Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bill Cowher (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=13210)

Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor 07-27-2006 11:43 PM

Bill Cowher

I was on this nfl rumors web site and they said that Joe Gibbs will be retiring after the 2007 season and go back to nascar full time. His replacement will be, you guessed it, Bill Cowher. As you all know Bill Cowher wants a new contract which ranges in the 7-8 mil a year. I think he is an exceptional coach but it would be wrong if we did not give GW a chance. Whatever happens we definitely have to keep Mr. Saunders for the rest of his coaching career since offenses are hard to come by. You can bring another blitzing defensive sceme such as GW's. What do you guys think about this rumor. I not even joking about this rumor.

MTK 07-27-2006 11:50 PM

Re: Bill Cowher

lame rumor

GTripp0012 07-27-2006 11:55 PM

It's more than possible, but Gibbs' contract runs through 2008, and I think he plans to coach through 2008. I think theres a very good possibility that Cowher could leave Pittsburgh by the end of the 2007 season. He may sit out a year, but a lot of things would have to happen for him to become coach of the Redskins. A lot of things beyond Danny's control. Cowher has yet to express any interest in coaching here, so take the rumor with a grain of salt at this point.

It's too early to think about anything but this year.

bjschmonsees 07-28-2006 12:02 AM

Hah!

Hail2theskins 07-28-2006 12:11 AM

very lame rumor, i dont think cowher would mesh well, besides that the reigns should be handed to someone like say gregg williams when gibbs gives it up, someone already in the system, cuz i dont think anyone wants to go through another coach parade and i think ol danny boy knows better than that now... or he should anyway

edit: you can find another blitzing scheme like williams?????? williams is one of the best defensive coordinators in the game, if not the best, you cant just slap anyone in there and say have at it

GTripp0012 07-28-2006 12:17 AM

[quote=Hail2theskins]very lame rumor, i dont think cowher would mesh well, besides that the reigns should be handed to someone like say gregg williams when gibbs gives it up, someone already in the system, cuz i dont think anyone wants to go through another coach parade and i think ol danny boy knows better than that now... or he should anyway[/quote]The thing is Danny would be more than willing to pay the premium if he thought Cowher was a better head coach than Williams. I'm sure Gibbs would offer his imput, but all I'm saying is I've read rumors far crazier than this one.

However, this is unimportant since the focus now should be nothing but 2006.

MonkManiac 07-28-2006 12:19 AM

Doesn't GW have a clause in his contract guaranteeing him $1 million if he's not named Gibbs' successor? Somehow I don't see Danny just giving that money away while the ink is barely dry...

superskins 07-28-2006 12:22 AM

it would be fine with me one great coach to another. but i don't see it happening with greg williams and al saunders here. i think you have to give one of them a chance after gibbs. one of them gets the job before cowher

Hail2theskins 07-28-2006 12:23 AM

[quote=GTripp0012]
However, this is unimportant since the focus now should be nothing but 2006.[/quote]

very true... but.. but... but...

the offseason.....

it just gets so damn boring sometimes....:sleep: well in the meantime...:drink

Hail2theskins 07-28-2006 12:29 AM

hey welcome to the site super skins

EternalEnigma21 07-28-2006 01:48 AM

Pure wild speculation. Id much rather see us try to keep the things we're doing here in tact for a while...

But it is funny, I played a few seasons out in madden last year and Gibbs retired on me so Cower was the one I brought in...

SmootSmack 07-28-2006 01:54 AM

If anything, I'd rather we bring in my main man Russ Grimm from Pittsburgh

big_rod 07-28-2006 02:41 AM

Yeah, I agree... very lame rumor. Gregg Williams has a $1 Million Dollar clause in his contract if he doesn't become the successor to Joe Gibbs; and that is no money to just give away even though Snyder could afford to do so.

Also, if you bypass Gregg Williams and bring someone else in, then what does that say about the organizational structure and family loyalty of the Redskins???!

It only makes sense to promote Gregg Williams and let him succeed or fail on his own merits as a head coach. He's already been a head coach once, so he has that experience under his belt and a reflection of what went right and what went wrong in Buffalo, plus he has watched how Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs has run things and that can only help him to become a better head coach the second time around.

If Gregg Williams or Greg Blache were not a part of the Redskins, I would love Bill Cowher to come to the 'Skins. Personally I have a lot of respect for Cowher and Jeff Fisher, who are my two favorite head coaches.

The perfect scenario would be for Coach Gibbs to step down after his 5 year contract expires or when he deems he is ready to step down and then have Gregg Williams take over as head coach and have Greg Blache be the FULL defensive coordinator. If Blache is pulled away to another team then Dale Lindsay or Jerry Gray could be the defensive coordinator.

gibbsisgod 07-28-2006 04:11 AM

Welcome superskins and big rod!

