Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The first "official" Redskins SB Pick (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=1506)

Big C 06-12-2004 09:37 AM

wow priest holmes is actually only 30 years old...nvm

Hogskin 06-12-2004 10:39 AM

That's right, BigC, your facts of 33 and 35 were both off a bit. Holmes is 30, Green 33, and neither has shown signs of a dropoff - they each had their best season ever last year. As far as the weak receivers, I agree. However, with those same weak receivers the Chiefs clobbered every other NFL team last year in points and yardage. All of the experts I read do not expect that huge letdown by their offense that you mentioned.

And as far as age being a definitive indicator of performance, consider this: John Riggins had his best year ever in 1983 with 1347 yards for 24 TD's in 1983. He was 34 years old. And his second best year in both categories was 1984 at 35. Power backs like Holmes and Riggins seem to enjoy a longer NFL career than the shifty runners like Gayle Sayers. And QB's often enjoy great success until past 35. And even at 34, Riggo could carry over 30 times in a game and just seem to get stronger as the game went on. His big yardage was often in the 4th quarter.

Big C 06-12-2004 11:31 AM

still think theyll have a dropoff...ok i messed up...maybe though, just maybe

Hogskin 06-12-2004 11:49 AM

I hear you, Big C. We all think we know what's gonna happen, especially the experts. But your opinion is as valid as any of them...

SKINSnCANES 06-13-2004 02:18 AM

hell with just mentioning carreer best years, didnt Priest break the all time touchdown single season mark last year? The Chiefs and Packers did put up yards but it game from their hbacks, niether had great receivers. In fact id say the Chiefs have one of the weakest receivign cores in the league, but they do have Tony. And the packers had so many injuries last year. At one point wernt their three starting receivers all injured. Wasnt it Driver that had a neck injury? I had Priest and Ahman on my fantasy football team last year and thast why i won my league, they both know how to score when it coutns.

JWsleep 06-13-2004 12:36 PM

Yeah, but did they fix their D? That's their achilles heel.

Still, it's nice to see that the skins are mentioned at all in relation to the SB. Of course, it means nothing, but given the amount of negative press we get, I'll take it!

Carnage 06-16-2004 10:57 AM

Colts? I'm sorry but this SOB is crazy!

Big C 06-16-2004 10:58 AM

I dont think the Chiefs really added much on the Defensive side besides ol' Lional Dalton and their 2nd rounder Junior Siiavi

Hogskin 06-16-2004 06:29 PM

[QUOTE=Big C]I dont think the Chiefs really added much on the Defensive side besides ol' Lional Dalton and their 2nd rounder Junior Siiavi[/QUOTE]

Wow, I could not disagree with you more than I do on THIS one. The Chiefs made the most improtant upgrade to their defense that a team can make. Do you have any recollection of our Defense under Rhodes, and the sorry excuse for a defense we had the year before? Same thing here. They have replaced the defensive coordinator. The new guy, Cunnningham, was the D coordinator for the Chiefs from '95 to '98 - they had an absolutely ferocious defense. In their 13-3 season, they did it on HIS defense with a very sorry offense. One thing you should know by now from following the Redskins the past several years is that coaching is 90% of the game on defense. It has been proven over and over and over throughout the NFL through the years. When a quality DC leaves for a HC job, the D quickly goes to pure crap (unless the team is lucky enough to find another great D coach). There are just a few really good ones in the NFL. We have one again, and so do the Chiefs. Watch them and be surprised this year.

Dave Butz Baby! 06-16-2004 08:33 PM

Here you go Hogskin and Big C... [URL=http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2487852]here's a great article[/URL] from FoxSports.com about the return of Cunningham.

It pretty much nails it!

Big C 06-17-2004 07:58 AM

Of course they are going to say that hes strict and a good organizer and that kind of stuff. They are not going to bash him until the season if he doesnt succeed. The main problem with the D i see is the secondary. Theres 2 good safeties in woods and wesley, but the CB's are average at best. The linebackers, save fujita, are aging, and they have 1 proven DT in Sims.

Dave Butz Baby! 06-17-2004 10:37 AM

Big C, I completely disagree with your statement. I realize you may not have been watching football when Cunningham was the defensive coordinator for Schottenheimer, but those defenses were brutal. Unlike the Chief's 13-3 offensive juggernaut team from last year, the Schottenheimer/Cunningham 13-3 Chiefs team were led by defense and almost no offense to speak of. The Chiefs can thank Cunningham for those teams.

Using your implied logic that the coach will have nothing to do with the outcome on the field since their players are poor, the inverse must be true. We should have kept George Edwards from last year then. After all, unlike the Chiefs, we mostly have the players, so the defensive coach obviously shouldn't mean jack.

Big C 06-17-2004 10:42 AM

A good coach can help a team greatly, i know this, but i still believe that even with their new d cord., i dont think it will be enough to put them into the Super Bowl, of course they will make the playoffs, and be around 11-5, 12-4, but they will not make it far in the playoffs without some playmakers besides their safties. I understand your argument perfectly though

Hogskin 06-17-2004 12:24 PM

Big C: It seems that you still do not realize the impact that a top DC makes on a team. Go back and look at the Skins before Rhodes, under Rhodes and after Rhodes with pretty much the same guys. Look what happened under Marvin Lewis. Look at the 85 Bears D under Buddy Ryan. Look what happened after he left. Look at defensive situations and DC's throughout the NFL over the years. Yes, coaching is very important in the NFL. But on defense it is absolutely CRITICAL, and the single most important factor.

Now to the Chiefs. They have outgained and outscored everyone in the NFL for 2 straight years (amazing!!). And they were 13-3 last year EVEN with a defense that was a laughing stock - especially in the last half of the season. Now, they have "apparently" fixed the defense. But you seem to be sticking to your statement that "KC will not be there - no way". You say an improved D will not help them. I can't imagine what else they need. Of course there are no sure things, but to me, it seems they have to be a favorite to make it.

Hogskin 06-17-2004 12:27 PM

DaveButz: Just the thought of the Redskins going into this season with Edwards makes me shudder and puke!!!!

LOL - Can't wait for September!!