Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How did you discover this site? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=1401)

MTK 06-02-2004 06:49 PM

How did you discover this site?

How did you find your way to The Warpath?

NM Redskin 06-02-2004 07:37 PM

Google

joecrisp 06-02-2004 09:01 PM

When I first got the idea in my head that I might enjoy being a sportswriter, I started looking for websites where I could polish my writing skills. I guess it was about 3 years ago, I started writing about the Redskins for [i]Allsports.com[/i], which uses a lot of volunteer writers. I had only written 2 or 3 articles for them when Matty shot me an email and told me he liked my articles and invited me to check out [i]The Warpath. [/i]

Outside of a couple of college classes where my professors used them to supplement classroom discussions, I was completely new to the whole message board thing. Needless to say, I was hooked when I visited this board for the first time. I couldn't believe it-- here was this awesome community of Redskins fans just like me, sharing their love of the Skins, and I had been missing out on it for so long! The first few months after my discovery of the site, I probably put in more time reading and writing posts on this site than I put in at my job. Soon thereafter, Matt asked me if I'd like to write and moderate for the site, and so here we are.

It sounds totally corny (and perhaps pathetic to some), but finding [i]The Warpath[/i] is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. In this one incredible place, I have an outlet for my creativity, a community of fellow Redskins fans to share ideas with, a one-stop shop for Redskins news, and just a place to relax, hang out and have fun. And of course, thanks to [i]The Warpath[/i], I've had the unbelievable opportunity to go to Redskins Park and report on the team I've adored all my life. Thanks, Matty, for bringing me here, and thanks to all of you Warpathers for making this such a fantastic place to be a Redskins fan.

BrudLee 06-02-2004 09:10 PM

I'm not sure how I found [i]The Warpath[/i], but I'm sure glad I did. Joe has hit the nail on the head - this forum is a haven for Redskins fans year round.

During the season, it's easy to find out NFL news. The amazing thing about this site, besides the great members, is that we can keep the passion for the Skins going all year. I have more meaningful discussions on this forum in March than I do in the parking lot before a game in November. Now, RedskinRat will tell you that's because of my blackout alcoholism, but I think it has to do with the spirited, yet respectful members here. Kudos to you all.

SmootSmack 06-02-2004 09:26 PM

I don't remember exactly either but I think basically I was just looking to see what fan sites were out there. I was looking for some intelligent Redskins discussions beyond just my own friends. Honestly the first thing that attracted me to the Warpath was just the clean look it had.

So I spent several months just a guest, checking it maybe once a week to see what people had to say. I was a bit nervous at first about posting myself. Finally last November I decided I'd give it a shot and took my first step into Warpath manhood. Been hooked ever since.

MTK 06-02-2004 09:27 PM

Yep that's right guys, I'm responsible for bringing JC into the fold, just remember that next time you're reading a camp report, I think that's worth some votes for myself on the moderator poll!

;)

Seriously though, I remember checking out Joe's work on allsports and thinking, damn, I've gotta get this guy over to The Warpath. Joe is definitely my MVP of The Warpath.

MTK 06-02-2004 09:35 PM

The clean look of the site is always a compliment I enjoy. Fan sites have their own niches, some are all about razzle dazzle, others are packed with info, etc. I wanted this site focused entirely on the discussions, that's why there are little graphics, no pics in signatures, and a simple layout. I come from the school of less is more, it's nice to see that people recognize that and appreciate it.

Daseal 06-02-2004 09:47 PM

Like everyone else I'm just stoked I found this place. I've learned a lot from reading this site, and have successfully made more enemies than I thought ever possible! I learned about the site through Cpayne who hounded me to read it for months before I finally did!

Thanks Cpayne!

azskinsfan2 06-02-2004 09:51 PM

It's kinda hard to remember (yesterday is hard to remember). It was over a year ago and I was just looking for different stuff on the Skins. This was one of the first sites I found (and one of the last) (definitely the best too). This site totally beats the Redskins official site all to heck. Keep up the great job Matty and all the moderators!!!!!! This site rocks!!!!!!!!!

PSUskinsfan11 06-02-2004 10:07 PM

I was searching for stuff about LaVar for a power point I was doing in class and this site came up. Glad I found it keeps me ahead of my uncle who is the biggest skins fan I know.

ronsmith52 06-02-2004 10:41 PM

Got this linked at WashingtonPost.com. Have enjoyed all the news and post from Skins Fans as well as Cowboy Haters.
Thanks,
Ronny

RedskinRat 06-02-2004 11:13 PM

Looking for the Warpath magazine and found that this was more fun, more informed and lively.

Gmanc711 06-02-2004 11:17 PM

I, too was looking for the Warpath magazine and stumbled around this site. I just checked it out every now and then, but since my high school playing days are over, I didnt have my own team to worry about, I became much more vocal in antalizing the skins and all their moves. So I decided to start posting, and it actually made the losses easier to have some people to vent too, who understand how I feel ( this sounds like some love line ). I do love this place though, you guys do a awsome job running it.

cpayne5 06-03-2004 08:40 AM

[QUOTE=Daseal]Like everyone else I'm just stoked I found this place. I've learned a lot from reading this site, and have successfully made more enemies than I thought ever possible! I learned about the site through Cpayne who hounded me to read it for months before I finally did!

Thanks Cpayne![/QUOTE]
Funny thing is, I can't remember how I found out about it.

SkinsRock 06-03-2004 10:18 AM

I think I found it from the link on the Wash post site. I just read it for months before I decided to join in the fun and actually start posting.
This is definitely by far the best Skins site. I too believe in the "less is more" philosophy, and all the crap on most of the other fan sites is just too distracting.