Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A "Walk Off Touchdown" ?? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=14718)

Beemnseven 10-02-2006 08:55 PM

A "Walk Off Touchdown" ??

Did anyone else catch Enberg say that when Moss caught the game winning TD? He called it a "walk off" touchdown. That's three references I've heard this year so far. Another by a local writer in my paper's sports page this morning.

Now, it's bad enough that an absurd baseball term has wormed its way into football jargon - which stands just fine on its own, thank you very much. But the phrase itself just doesn't make any sense.

If two kids are playing Battleship, does the last ship that goes down qualify as a "walk off" sinking? If you get lucky on your lottery numbers this week, did you win a "walk off" scratcher? If you and your buddies get together to play some poker on Thursday night, does the winner of a round call it the "walk off" winning hand?

Who thought of this ridiculous term, and why are we using it in football?

12thMan 10-02-2006 09:01 PM

Re: A "Walk Off Touchdown" ??

I think it was something that was said in the moment. It could catch on, but when was the last time if ever you saw a game, an overtime end in such fashion with such drama.

I think it was phrased coined for yestersday's game.

Alvin#40 10-02-2006 09:10 PM

What's wrong with it? You score a touchdown, then you walk off the field because game is over. Just because it is done much more in baseball means nothing.

Beemnseven 10-02-2006 09:16 PM

[QUOTE=Alvin#40;222959]What's wrong with it? You score a touchdown, then you walk off the field because game is over. Just because it is done much more in baseball means nothing.[/QUOTE]

So when a team has a comfortable lead as time runs out, and they just kneel down, should we start calling it a "walk off" kneel down?

How about when the game ends on a field goal? A "walk off" field goal? Or how about a "walk off" field goal miss?

What about a Hail Mary pass that falls incomplete? Is it a "walk off" incomplete pass?

Alvin#40 10-02-2006 09:56 PM

[quote=Beemnseven;222961]So when a team has a comfortable lead as time runs out, and they just kneel down, should we start calling it a "walk off" kneel down?

How about when the game ends on a field goal? A "walk off" field goal? Or how about a "walk off" field goal miss?

What about a Hail Mary pass that falls incomplete? Is it a "walk off" incomplete pass?[/quote]
I got one. How about you do a "walk off" post. :)

SmootSmack 10-02-2006 10:06 PM

Alvin#40 with the burn...

Anyhow, I'm not sure if you were asking this in your initial post Beem but the term "walk off" originated with Dennis Eckersley, I think when he was a relief pitcher with Oakland. After giving up a game winning homerun in the bottom of the 9th he was asked something to the extent of how did he feel. To which he replied, when something like that happens there's nothing you can do but "walk off" the field.

MightyJoeGibbs 10-02-2006 10:15 PM

[quote=Alvin#40;222976]I got one. How about you do a "walk off" post. :)[/quote]

Oh Sh*t, Alvin is a crazy ass dude

ArtMonkDrillz 10-02-2006 10:21 PM

Santana Moss also had a [B][I]hat trick[/I][/B] last night.

Gmanc711 10-02-2006 10:35 PM

I like it, it IS a walkoff TD.

And, btw, the first Redskins Walkoff I've ever seen. I've called it a walkoff all day lol, funny someone said that.

VTSkins897 10-02-2006 11:00 PM

santana moss wins games, period.

mike340 10-02-2006 11:04 PM

This phrase is pure and utter BS. For the Jags it was a walk-off TD. But for the Redskins it was anything but. If you think it was, show me a Redskin that was WALKING after that TD. A hop-off TD, a run-off TD, a dance-off TD I remember...

[QUOTE=Alvin#40;222959]What's wrong with it? You score a touchdown, then you walk off the field because game is over. Just because it is done much more in baseball means nothing.[/QUOTE]

Skins fan 44 10-02-2006 11:28 PM

[FONT="Impact"][SIZE="7"]WALK OFF, WALK OFF[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE="7"]WALK OFF, WALK OFF[/SIZE]

CRT3 10-03-2006 05:56 AM

What is really interesting to note is, in the years that there has been OT in games only 3 have ended with a TD. All others field goals or ties. So it is rare to have a walk off TD.

That Guy 10-03-2006 06:09 AM

[quote=CRT3;223051]What is really interesting to note is, in the years that there has been OT in games only 3 have ended with a TD. All others field goals or ties. So it is rare to have a walk off TD.[/quote]

only three? cause we've been a part of two of them in the last two years (LT at fedex, moss at fedex). I guess it's possible, but that does seem a bit low.

and it is a walk off TD. you're analogy to battleship makes no sense at all. and it wouldn't be a walk off kneel down, since the term is used for a last minute play that results in a win when the other team won't have a chance to respond. A kneel down only happens when you're already ahead and just killing time. I mean, a game deciding homerun that's hit in the 3rd inning or the last pitch in the ninth aren't referred to as a walk off home run or a walk off pitch, so i have no idea why you'd think that the term should apply to a kneel down in the first place.

there's some seriously faulty logic in your complaints.

