home...

TheMalcolmConnection 07-20-2006 04:14 PM

I would agree with you there. If I'm online when I'm home it's either A) The seasno and I'm watching the game next to my computer or B) I'm drunk.

BDBohnzie 07-21-2006 09:31 AM

i try to avoid the computer at home at all costs. i spend enough time on the computer at work...