Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Parcells apologizes for racial slur (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=1480)

MTK 06-08-2004 03:08 PM

Parcells apologizes for racial slur

Haha what a dope, real classy there tuna!

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1817592"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1817592[/url]

SmootSmack 06-08-2004 03:21 PM

Parcells and [URL=http://www.canada.com/sports/football/story.html?id=9631084D-07CC-42ED-A717-49BE2B1A864F]Junior Seau[/URL] win the "foot in mouth" awards for last week.

Really, they both should know better. They've been in the public eye long enough to know what to say and what not to say

Big C 06-08-2004 05:23 PM

i hate that man. first, he makes the cowboys a winner again. then he wears his shorts way, way too high for anyone to wear them. then he makes fun of japanese ppl and sits there sayin theres no disrespect meant by it, not realizig it was wrong? no, just not a good guy. coach gibbs wouldnt do that.

itvnetop 06-08-2004 05:25 PM

I think what's even worse is the fact he didn't even know that his pre-offensive remark was just as offensive- "No disrespect for the 'Orientals'"???

saden1 06-08-2004 07:05 PM

As an African American, Japanese America, Indian American, Irish American, Latino American I am offended!!!!

p.s. What's wrong with "Pearl Harbor Plays" Bill??? What's wrong with it I ask!!

Big C 06-08-2004 07:09 PM

or just secret plays, or special plays, or trick plays

sportscurmudgeon 06-08-2004 07:21 PM

For all of you who are so easily offended, please stop urging the defensive coaches this year to "blitz" more often. Think about the horrible memories you might bring back to those survivors of the blitzkrieg in WW II. Oh, and what if you offended a German-american with that terminology.

Ade Jimoh Fan Club 06-08-2004 07:25 PM

And we shouldn't use the word "sack" anymore since it could offend testicular cancer survivors.

Seriously, you homos, errr, people need to lighten up. Parcells IS a fag though. Ooops! Dammitt!

itvnetop 06-08-2004 07:48 PM

Would you question the offensiveness of "porch monkey plays" or "lawn jockey counter-treys"?

Most people probably would- such terms are rooted in deep seeded hatred spanning back decades.

But "Jap" and "Oriental" should not be taken as offense? You're kidding me right? Just because Asian-Americans are a much more marginalized group (not discrimation-wise necessarily, more along political and social influence within the context of American culture) today, does that mean these terms are okay to accept as an Asian-American? Am I too PC because someone uses the term "Jap", which is definitely attached to a negative connotation. People were not using this word as a sign of austerity back in the 60s... And the term "Oriental" denotes "East of Europe" (although Webster's will probably have a more eurocentric definition), relagating the Asian regions as an foriegn land to a centralized Europe. Not to mention, "Oriental" is commonly used to describe objects (not people) nowadays.

Sorry for the spout- don't wanna start a flame war with ya SC or Ade... just wanted to explain why it's "easily offensive" to some of us. Trust me, I'm not one to get hot and bothered over alot of stuff too many people focus wasted energy on (some people take stuff way too seriously as it is). But let's be honest- Parcells would have been summarily fired if he had called a play the "fried chicken waggle." OK, he's not being fired for his "Jap" comment- I'll accept that... but he's not even being fined? Also, did anyone notice that the journalist never even noticed the "oriental" comment. Just today in my email box, i received about four or five messages from friends (Asian and non-Asian) discussing just the "oriental" thing.

That's the whole point of me going off i guess... it's the double standard that exists- how many people got pissed off at Rush Limbaugh for saying the media wants a black quarterback to succeed? In fact, i remember close to 75 percent of the 'path was angry posters that day. Needless to say he got fired. IMO, Parcells was way less tactfull by naming a bunch of plays "Jap Plays." Yet how many people are up in arms about it? How much punishment is Parcells receiving? The whole point of my rant is not to stir up arguments (god knows we're all skins fans here- we've got a common goal). I just wanna question some of the subterfuge that exists right now...

peace all

RedskinRat 06-08-2004 07:53 PM

Who's left to pick on? I can't wait for the Martians to tun up, I have a lot of venom and hate stored up.

SmootSmack 06-08-2004 08:07 PM

What really struck me as odd with Parcells' remarks were that it seemed like he was aware that he was about to offend some people so he prefaced it with his "no offense to Orientals" remark. I guess my thing is if you know what you're about to say could offend people then why say it?

