Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Gear (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-gear/)
-   -   People say i got ripped what you think.... (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-gear/13474-people-say-i-got-ripped-what.html)

bridaman51 08-07-2006 01:35 PM

People say i got ripped what you think....

I in the processes of purchasing a new home and part of this deal is my SPORTS room. I have all kinds of collectibles that are packed in the basement that will finally be displayed in all there Redskin Glory. But that stuff just was not enough so this weekend visting my parents I shopped on Ebay. I know ebay and my wife and everyone else has used it but I have never. Well I want more stuff for my room, so First bid on a John Riggins Signed Football, lost that because we was using dial up and I am used to DSL so I did not get my bid in time (I was annoyed). I did however get a Santanna Moss Signed Official football for $58.00 (including shipping football was 48 and shipping was 10). But the coolest to me was a 1969 sports illustrated which featured the Redskins, it was Titled "Let the Scalping Begin" and on the cover was Vince Lombardi and Sonny Jurgenson and that cost me a total of 7 dollars (4.50 for the mag and 2.50 for shipping). My wife thinks I am crazy but I am stoked about these two gems I have picked up.

Now I know people are going to be a bit biased (because any Redskin memorable is never to costly) but I need to know that I am not crazy. All have COA and pass all the autgraph inspections stuff or money back, I thought what a deal. heck the NFL football is probably worth 30-40 bucks alone.

steveo395 08-07-2006 01:43 PM

Re: People say i got ripped what you think....

[quote=bridaman51]I in the processes of purchasing a new home and part of this deal is my SPORTS room. I have all kinds of collectibles that are packed in the basement that will finally be displayed in all there Redskin Glory. But that stuff just was not enough so this weekend visting my parents I shopped on Ebay. I know ebay and my wife and everyone else has used it but I have never. Well I want more stuff for my room, so First bid on a John Riggins Signed Football, lost that because we was using dial up and I am used to DSL so I did not get my bid in time (I was annoyed). I did however get a Santanna Moss Signed Official football for $58.00 (including shipping football was 48 and shipping was 10). But the coolest to me was a 1969 sports illustrated which featured the Redskins, it was Titled "Let the Scalping Begin" and on the cover was Vince Lombardi and Sonny Jurgenson and that cost me a total of 7 dollars (4.50 for the mag and 2.50 for shipping). My wife thinks I am crazy but I am stoked about these two gems I have picked up.

Now I know people are going to be a bit biased (because any Redskin memorable is never to costly) but I need to know that I am not crazy. All have COA and pass all the autgraph inspections stuff or money back, I thought what a deal. heck the NFL football is probably worth 30-40 bucks alone.[/quote]
an official football is $70 or $80 alone so i think you got a good deal on that one

Warpath 08-07-2006 01:46 PM

I think you did just fine. I used to buy stuff on ebay all the time. That has since changed due to my now 5 week old. All that matters about what you bought is that YOU wanted it, liked it, and bought it. Screw what everyone else thinks.
Go Skins!

jamf 08-07-2006 02:07 PM

[QUOTE=Warpath]I think you did just fine. I used to buy stuff on ebay all the time. That has since changed due to my now 5 week old. All that matters about what you bought is that YOU wanted it, liked it, and bought it. Screw what everyone else thinks.
Go Skins![/QUOTE]

AGREED!

Buy it because you like it!

Now if you are buying it as an investment, Be very careful.

bridaman51 08-07-2006 02:10 PM

:heck NO I would NEVER sell my Redskins stuff, Unless I have 2 of them. :)

firstdown 08-07-2006 03:15 PM

You must have thought it was a good deal because you made the purchase and thats all that matters. An item is worth what one is willing to pay for it.

jdlea 08-07-2006 03:28 PM

Those both seem like great prices for both of the items you described. I can say that I would have paid that amount for either of them, so I think you got two very good deals.

memphisskin 08-07-2006 03:44 PM

Redskins memorablia is priceless, so whatever you paid consider it a bargain.

TheMalcolmConnection 08-07-2006 03:59 PM

Let me be honest with you about eBay stuff. I've gotten real signatures and they're nowhere close the one's I've "bought" from eBay. Anyone, anywhere can buy a "COA" for a nominal fee. These places that hand them out don't even care, they just take the money and ship the scheister a COA. Be VERY careful when buying stuff like that online, specifically from people who seem to sell a lot of autographs because they could very well be buying a $10 football and putting their own Herbie Hancock on it.

steveo395 08-07-2006 05:09 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection]Let me be honest with you about eBay stuff. I've gotten real signatures and they're nowhere close the one's I've "bought" from eBay. Anyone, anywhere can buy a "COA" for a nominal fee. These places that hand them out don't even care, they just take the money and ship the scheister a COA. Be VERY careful when buying stuff like that online, specifically from people who seem to sell a lot of autographs because they could very well be buying a $10 football and putting their own Herbie Hancock on it.[/quote]
love the tommy boy reference

PSUSkinsFan21 08-07-2006 05:10 PM

I have to echo TMC here. The thing is a COA is really just a piece of paper unless it comes from a reliable source. In my experience you can count on certificates of authenticity (with corresponding serial-numbered stickers on the item) from PSA/DNA, Tristar Productions, and Steiner Sports. Not to say those are the only ones, but from my research they are the most respected. If JoeBlowSports gives you a fancy looking COA, what kind of guarantee do you really have? Is it really any different than someone saying "Trust me, I promise you it's real"? Just because it's in the form of a piece of paper doesn't make it true.

Also, the money back guarantee does nothing to convince me. Look at it this way: if you spend the money to have an independent verification done by a reputable agency and find out it is a fake, you are out the money for shipping and handling and for the verification. The seller gives you back your money for the item and gets the item back from you. So you lose, and he breaks even. The seller then re-sells the item on Ebay again and again until they sell it to someone who doesn't bother getting an independent appraisal done. Eventually, the seller is going to make his money, but really the reason he guarantees your money back is to make you feel like you can trust him and that he's guaranteeing the item's authenticity. All he's really guaranteeing, however, is that he'll pay back anyone who is smart enough to prove that he's a fraud.......and at worst he'll break even to do that.

That said, I would recommend sending the football to PSA/DNA and having them verify the item is authentic. This should cost you about $10-15. It more than pays for itself because if it's a fraud, you wouldn't want it. If it's authentic, you've just doubled the value of the item because you now have a verified authentic signature from the most trusted agency in the business (and anyone that wants to verify the COA you'll get from PSA/DNA can go directly to their website and track the item by the numbered sticker they will place on your football).

I don't mean to rain on your parade........I'm just incredibly sceptical when it comes to signatures and COAs. From the research I've done on the topic, the incidents of forgery have really exploded with the advent of Ebay. It only makes sense to do what you can to protect yourself.

Skinsfanmania 08-07-2006 06:37 PM

sounds like a steel to me.

Riggo44 08-07-2006 07:40 PM

If your happy it's a good deal.
I just got a 82' Theismann single bar face mask RK helmet to add to my collection. Some people might think I got ripped off. But I like it so I don't care.

Monkeydad 08-08-2006 12:23 PM

[quote=Skinsfanmania]sounds like a steel to me.[/quote]

No, it's titanium.

I think you made out very well on your purchases. :)

RiggoRules 08-08-2006 12:32 PM

First off, buying autographed gear for investment purposes is highly risky and takes a great deal of knowledge. But if you are buying it to have a cool Skins room, then you made out just fine.

What was the seller's feedback rating and what kind of comments did he have? If his rating was not at least in triple digits, I'd be very skeptical.

You can learn quite a bit from any negative comments.