Paintrain 10-03-2006 07:50 AM

While we are complaining about obscure meaningless terms, can I get a moratorium on 'trickeration'? It was funny and clever 4 years ago but I think if I hear Dick Stockton or Dick Enberg or hell, any white guy over the age of 55 use it I will have to mute my TV for the rest of the game..

Beemnseven 10-03-2006 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=Alvin#40;222976]I got one. How about you do a "walk off" post. :)[/QUOTE]

Meaning I win the argument? Fine by me!

Beemnseven 10-03-2006 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=That Guy;223053]only three? cause we've been a part of two of them in the last two years (LT at fedex, moss at fedex). I guess it's possible, but that does seem a bit low.

and it is a walk off TD. you're analogy to battleship makes no sense at all. and it wouldn't be a walk off kneel down, since the term is used for a last minute play that results in a win when the other team won't have a chance to respond. A kneel down only happens when you're already ahead and just killing time. I mean, a game deciding homerun that's hit in the 3rd inning or the last pitch in the ninth aren't referred to as a walk off home run or a walk off pitch, so i have no idea why you'd think that the term should apply to a kneel down in the first place.

there's some seriously faulty logic in your complaints.[/QUOTE]

Got it.

Why don't we just start referring touchdowns to "home runs" while we're at it?

724Skinsfan 10-03-2006 10:14 AM

[quote=Beemnseven;223104]Got it.

Why don't we just start referring touchdowns to "home runs" while we're at it?[/quote]

Not a bad idea, but I don't think everyone likes baseball or it's terminology and they may get upset if we do start mixing the two sport's distinctive and colorful phrasings. ;)

RiggoRules 10-03-2006 10:14 AM

[quote=That Guy;223053]only three? cause we've been a part of two of them in the last two years (LT at fedex, moss at fedex). I guess it's possible, but that does seem a bit low.

there's some seriously faulty logic in your complaints.[/quote]

There was also an OT TD at Fedex where Dallas ran a flea flicker to win the game.

SmootSmack 10-03-2006 10:17 AM

Didn't the Redskins also win the first ever game at FedEx on a Westbrook TD in OT against the Cardinals?

And there was this [URL="http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-rewind/14722-redskins-rewind-nov-2-1986-vikings.html#post223039"]game[/URL]

hurrykaine 10-03-2006 10:30 AM

[QUOTE=Beemnseven;223104]Got it.

Why don't we just start referring touchdowns to "home runs" while we're at it?[/QUOTE]

I see you're having a Tony Kornheiseresque moment here, Beem. This seems like it would be ideal material for a TK column. The football purist in you is taking exception to the adulteration by baseball terms. Recommended listening: George Carlin on the "Football is for real men and baseball is for pansies" issue - will reinforce your view.

However, you should know that there are many terms, integral to football, that didn't originate within the sport. For e.g., "taking a knee" came from boxing.

MTK 10-03-2006 11:07 AM

Who cares, we walked off the field winners and that's all that matters.

Oh by the way, this is my walk off post.

;)

ArtMonkDrillz 10-03-2006 11:14 AM

I love mixing sports analogies. (heheheehe, [I]anal[/I]ogies)

I was at a Nationals game earlier this year where Soriano hit 3 home runs. We were really close to the field, so after the 3rd one I started yelling "HAT TRICK" and I chucked my hat onto the field right in front of the dugout. Needless to say, I was completely trashed and had to ride the Metro home with a really bad case of hat-head, but still.

onlydarksets 10-03-2006 11:19 AM

I like "game-ending" better than "walk-off". I also like pizza - pepporoni is my favorite. No veggies.

hurrykaine 10-03-2006 11:22 AM

[QUOTE=onlydarksets;223155]I like "game-ending" better than "walk-off". I also like pizza - pepporoni is my favorite. No veggies.[/QUOTE]

I prefer "season-changing" to game-ending.

ArtMonkDrillz 10-03-2006 11:25 AM

Would you guys have considered it a "walk-off" touchdown if the Skins had been going towards the other endzone and Moss just kept running straight into the locker room?

That Guy 10-03-2006 11:30 AM

[quote=Beemnseven;223104]Got it.

Why don't we just start referring touchdowns to "home runs" while we're at it?[/quote]

looks like you didn't get it, despite claims to the contrary. this is obviously going to turn into a worthless arguement if it hasn't already, so whatever, have fun.

GTripp0012 10-03-2006 11:42 AM

[quote=12thMan;222956]I think it was something that was said in the moment. It could catch on, but when was the last time if ever you saw a game, an overtime end in such fashion with such drama.

I think it was phrased coined for yestersday's game.[/quote] Skins-Chargers 2005? Oh wait, that was pain and suffering, according to many analysts, effectively ending our playoff hopes.

Beemnseven 10-03-2006 02:40 PM

[QUOTE=That Guy;223053]and it is a walk off TD. you're analogy to battleship makes no sense at all. and it wouldn't be a walk off kneel down, since [B]the term is used for a last minute play that results in a win when the other team won't have a chance to respond[/B]. A kneel down only happens when you're already ahead and just killing time. I mean, a game deciding homerun that's hit in the 3rd inning or the last pitch in the ninth aren't referred to as a walk off home run or a walk off pitch, so i have no idea why you'd think that the term should apply to a kneel down in the first place.

there's some seriously faulty logic in your complaints.[/QUOTE]

Using your own definition of "walk off" then my example DOES work. Kneeling down in the last minute also doesn't give the opponent a chance to respond. Sinking the last ship in a game of Battleship wins the game without giving the opponent a chance to respond since his ship has been destroyed. You can go on and on with that insane term.

