Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Lets Go Pistons (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=1463)

Carnage 06-10-2004 01:58 PM

I hate the Lakers too, but that 3 of Kobe's was epic.

SmootSmack 06-10-2004 02:45 PM

I always find it interesting that people hate teams like the Yankees and Lakers because their owners spend money on the team and gets results (i.e. championships) Here in the DC area we have a couple of teams that undeniably have spent some serious money the last few years (talking about the Skins and Orioles) but without any positive results so far. If they had won several titles would we be saying we hate these teams? I doubt it.

Bottom line, as an Orioles fan I don't like the Yankees and since Magic stopped playing I'm sort of indifferent toward the Lakers but I'm not going to say I hate them because they try to win and they succeed.

cpayne5 06-11-2004 09:10 AM

Go Lakers :D

cpayne5 06-11-2004 09:12 AM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]Bottom line, as an Orioles fan I don't like the Yankees and since Magic stopped playing I'm sort of indifferent toward the Lakers but I'm not going to say I hate them because they try to win and they succeed.[/QUOTE]

You should hate the Yankees because of what happened in the '96 ALCS. Ok, so the Yankees didn't really cheat, but they did reward the cheater by giving him box seats to numerous games the next year. Punks.

SmootSmack 06-11-2004 11:26 AM

[QUOTE=cpayne5]You should hate the Yankees because of what happened in the '96 ALCS. Ok, so the Yankees didn't really cheat, but they did reward the cheater by giving him box seats to numerous games the next year. Punks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Jeffrey Meier is a punk, no doubt about it. I have a personal conflict regarding the Yankees because my cousin plays for them so at the very least I have to root for him

Dave Butz Baby! 06-11-2004 11:35 AM

Last night's game was great! 20 point blowout! With all the ex-Bullets (sorry, still can't bring myself to call them the Dumbledores), Rip the UConn Husky, as good a defense that the NBA has ever seen, and being written off by all the "pundits" before the series even started is making me root like hell for them.

It's sad I hate the Lakers so much (just as I hate the Yanks, Duke, and the Cowrhoids). When I was a kid, I wanted to be Kareem in the worst way... I did thousands and thousands of sky hooks in the driveway. I loved those Laker teams! Kareem, Magic, Coop, Rambis, Worthy, A.C.....

MTK 06-11-2004 11:39 AM

I grew up a Celtics fan so hating the Lakers is just natural, it has nothing to do with the money they spend, in fact I like Shaq and Kobe as individual players, just don't like the team.

Dave Butz Baby! 06-11-2004 12:06 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]I grew up a Celtics fan so hating the Lakers is just natural, it has nothing to do with the money they spend, in fact I like Shaq and Kobe as individual players, just don't like the team.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it seems that people our age were divided in three camps as kids... Lakers, Sixers, and Celts. I loved Dr. J, but hated the Sixers in general and just couldn't stand the Celts.

I think it's the fact that I can't stand Kobe is why I hate them now. He always just struck me as a spoiled brat. That game this season where he decided that he didn't like the criticisms about his selfishness so he didn't shoot all game was the all time low. What a baby. That and I think Rick Fox should walk in front of a bus. Then I can give Vanessa a call.... Me-ow!

Shaq is a great great player, one of the all time best centers. I'd have loved to see him play in a time when low post players were far more of a widespread force than they are now. I'm looking forward to Okafor coming into the league next year... he's old school.

C'mon Dumbledores... pull off a trade for that #1 pick and draft him! Or in thinking about it, maybe not. I want Okafor to have a good career, so DC might not be the best place for him. ;)

SKINSnCANES 06-11-2004 12:38 PM

wow, Phil Jackson better have a long talk with those boys today...

Anyone think the Wizards will ever make the playoffs again?

JWsleep 06-11-2004 12:48 PM

Watching Hamilton play is the best evidence that it will be a long time before the wizards make the playoffs. How do you give up a guy like that?

Go Pistons.

SmootSmack 06-11-2004 12:53 PM

If Hamilton were still here he'd still be playing no-defense, disappearing in the 4th quarter and complaining about not getting to be the man. It's the curse of Les Boulez. MCI Center, where all stars come to die

Dave Butz Baby! 06-11-2004 01:20 PM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]If Hamilton were still here he'd still be playing no-defense, disappearing in the 4th quarter and complaining about not getting to be the man. It's the curse of Les Boulez. MCI Center, where all stars come to die[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't think that would be the case if Rip were still here. He ended up being traded to Detroit by Jordan because Rip used to complain about Jordan not being a team player, not because he wanted to be the man. He knew that Jordan was the man, but everyone who saw him play here knows Jordan was a damn selfish player as a Wizard and he constantly tripped over his own ego. I think every Wizard gave up by the end of the third quarter because in Jordan's eyes, he thought no one but himself was worth a crap. Having a boss like that would drive me nuts too.

SmootSmack 06-11-2004 01:24 PM

Except when Jordan hurt his knee a couple of years ago and had to be shelved for the last few weeks of the season the Wizards were in the playoffs. I would have thought then that Hamilton would step up with Jordan out and be the team leader but a.) he didn't and b.) the team again didn't make the playoffs.

I covered the Wizards that year for my job and all Rip would talk about in the locker room was how he should be the man and if given the chance he'd prove that he could lead the team to the playoffs.

Dave Butz Baby! 06-11-2004 01:51 PM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]I covered the Wizards that year for my job and all Rip would talk about in the locker room was how he should be the man and if given the chance he'd prove that he could lead the team to the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. So what exactly do you do for a living? Aren't you with a TV station doing something sports-related? (obviously)

Can you get me tix?

;)

SmootSmack 06-11-2004 02:05 PM

[QUOTE=Dave Butz Baby!]Gotcha. So what exactly do you do for a living? Aren't you with a TV station doing something sports-related? (obviously)

Can you get me tix?

;)[/QUOTE]

I used to be a tv producer (did news and sports). Had the pleasure of working for 5 years with Frank Herzog. But anyway I left that a couple of years ago to go to grad school and start my own company.

I should say though that I don't want to give the impression that Rip is an a-hole. He's not. He's a good guy. Rod Strickland, now there was an ass!