Riggo44 06-08-2004 08:23 PM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]What really struck me as odd with Parcells' remarks were that it seemed like he was aware that he was about to offend some people so he prefaced it with his "no offense to Orientals" remark. I guess my thing is if you know what you're about to say could offend people then why say it?[/QUOTE]
I agree!

sportscurmudgeon 06-08-2004 11:15 PM

itvnetop:

Obviously, Parcells realized that he was running his mouth into "murky waters" in the middle of his sentence. That's why he did the "no disrepect..." interjection. Unless he thought what he was about to say might be taken disrepsectfully, it would never occur to him to make that interjection.

EXAMPLE: No one would say even the people who want to serve "Freedom Fries" instead of "French Fries" something like, "We signed this free agent defensive tackle because he - no disrespect to fat people - because he is really big and we think it will be hard to move him out of the middle."

No it would not be all right for him to have said the things you suggested he might say. But he didn't and so no one can be offended. but if he had said what he said, the outrage needs to come from where the offense aimed.

So Parcells had a sense of what he was doing and he did it anyway. For that he should apologize - which he did - and for that he should be chastized by the people he offended.

It is a bit much for everyone in the media to take offense at this statement since for the vast majority of them it is not something that relates to them. If I say that people who can't score 600 on the SAT exams (prior to the new system where there are three scores added together) are dumb, you may argue with me that there could be other factors that caused them to make such a score. But unless you are one of those people or one of your family is one of them, then your standing in terms of labeling me as a bigot or a stereotyper is a bit thin.

Some of the media honchos have called for the NFL to fine Parcells or even to suspend him for a game. Excuse me. This is a league where players refer to others associated with the league as "homos" (Shockey about Parcells) and "faggots" (Seau recently in Miami) and nothing is done about it. So why should Parcells get a game suspension? (Other than the fact of course that he is a Cowboy...)

Many in the overly-righteous wing of the media believe that the name "Redskins" is a racist slur that should be removed from the NFL whether or not the team owner wants to change it or not. I don't like that idea either.

With regard to the Rush Limbaugh remark, what he said was that he believed that the media wanted a black QB to be a success and that they (the media and not black QBs) were not as critical of poor performacne in those cases as they might be. He didn't say that black QBs weren't any good; he said they "got kid glove treatment" from the media. That was offensive to media people and they expressed their outrage - properly - and he was fired by a company whose sole business is - - the media.

itvnetop 06-09-2004 12:16 AM

Point taken SC... but I never once labeled you anything, so i'm not sure where you got the whole "labeling me as a bigot or stereotyper." If you reread my post, I'm basically offering an explanation as to why people are offended by such a statement.

Oh and btw- I am "one of those people" you are talking about, in terms of the respective group in question. But I don't know how being a part of said group gives me more of a right to call Parcells out than someone who isn't... maybe it's a matter of personal difference, but to me "Jap" is highly offensive and it's something that should be taken seriously. Have you ever been called "Jap"? I'm not even Japanese, but I've been called one numerous times when i was growing up in Virginia. And when I was called such, it wasn't because the person was trying to be my friend. I shouldn't even have had to mention this to defend my earlier post, because it shouldn't matter that I am a certain race in order to call Parcells out on this.

Apologies if you took my earlier post as an attack or something, but I still don't see where I implied anything. I was only rebutting the statement of people taking Parcells' "Jap" comment too seriously. I also pointed out the double standard to wake people up- the media was not the only group pissed at Limbaugh (do you really think ESPN fired him because he was slamming the media? Barkley is always slamming the media on TNT even though he's a part of it now... ESPN fired him because of the PUBLIC outcry of perceived racism on the part of Limbaugh) ... most fans, in addition to this board, were expressing rage at his comments. Yet there is a noticeable lack of the same emotion towards Parcells, who was actually much more blatant in his derogatory statements. I'm just making an attempt to enlighten those who don't understand why many of us are offended by the term "Jap" and "Oriental"... it's your choice whether you still don't get it or not- i'm not trying to push an agenda on anyone. Again, it's just an explanation.

SmootSmack 06-09-2004 01:46 AM

While we're on the topic, how about Larry Bird's most recent comments?!

