Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Remember Lionel Dalton? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=1493)

SmootSmack 06-09-2004 09:13 PM

Remember Lionel Dalton?

From the Kansas City Star:

[QUOTE]The career of free-agent acquisition Lional Dalton looked to be on the rocks after two lousy seasons. If the off-season is any indication, Dalton has resurrected his career. As a backup tackle, he has been the productive player that he once was as a starter for Baltimore.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember him doing anything for the Skins last year, that would suck if he's suddenly a stud defensive tackle

joecrisp 06-09-2004 09:22 PM

Hmmm... I'm not sure how a player's performance in minicamps and OTAs without full pads and full contact equates to productivity-- much less resurrecting one's career.

Hey KC Star, let's see how Dalton performs in the August heat during two-a-days, with full pads and live hits, or maybe even a regular season game, before we start nominating him for comeback player of the year.

Jeez, and I thought [i]I[/i] sounded overly optimistic with [i]my[/i] camp reviews!

Darock 06-09-2004 09:50 PM

Heard that JC! They are dreamers.... :laughing-

sportscurmudgeon 06-09-2004 10:26 PM

Joe Crisp:

I agree with you 100%.

There is one thing that you MIGHT be able to say about a player in minicamp and OTA sessions that MIGHT make you think that he MIGHT have a new attitude. Dalton might have shown up in minicamp in great condition and then continued to work hard on his conditioning and on his technique. That was NOT the hallmark of Dalton's career in Denver or here in DC.

But until he does it against live competition in full pads when it counts, I'll remain a skeptic. The leopard does not change his spots...

Big C 06-09-2004 10:45 PM

i think he should go to the pro bowl already

MTK 06-09-2004 10:46 PM

Dalton definitely won't be labeled a camp scrub that's for sure!

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 06-09-2004 10:47 PM

I never thought Dalton was all that bad. Sure he was never and will never be a quality starting DT, but he is a decent starter. He showed some talent last year and remember, he came to Washington after camp. It also has to be remembered that the company surrounding Dalton on the Dline made him look worse than he really is.

Big C 06-09-2004 10:50 PM

dalton is undersized, only 6-0 or 6-1, but he is a wide body, at the least he occupied blockers

SKINSnCANES 06-10-2004 01:13 AM

Its hard to tell if anyone on our dline did anything last year. So many bad things happened on that line that you area always left wondering whos mishap had the most to do with any play they gave up. It seemed at times like everyone on the line was solid, but none of them got pressure. We had a ton of runblockers but no pass rushers, and we dont really have any things year either. Stoppign the run becomes really hard when they cant get any pressure on the pass to get them to run.

Drift Reality 06-10-2004 10:19 AM

I think Dalton was not that great, but also mis-managed. I think we certainly had some guys who may have been capable of more; but we sort of lumped them all into the unit at the end of training camp, didn't give them clearly defined roles, and said, "let's play ball!"

Defensewins 06-10-2004 10:21 AM

Last year we had a D-line of cast-offs from other teams. All of these players like Lional Dalton, were released from their prior teams for a reason or two. Mostly bacause they are not great players.
We have not drafted a single d-lineman high in the draft in a long time. The Redskins better devote the next several drafts to d-line. Mr. Snyder you need to curb your desirer for Offensive skill postion players. NO more WR's, RB's or QB's please.

Carnage 06-10-2004 10:43 AM

The KC star has not seen a decent tackle in a few years.

memphisskin 06-10-2004 11:06 AM

KC was one of the few teams that we outplayed defensively last year, so of course Dalton is a huge upgrade. But everyone blossoms at different times and in different circumstances, so maybe this is his spot. But if the guy isn't on our roster who cares anymore? I'd take Noble over him 10 out of 10 times.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 06-10-2004 12:13 PM

Dalton was cut by the Broncos because he was being paid a ton of money and wasn't earning every dollar, not necessarily because he was a scrub. I'm not saying he was Anthony McFarland or Warren Sapp, but I am saying that he was a good backup DT.

SKINSnCANES 06-10-2004 12:21 PM

this has nothing to do with this tread, but I just noticed Ramseyfan's quote. I dont know if you had that there before, I dont remember it being that but thats one of those things that really gets my aggrivated. I know this year when I go to a Skins game its going to be filled with Skins colors, but the last few years there were always as many fans for the other team as there were Skins fans and it made me sick. Its not easy beign the only Skins fan in a section because two voices will never be louder than 20. I just hope Gibbs brings back the pride that we all have for being Skins fans and people come to their senses and that even if we have a bad year this year they stick in there and root for the hometeam.

Sorry guys, I flew from miami over 20 times in the four years to go to home games and its just plain annoying seeing all the fair weather fans in the stadium

Big C 06-10-2004 03:03 PM

dalton wasnt cut, he was traded to us

sportscurmudgeon 06-10-2004 03:26 PM

Thank you Big C for pointing out that Dalton was TRADED here for one of the low round draft picks we did not have this year. He was not cut by the Broncos. He fell out of favor there because he was not in top physical condition and did not play hard all the time. Oh, and yeah, he and the coaches out there didn't see eye to eye.

Just the kind of "character guy" you want to use a draft choice to get...