GW will be our next head coach. If Bill Cowher leaves Pittsburgh he probably will not coach anywhere else.

dmek25 07-28-2006 06:04 AM

welcome super and bigrod. good morning gigity. i love cowher as a proven nfl winner. greg williams as a head coach makes me nervous. great coordinator, ala norv but hasnt proved he has what it takes to head coach in this league. i know those buffalo teams werent very good but you know what you get in coach cowher

gibbsisgod 07-28-2006 06:10 AM

a very good morning to you dmek25.

i disagree with you about GW. I think he will be a very good HC once Gibbs steps down. He does need a very strong supporting cast and I think with what we have in place now he can be very successful. IMO Turners biggest problem was player dicipline, and that seems to be one of GW's strong points.

offiss 07-28-2006 06:44 AM

Gibbs isn't retiring without a ring, I also doubt that if he gets one this year he retires, but that is the only way other than health reasons he retires.

irish 07-28-2006 07:12 AM

Never gonna happen. Cowher may leave Pgh but it will be for his retirement home in NC. His daughter is enrolled in high school there so thats where he's going.

vaoutlaws2006 07-28-2006 07:55 AM

I hate rumors. I think we are set with coaches.There are probably 3 or 4 coaches on the skins staff that could be head coaches. Cowher isnt needed here

FRPLG 07-28-2006 08:16 AM

They win despite Bill Cowher in my opinion. He is a classic get you close coach. There is a reason all the assistants on that team are head coach candidates. They are the reason that team won last year. I don't think Cowher is a "great" coach. I think he is a good organizer and motivator. I think Pitt has great scouts and a good front office. I think Cowher could use a little upgrade in terms of Xs and Os. I'd take Williams or Saunders at this point. Especially for continuity.

That Guy 07-28-2006 08:38 AM

whoever came up with that rumor is an idiot. cowher wants to coach the panthers, not the redskins. gibbs won't be going back that soon (he doesn't have that big of a workload now), and we've already got 2 other head coaches on staff.

12thMan 07-28-2006 08:41 AM

[quote=That Guy]whoever came up with that rumor is an idiot. cowher wants to coach the panthers, not the redskins. gibbs won't be going back that soon (he doesn't have that big of a workload now), and we've already got 2 other head coaches on staff.[/quote]

Yeah, this rumor doesn't even make sense - at all.

#56fanatic 07-28-2006 08:43 AM

The next coach of our team will come from inside. More than likely Williams. Saunders is a possibility. but it basically comes down to those two. I dont think anyone else would even be discussed.

irish 07-28-2006 08:44 AM

[QUOTE=FRPLG]They win despite Bill Cowher in my opinion. He is a classic get you close coach. There is a reason all the assistants on that team are head coach candidates. They are the reason that team won last year. I don't think Cowher is a "great" coach. I think he is a good organizer and motivator. I think Pitt has great scouts and a good front office. I think Cowher could use a little upgrade in terms of Xs and Os. I'd take Williams or Saunders at this point. Especially for continuity.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree, Cowher is an overrated coach. He had some great teams in Pgh and only got it done once. In a big game Cowher is not the coach I'd want.

#56fanatic 07-28-2006 08:45 AM

Also, Cowher may go to college. Rumor in the Carolinas has him coaching NC State after Chuck Amatta gets fired after this season. I live in Charlotte, so it was all over the sports station yesterday evening. Dont know if its true, but he lives down here, his children and going to NC State, so it is definately possible.

12thMan 07-28-2006 08:52 AM

[quote=#56fanatic]Also, Cowher may go to college. Rumor in the Carolinas has him coaching NC State after Chuck Amatta gets fired after this season. I live in Charlotte, so it was all over the sports station yesterday evening. Dont know if its true, but he lives down here, his children and going to NC State, so it is definately possible.[/quote]

dude, are we going to change that name of yours before 9/11? :)

724Skinsfan 07-28-2006 09:02 AM

Not so interested if an outside guy steps in to the role of head coach but how many of our assistants will leave with Gibbs (in 2008)?

#56fanatic 07-28-2006 11:43 AM

[quote=12thMan]dude, are we going to change that name of yours before 9/11? :)[/quote]

Nope, keeping it all season. everyone knows me by that name. I would hate to have to start every conversation ....it me, #56fanatic.. that would get a bit old.

gibbsisgod 07-28-2006 11:58 AM

[quote=#56fanatic]Nope, keeping it all season. everyone knows me by that name. I would hate to have to start every conversation ....it me, #56fanatic.. that would get a bit old.[/quote]you could have your sig read, AKA 56fanatic.

dmek25 07-28-2006 12:55 PM

or your name could be tafka56

MightyJoeGibbs 07-28-2006 01:13 PM

[quote=Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor]I was on this nfl rumors web site and they said that Joe Gibbs will be retiring after the 2007 season and go back to nascar full time. His replacement will be, you guessed it, Bill Cowher. As you all know Bill Cowher wants a new contract which ranges in the 7-8 mil a year. I think he is an exceptional coach but it would be wrong if we did not give GW a chance. Whatever happens we definitely have to keep Mr. Saunders for the rest of his coaching career since offenses are hard to come by. You can bring another blitzing defensive sceme such as GW's. What do you guys think about this rumor. I not even joking about this rumor.[/quote]

Cowher is banned from all airports and a 50 mile radius to the stadium. Just cause he has a ring he is no more important than Spurrier.

Skins fan 44 07-28-2006 02:55 PM

I doubt Coach will go back to nascar full time. His son JD is doing quite fine with the family business. I guess the guy writing the story will do anything to draw interest. He must be really bored looking for a story.

Riggo44 07-28-2006 03:49 PM

This thread is a waste of time. Cowher isn't going anywhere. He'll resign with Pitt just watch.