Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   What will happen this year that hasnt happened recently. (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/1325-what-will-happen-year-hasnt-happened.html)

SKINSnCANES 05-22-2004 10:30 PM

What will happen this year that hasnt happened recently.

My guesses:

Blocked kicks: Taylor is a ballhawk in every aspect of the game. Look for him to be on the special teams unit.

Sacks: Our dline will hold down the fort and open up holes for the linebackers.

Picks: We might give up a few more big plays overall without Bailey, but look for our pick numbers to skyrocket with Springs and Taylor.

Beemnseven 05-23-2004 12:20 AM

Hell, if there is even an [B]attempt[/B] at blocking kicks, -- by anyone on the team -- I will be thrilled nearly to the point of orgasmic convulsions.

There's only on thing that irritates me more than scoring a touchdown, only to have the opposing team block the extra point. That's when everyone in Burgundy and Gold, when they've been scored on, just sits there half-assing the extra point defense, without so much as lifting one arm to try and block the kick.

Seems like that happens at least once a season playing in Dallas. Last year, it took forever to penetrate the endzone, then once we do, the Cowboys block the extra point. Something about that play really sets a tone.

As far as sacks go, I remember hearing the exact same strategy last year. Sooner or later, your defensive ends have to come up with the heat. What a concept.

Beemnseven 05-23-2004 12:21 AM

skins009 05-23-2004 12:32 AM

I agree with you on everything except for our dline. Our dline still sucks really baddly. It won't be doing much of anything in my opinion. That remindes the last major hole in our roster and it is a giant hole. I think we'll be able to slightly overcome it will lots of blitzing and good coaching. But in order for our d to get back in the top 10 were gonna have to get some help up front.

exit0 05-23-2004 01:26 AM

Hard to tell about the Dline at this point... they signed those free agents so only time will tell how they will do. I would have loved to seen them get some dominating pass rusher.... I'm still afraid the opposing QBs will have too much time back there to throw.

SKINSnCANES 05-23-2004 02:08 AM

hopefully it will be enough pressure to rush them enough to let Taylor have a field day and get a ton of picks.

Hogskin 05-23-2004 09:05 AM

Canes,

I do agree on the dline, especially since it looks like LaVar will be playing DE on a lot of passing downs again this year. He complained about it under Lewis a couple years ago, but he got the sacks. And the LB's should really get some sacks this year.

But I really doubt that Taylor will be a big ST presence. As a full-time defensive back rookie, I would expect hi to be a backup on special teams.

And, yes, I hope and expect we will not feel Bailey's loss very much. If that happens, wouldn't it be like getting Portis for free??? Wow...

RedskinRat 05-23-2004 01:53 PM

The Redskins will make the playoffs....that hasn't happened for a while.

Redskins_P 05-23-2004 02:15 PM

I think there is one thing that really sticks out.....Clinton Portis...he will make a huge impact on Gibbs's offense. We will have the best rushing team in the NFC. I can almost guarantee that. Tell me guys, when was the last time we really dominated the ground game througout the whole season?

Dave Butz Baby! 05-23-2004 03:07 PM

I hope this season that I am not drunk and pissed off during every game with 9:43 still to go in the second quarter.

Now that would be something that hasn't happened for quite a while!

NFLNetwork 05-24-2004 01:55 AM

Im still worried about our D-line...particularly our D-ends. Hope we can get to the qb.

SKINSnCANES 05-24-2004 12:14 PM

Its giong to be nice to see the team play for four QTRs as well. How many times last year did Ramsey light it up in the first half, we have a two touchdown lead, then Spurrier tries to run out the clock right after halftime. Then Ramsey only has 7 throws in the entire second half and we end up losing because we got three and out every drive. I want the Skins to play full speed until the clock says zero. If we are up by three tds then make it 4. We all say the Colts come back from what, 35 points down last year. Yea thats an exception but we lost a lot of games after hvaing leads in the 4th last year. Id love to see us run up the stats.

Hogskin 05-24-2004 12:22 PM

Excellent point, Canes. There was another game when Spurrier QUIT (gave up) right after the half. Never saw anything like it. And before that under Schottenheimer, we had a team that had been over-practiced, and was totally worn out by the start of the 4th quarter. I'm sick of losing so many close games for so many years. I truely believe there will be a major turnaround in THAT this year.

SKINSnCANES 05-24-2004 12:25 PM

We had enough close games last year that had we won them we would have been in the playoffs. Now our team is better and better coached. It is reasonable to think that we will win ten games this year because we had a chance to do it last year but loast atleast five games in the 4th qtr becasue we stopped playing. Just by trying for four qtrs should give us an extra five wins. Look at the games we won last year, we won them because we were down at the half and came out trying in teh second half. Ramsey started the year showing he was the king of comebacks, then they stopped lettign him try until it was to late.

SmootSmack 05-24-2004 12:36 PM

I think Tony Kornheiser might dust off the old Bandwagon and bring it out of the garage.

I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about but for those of you who don't here you go:

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/history/timeline/wagon/wagnfrnt.htm[/url]