[url]http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2004-06-08-bird-interview_x.htm[/url]

joethiesmanfan 06-09-2004 07:54 AM

Man don't ever post nothing else about the Tuna he is the enemy. He has no class he has Quincy Carter we have Brunnel and Ramsey. He has a Notre Dame reject for a back we have Portis. Blitz the hell out of us this year Tuna.

MTK 06-09-2004 08:21 AM

Doesn't 'oriental' usually refer to a rug, soup or medicine?

cpayne5 06-09-2004 10:03 AM

One thing for us non-japanese people to think about:

There was a japanese reporter in the room when Parcells said what he said. The guy didn't think twice about it until the other people started making a big deal about it. When asked if it offended him, he said no and was kind of suprised that other people were making a big deal about it.

For as long as there are distinguishing characteristics among the human race, there will always be 'offensive' remarks.

sportscurmudgeon 06-09-2004 02:41 PM

itvetnop:

My comment about "labeling me ..." was not meant for you. It was meant for the "you" in my example about taking offense calling someone dumb if they could not get a 600 on the SATs. I should have been more clear in that paragraph that I was speaking to a "mythical you" and not to the person addressed by the note.

Sorry about that.

I believe - and that does not make it absolutely right for everyone - that if you are part of the group at which the remark was directed that you indeed have a much greater standing in terms of your outrage and your discomfort. I am a white male. I do not like or condone or use racial epithets. When someone else does, I may feel uncomfortable and I may diminish the regard in which I hold the person who uses them, but any outrage that I feel has to take a backseat to that of a person directly singled out by the epithet. IMHO.

I think ESPN fired Limbaugh because they wanted to in the first place (he was not catching on as "the next big thing" and wasn't drawing viewers in the numbers they had projected) and because they were given the opportunity to do it when the PC police took Limbaugh's remarks aimed at the media and deflected them to appear as if they were aimed at Donovan McNabb. That gave ESPN the reason it needed to pull the trigger.

BTW, in case anyone thinks I am one of Limbaugh's listeners or followers, nothing could be further from the truth. I think he is a buffoon both politically and as a "radio entertainer".

sportscurmudgeon 06-09-2004 02:45 PM

smootsmack:

Regarding the Larry Bird article, the think I found most hilarious - and such an obvious attempt to take cover lest someone complain about these remarks - is the NBA statement saying they do not have a breakdown of the players in the league by race.

Boy, that would be a hard database to construct...

Puhleeeez!!!

MTK 06-09-2004 03:00 PM

I believe ESPN told Limbaugh to stay away from any hot button issues, and it only took him a few weeks to flub that up.

Phinehas 06-09-2004 05:45 PM

I don't believe for a second that Parcell was out to offend or hurt anyone. However, some were offended and hurt by what he said. (Some weren't.) In my opinion, apologies were made-to-order for this sort of scenario. On the other hand, I have a hard time comprehending how a fine or any other sort of punitive action would be justified.

If you accidentally step on someone's toe, the fact that you didn't mean to do it doesn't make the incident any less painful for the person with the mashed toe. So you apologize sincerely. And when the injured party realizes that it was an accident and that you are really sorry to have caused them pain, they accept the apology and everyone goes on with their lives. To turn and slap someone who only stepped on your toe accidentally or to take any sort of punitive action against them seems ungracious and even unreasonable to me. Slapping someone for accidentally stepping on someone else's toe seems even more inane.

Parcell verbally stepped on some toes. It hurt some people. Their pain was real and legitimate. It was clumsy of him, and knowing he was in the wrong, he apologized. I don't see any indication that he hurt anyone deliberately, nor do I get the impression that his apology was insincere. I think the gracious thing to do is for those who were personally offended to accept his apology and to move on. Fining him for being clumsy, without any evidence of ill intent, just makes no sense to me.

