Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A defensive strategy catch 22 (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=13825)

rickmmrr 08-22-2006 09:49 PM

A defensive strategy catch 22

From watching games and interviews we can all agree that Williams philosophy is to play very aggressively. On every play all 11 players have to get to the ball carrier as quickly as possible. But each player also as an area of the field that they are responsible for. So here’s the catch 22. How do you get your players to re-act to the ball quickly but not so quickly as to bite on a trick play.

We saw two examples of that in the Jets game and we’ve seen it last year a few times.

I hate it every time we get burned on one of these. I’m glad these happened last week though. Hopefully they will learn from the mistake.

dmek25 08-22-2006 10:03 PM

Re: A defensive strategy catch 22

you can get to the ball, but the other responsibilty in staying within your lane or gap, not just wildly running around

dmek25 08-22-2006 10:04 PM

mike rumph basically screwed up on the reverse because he was responsible for outside containment and got caught inside and taken down

That Guy 08-23-2006 01:51 AM

[quote=rickmmrr;206840]How do you get your players to re-act to the ball quickly but not so quickly as to bite on a trick play.
[/quote]

experience.

MTK 08-23-2006 08:27 AM

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

When you have a super aggressive D, you're going to give up the big plays on occassion.

But there's a big difference between being aggressive and being reckless. A Gregg Williams' defense is not reckless.

cpayne5 08-23-2006 09:23 AM

If you play sound defense for a few seconds every play, you should have no problem being able to prevent these trick plays AND swarming to the ball. An offense really has just a few seconds to execute a trick play. These plays are devised in such a way to occur quickly. So, a defense get through those first couple of seconds successfully, they can attack the ball without risk of giving up the Terry Glenn flea flicker.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that an offense has a very small, finite amount of time to execute a trick play to perfection before the D breaks up the play to the point where everyone on the field knows that the O can do nothing but the obvious (run for their life), and at that point the D can start to commit safeties, CBs, and LBs to the ball carrier.

FRPLG 08-23-2006 09:30 AM

Maintain lane and assigment. Safeties have the hardest job on the team in myopinion. That is why a guy like Taylor can be some valuable. He is athletic enough to maintain his coverage resposibilities and still swarm the ball just nanseconds later. The guy who got burned on the flea flicker did so because he bit immediately on the run and didn't maintain his assignment. He wont make that mistake again. Plus it is the D-line's jobs to penetrate to eleviate the pressure on the secondary. If we get decent penetration on either of those plays they dont go down the same way.

MightyJoeGibbs 08-23-2006 02:55 PM

[quote=rickmmrr;206840]From watching games and interviews we can all agree that Williams philosophy is to play very aggressively. On every play all 11 players have to get to the ball carrier as quickly as possible. But each player also as an area of the field that they are responsible for. So here’s the catch 22. How do you get your players to re-act to the ball quickly but not so quickly as to bite on a trick play.

We saw two examples of that in the Jets game and we’ve seen it last year a few times.

I hate it every time we get burned on one of these. I’m glad these happened last week though. Hopefully they will learn from the mistake.[/quote]

Playing defense there are responsibilities you have to control first. When I played Safety the first thing you look at after the snap is if the O-Line steps out or steps back. If one guys crosses the line it has to be a run, if they step back DB's are dropping back and covering anyway. The great thing about are defense is the hustle and speed they have. The D-Line and LB will get to any draws or QB runs. Thats not the CB duty but sometimes- all the time rather their duties change all over the field so it may be the DB's responsibility.

The Bengals game was a display of a Safety who lost all his teachings that go back to Rec-Ball age 8. No one gets behind the Safety. Reed-sucks and will be cut. He was so eager to show off that he committed up to the LB depth before he realized he just lost his future job. In his defense I know it gets boring back there, LB's hog all the tackles but you prove your worth with patience and applying knowledge, which he lacks both

The Jets reverse well, was clearly a lack of communication. There were numerous guys out there that hadn't played together and they didnt communicate -Run/Reverse shouts. Whoever was covering the WR that ran it, it may have been Battle. He should have followed that played to the middle once he dragged down the line AND crossed the line of scrimmage. He stayed at home but the problem was he didnt get himself back into the play .It could have been a tackle in the backfield Wynn barely missed with Ramsey's block. It was just one of those plays that everything fell apart. D-Line got stuck inside, never rotated, LB's bit with no communication, OL pulled and had no one to block so they kept on downfield. Touchdown. It won't happen again.