Faulty logic indeed.

Monkeydad 10-03-2006 04:35 PM

[IMG]http://www.ericneuhaus.com/images/neuhaus-340-Walk_it_off_wit.jpg[/IMG]

That Guy 10-03-2006 07:50 PM

[quote=Beemnseven;223291]Using your own definition of "walk off" then my example DOES work. Kneeling down in the last minute also doesn't give the opponent a chance to respond. Sinking the last ship in a game of Battleship wins the game without giving the opponent a chance to respond since his ship has been destroyed. You can go on and on with that insane term.

Faulty logic indeed.[/quote]

stop being so dense. a last minute play [B]to win the game[/B]. kneeling down doesn't put points on the board. Again, you're saying the last pitch in the 9th inning should be called a walk off pitch (and no one has EVER called it that). it's extremely faulty logic and this is why this thread is worthless. maybe i should have appended that it sshould be used for athletic endeavors, cause honestly, no one's going to use it in battleship, and you know that as well as i do :P. you've dug in so far that you're not going to be reasonable and argueing with you about this is just a waste of my time. See the huddle, shane, sunra, etc threads from a year ago. you're not going to change your mind and you're convinced of your own faulty logic.

and you wouldn't call a touchdown a home run. you know why? cause it's already got a name, which is called a touchdown. you're not argueing to change that to "a scoring play that's worth 6 points." walk off may be from baseball, but the term fits, so why try to create a new term when you already have one that works? in japan, a hot dog is a hot dog (hot-o doga) cause they'll use american words for things that they don't have names for, and english does the same thing (ie, buffalo). I have no idea why you're so worked up about this, but you seem to be the only one.

gibbs4life 10-04-2006 11:15 AM

[quote=VTSkins897;223007]santana moss wins games, period.[/quote]

yes he does as he walked off the field.

in a walk off fashion..

Stuckinphilly 10-04-2006 05:53 PM

[quote=12thMan;222956]I think it was something that was said in the moment. It could catch on, but when was the last time if ever you saw a game, an overtime end in such fashion with such drama.

I think it was phrased coined for yestersday's game.[/quote]

I [SIZE=7]REALLY [/SIZE][SIZE=2]hate to bring this up but.............. LT had a "Walk-Off" run in OT last year to beat us, along with a walk-in the endzone TD to tie the game. GOD that guys great, but I still LOVE ME SOME CP!!!![/SIZE]

STPainmaker 10-04-2006 09:02 PM

This must be a retarded joke. Who gives a cowboys uncle about this shit.

That Guy 10-04-2006 09:54 PM

that's what i'm saying.

mike340 10-04-2006 10:09 PM

I don't think this is a "walk-off" TD. Why?
How often do you hear about a walk-off single. Almost never. But a walk-off homer, absolutely. I believe the reason for this is that the runner in a game-ending single cannot take his leisure in his part in the game until the game is over. But for a walk-off homer, the batter can take all the time he likes before the game is finished (think of the time Barry Bonds takes adoring his home runs.) So I think the following criteria are necessary for an event to be considered "walk-off".
1) The event must put one of the teams ahead when it wasn't before. (No walk-off double plays.)
2) The action causing the event must be performed by the team that goes into the lead. (I don't believe in walk-off balks.)
3) The other team has no way to retake the lead by the rules of the game.
4) There is some other action to be completed before the end of the game which is necessary by the rules to win the game. Furthermore, this action can be performed by the athlete at his leisure (i.e. he can walk when accomplishing this action.) (no walk-off singles.)

I could try to be more technical, but I think it would be pointless. Note that, by this definition, in baseball one can have a walk-off home run and a walk-off ground rule double.

Sorry to belabor the point, but this expression (walk-off TD) just bothers me.
(Of course, I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.)

dmek25 10-04-2006 10:09 PM

excuse me while i yawn. this is a retarded discussion

RedskinRat 10-04-2006 10:27 PM

We need more pictures of Hess posted, this thread is getting all snippy.

That Guy 10-04-2006 11:50 PM

[quote=mike340;224075]
4) There is some other action to be completed before the end of the game which is necessary by the rules to win the game. Furthermore, this action can be performed by the athlete at his leisure (i.e. he can walk when accomplishing this action.) (no walk-off singles.)
[/quote]

like an endzone dance ;)? Or a gatorade bath? I mean, it's not like running the bases after a home run is anything mroe than a technicality anyways. No more so than the final 10 yards of a TD run when no one is within 20 yards of you.

SmootSmack 10-04-2006 11:59 PM

[QUOTE=dmek25;224076]excuse me while i yawn. this is a retarded discussion[/QUOTE]

excuse me while I kiss the sky...ok your turn to post a classic song quote