--Phin

ShaolinMonk81 06-09-2004 08:10 PM

I'm beginning to doubt the intelligence of some of the people on this website. The "Jap" play has been a descriptive play since after WWII. It's not like Parcells came up with this on his own. I'm so sick of the stupid p.c. bull that goes on. Thank you to the people that joked about the "blitz" and the "sack". If you want to make a difference about something, get off your high horse, stop your bitching, and apply your efforts to something that takes real character. Two of my best friends are of southeast Asian descent and neither takes offense to the term "oriental". Stop making your opinions based on what you see on CNN and try, just try to think for yourselves!

itvnetop 06-09-2004 09:10 PM

Yo Shaolin, I know you're not talking to me man... you don't even know where the hell I'm coming from or what i've been through. Just because two of your Asian friends are not offended by "Oriental" does not mean that it's okay. Your post doesn't seem to be one of "real character"

Are you saying the term "Jap" is not offensive? You must live in a very myopic world there, my friend. BTW- was I really "bitching" as you say? I thought i was offering an explanation as to why people are offended. Of course people like you refuse to look through the eyes of anyone other than your own, so you would think all we're doing is "bitching." Ask anyone of Japanese descent (or most Asian Americans for that matter) if they believe Jap is offensive.

Let me break it down one more time for you, so you can get it through your head. It's not like saying "Rice Paddy" plays (which i'm not offended by). The term "Jap" is just as bad as the "N" word. It connotates negative meaning for a large amount of people. It was used in WWII terms to describe the Japanese soldiers- and among many American citizens to describe Japanese people in general. It carries the same negative association that brought about the internment camps during WWII. Are you also saying the word "gook" is non-offensive just because it was used during the Vietnam conflict to describe Vietnamese soldiers? Just because you cannot see why something is offensive (including your two friends), it doesn't give you the right to say the offended are on "high horses", "bitching", and "lack character."

If you're so sure that the term is non-offensive, let's see you take up my offer. If you have such a "high character" to call me out on my explanation, I want to see you back your mouth up- I want you to walk around for the next week and greet every Asian-American stranger you see, "What's up Jap?" Do you also believe it's okay to drop the "N" bomb on people? Or is that "pc bull" in your words.

Oh and btw, I do make my own opinions- you have shown your own very flawed logic by associating an opinion different than yours to a "mindless" drone argument. The fact that you basically called me stupid b/c I dislike the word "Jap" shows how much character you really do have. I'd like to commend the people on here who have seen the error in Parcells' comments. I'm not even that mad at the people who don't see the flaw in it... but I won't sit there and tolerate someone questioning my intelligence because I am offended by the word "Jap." It's one thing to have an intelligent discussion... it's another thing to get entirely personal. Seems like you've crossed that line.

Sammy Baugh Fan 06-09-2004 09:20 PM

Hey itvnetop,
Give the guy some slank even if he seems wrong to you. Man we are all coming from so many different angles to be Fans together that we will clash at times. Help us understand what you feel and it will help us not make the mistake of being offensive.

Even joking I had to stop myself from telling you to not blow a bean sprout. lol Hey, I'm a southern boy and EVERYONE makes fun and jokes of us.

If the guy crossed the line with his "intent" he should say sorry so we can all move on together AS A TEAM.

peace

itvnetop 06-09-2004 09:27 PM

hey sammy... i woulda laughed at the bean sprout comment man hahahah... like i said in my first post, I'm definitely not the one to get offended at much at all. I'm a southern boy too (if you can believe it... i'm just an LA transplant), so I'm pretty much used to everything that's been thrown at me.

Like I said before, I totally understand if people don't get it- all i was originally trying to do was offer an explanation of the other side and if people still didn't get it, at least i figured i still gave it a shot. I know I shouldn't have, but I guess I took Shaolin's post a little too personal... I guess it's hard not to when name-calling and intelligence is called into question. To everyone else, I hope you guys know that you don't have to walk on eggshells around me- joke aplenty aight?

Sammy Baugh Fan 06-09-2004 09:32 PM

You Da man bro!
Hey we all wear Burgundy and Gold here and we will have to try and be cool to each other.

It's life tho and that's a crap shoot.

Me personally I like all the crayons in the Box

peace

SmootSmack 06-09-2004 09:39 PM

I have this vision suddenly of Sammy Baugh Fan sitting with his guitar and a pen and paper, getting inspired by this thread to write some "We are the World" or "Imagine" type of song

Sammy Baugh Fan 06-09-2004 09:44 PM

Don't bogart that thing and hand me a guitar pick.