But you do raise a good question, its a thought I haven't heard voiced before and is an interesting take. We rely on a team/unit acting as one, anytime responsibilities arent executed on the right Offensive play can really burn us bad. But Ill take our over aggressive D for a passive one anyday.

number21isabadman 08-23-2006 03:40 PM

easy there big fella, didnt know we had another defensive coordinator and scout evaluator on the team, "When I played Safety" im sure the technique and playing level along with the difficulty of the position is alot different then your hs playing days, so i wont read much, in what you have to say in the coaching deparment. But also your judging reed on one pre-season game as a rookie trying to impress the coaches and get caught in a once in a lifetime flee-flicker i dont know much about you but ill give him a year before i start saying who needs to get cut and not.

[quote=MightyJoeGibbs;207231]Playing defense there are responsibilities you have to control first. When I played Safety the first thing you look at after the snap is if the O-Line steps out or steps back. If one guys crosses the line it has to be a run, if they step back DB's are dropping back and covering anyway. The great thing about are defense is the hustle and speed they have. The D-Line and LB will get to any draws or QB runs. Thats not the CB duty but sometimes- all the time rather their duties change all over the field so it may be the DB's responsibility.

The Bengals game was a display of a Safety who lost all his teachings that go back to Rec-Ball age 8. No one gets behind the Safety. Reed-sucks and will be cut. He was so eager to show off that he committed up to the LB depth before he realized he just lost his future job. In his defense I know it gets boring back there, LB's hog all the tackles but you prove your worth with patience and applying knowledge, which he lacks both

The Jets reverse well, was clearly a lack of communication. There were numerous guys out there that hadn't played together and they didnt communicate -Run/Reverse shouts. Whoever was covering the WR that ran it, it may have been Battle. He should have followed that played to the middle once he dragged down the line AND crossed the line of scrimmage. He stayed at home but the problem was he didnt get himself back into the play .It could have been a tackle in the backfield Wynn barely missed with Ramsey's block. It was just one of those plays that everything fell apart. D-Line got stuck inside, never rotated, LB's bit with no communication, OL pulled and had no one to block so they kept on downfield. Touchdown. It won't happen again.

But you do raise a good question, its a thought I haven't heard voiced before and is an interesting take. We rely on a team/unit acting as one, anytime responsibilities arent executed on the right Offensive play can really burn us bad. But Ill take our over aggressive D for a passive one anyday.[/quote]

MightyJoeGibbs 08-23-2006 03:54 PM

[quote=number21isabadman;207250]easy there big fella, didnt know we had another defensive coordinator and scout evaluator on the team, "When I played Safety" im sure the technique and playing level along with the difficulty of the position is alot different then your hs playing days, so i wont read much, in what you have to say in the coaching deparment. But also your judging reed on one pre-season game as a rookie trying to impress the coaches and get caught in a once in a lifetime flee-flicker i dont know much about you but ill give him a year before i start saying who needs to get cut and not.[/quote]

Fundamentals never change no matter on what level. Thanks for responding but the rules dont change, if a lineman crosses the line its a run, come on man.

Dare I say you have Safety envy??? Just Kidding but not really, if its not a flea flicker its play action, Reed has his work cut out for him to improve himself before he even thinks he has a chance to join this team.

But the fact remains the same. Discipline is something he lacks, and often Pro athletes forget the simple things. I know there is nothing factual you can tell me that exist as a stategy or mindset that gives the responsibility of the safety to guard a WR 10-20 yards behind him....I thought so. Thats like a Center in basketball guarding a guy in the post but he is standing at halfcourt, so ease off a bit 21.

Dont call me defensive coordinator, chill man, I have feelings and now I need my security blanket, thanks alot.

Monkeydad 08-23-2006 05:06 PM

[quote=MightyJoeGibbs;207257]Fundamentals never change no matter on what level. Thanks for responding but the rules dont change, if a lineman crosses the line its a run, come on man.[/quote]

Well he DOES have a point, somewhat.

"Ineligible man downfield, 5 yard penalty...loss of down"

However, that doesn't mean that they won't try to fake you out. The NFL plays at an incredible speed so you could (as a safety) see run and then it turns into a passing play or vice versa.

I do see what he was saying...although he didn't say "when I was a safety in the NFL". :)

MightyJoeGibbs 08-23-2006 05:43 PM

I was banned for substance abuse.