~writes

"I'm a skins fan and will bring world peace,
F all that I want a Super Bolw ring at least.
Let's all get along,
and sing the Hail to the Redskins song."

lol

itvnetop 06-09-2004 09:55 PM

How about a Skins rap?

Paid my bones for some Redskins seats
04 is the year Eli meets Lavar's cleats
With Portis in the backfield, defenses will fear
If Barrow don't plant ya, Taylor's bringing up the rear
Gibbs is back on the path, victims who will it be
Parcells is wishin his Tuna ass becomes a chicken in the sea
Coles is gonna burn CBs like he was going from future to the past
While Smoot's got TO stickin his Sharpie up his ass
Brunell or Ramsey, it don't matter who's callin the barks
The league is full of goldfish, FedEx is the home of sharks!

Sammy Baugh Fan 06-09-2004 10:03 PM

I like it!

Thanks

peace

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 06-09-2004 10:56 PM

Since I'm quasi-Asian-American (my father is Asian-American and my mother is Euro-American), I feel that I can see both sides of the story. On the one hand, Parcells' remark was dumb and offensive. On the other hand, he qualified his remark by specifically saying that he did not mean to offend anyone and the remark itself was not terribly perjorative. I tend to think it was stupid, Parcells knows it, he rightly apologized, and this is not really a news-worthy story.

ShaolinMonk81 06-10-2004 07:47 AM

Parcells did not come up with the term, "jap play". Most people who have played football have heard that term and know that it's a basic part of playcalling lingo. That's not to say whether it's right or wrong. Maybe it should be taken out. My point is that obviously, Parcells did not use the term to offend anybody, which he made blatently clear. Like one warpather said, the reporter from the Japanese-American football magazine wasn't at all offended. Now to indicate that I don't know what it's like to be stereotyped? You said that I refuse to look through anybody else's eyes but my own. Hey, I'm from West Virginia! You think I don't hear them all of the time? I live in Berkeley County, which is sandwiched between Maryland and Virgina. It's not far from Pennsylvania and only an hour and a half from D.C. Aren't you originally from Virginia? If so, you should know what I'm talking about. Let's see, West Virginians are poor, illiterate, inbred, missing teeth, chew tobacco, no indoor plumbing, we have sex with farm animals, run around barefoot, wives (or sisters, or a combination of the two) are always pregnant, on welfare, we're farmers...Oh, and if you don't live on a farm, you must live in a trailer park. I would be willing to bet that you have heard all of those, not to mention the terms, redneck, hick, hillbilly, etc. Half of my family lives close to D.C. and they crack on me all of the time. You know what? I take it all in stride and laugh about it. It's funny! Have you ever seen the movie, "Wrong Turn"? It is so stereotypical West Virginia and it just came out last year! Why do they get away with making something like that? Because we don't care! We know who we are, so it doesn't bother us. Personally, I feel that instead of getting your feathers ruffled, (not you personally), a lot of stereotype tensions can be cracked with humor, not with a thousand phone calls to the ACLU. A great example is Chris Rock. Listen to "Roll With the New". Everybody knows he's funny, but he's also a social genious! Bill Cosby has been attacked recently b/c of his views on his own race. Why is it that last season, Dusty Baker made a comment that white guys can't take the heat as well as blacks and hispanics and he only got a quarter of Sportscenter's worth of critism? But when Rush Limbaugh made his comments, he caught hell and got fired. I'm not saying that either was right or wrong, but treat each situation equally. Yes, I could go on a crusade about it, but I don't think that either was trying to attack a certain people or race.
Another thing that you're blowing out of proportion, is that the term, "Jap" was used to describe Japanese people. That would be pure ignorance to call any Asian a Jap. That just doesn't make sense. Alright, time for me step off of my milk crate. I could go on, but I think you have a better idea of what I mean. I believe that all races are equal, but picking at every comment that could be stretched is not the answer. Determine the meaning behind the words, not the words themselves.

ShaolinMonk81 06-10-2004 01:29 PM

I do bleed burgundy and gold. The rhymes are great! I will apologize for one thing; for using this forum as a way to take a social stand. That's not its intent. This is a pure, beautiful website devoted to one of the greatest teams in the world and that's the way we should keep it. Although I defended the Tuna, I still want to kick his and the Cowboys asses this season! Hail to the Redskins!