Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Cardinals are in the World Series!!! (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=15096)

BigRed 10-20-2006 08:55 AM

The Cardinals are in the World Series!!!

My beloved Redskins may not be Super Bowl bound this year (though I've not completely given up on it yet), but I am absolutely ecstatic that my St. Louis Cardinals are in the World Series!!! It's going to be a tough road to beat Detroit, but I hope they can at least make a series out of it like they did vs. the Mets.

What an incredible game 7! As a fan of either team, it was full of a lot of tense moments... but as a fan of baseball... WOW! A [B][U][I]GREAT[/I][/U][/B] game!

World Series prediction: Cards in 7 (please???)

MTK 10-20-2006 09:27 AM

Re: The Cardinals are in the World Series!!!

I'm bummed, the Mets had the perfect situation set up at the end. Bases loaded with Beltran at the plate. Can't believe he went down looking.

SmootSmack 10-20-2006 09:33 AM

You've got to protect the plate. That pitch was close enough that you have to take a swing at it.

All I'm saying is the Cardinals went to the WS in '82 and '87...a few months later the Redskins won the Super Bowl

BigRed 10-20-2006 09:44 AM

Reason enough for us ALL to be Cardinals fans!

[quote=TAFKAS;231563]All I'm saying is the Cardinals went to the WS in '82 and '87...a few months later the Redskins won the Super Bowl[/quote]

dall-assblows 10-20-2006 12:25 PM

i really wanted the mets to win. but now go detroit!!

but really i don't care who wins.

PWNED 10-20-2006 02:08 PM

go detroit indeed. whats up with these previously shitty teams kicking ass all of a sudden?

jsarno 10-20-2006 06:38 PM

[QUOTE=TAFKAS;231563]You've got to protect the plate. That pitch was close enough that you have to take a swing at it. [/QUOTE]

That was a beautiful 12-6 curveball!!!! You can tell it totally fooled him. That pitch is quite a knee buckler!

I am going for Detroit...I love teams that come from years of sucking to win. Hey, I was born and raised in Boston...I know how it feels!

SmootSmack 10-20-2006 06:51 PM

It's funny. Everyone talks about how there is no parity in baseball. Yet in the past 7 years (including this year) 7 different teams have won the World Series.

jsarno 10-20-2006 07:35 PM

[QUOTE=TAFKAS;231801]It's funny. Everyone talks about how there is no parity in baseball. Yet in the past 7 years (including this year) 7 different teams have won the World Series.[/QUOTE]

There is no parity in baseball...the same teams win every year...it just happened that the few that are never there are taking it the extra step and winning it all. How many times have we seen Oakland, The Yankees, St. Louis, (minus this year) the Braves in the playoffs? TOO MANY!
It just goes to show you, the ones that make it all the time get used to it, the ones that don't, don't take it for granted and make the best of their situation.

If there was parity, KC would win! hahaha

Gmanc711 10-20-2006 07:58 PM

I'm a Cardinals fan; and I was flipping out during the game. My stomach was in knots during the end of that thing, I had the worst feeling that we were gonna lose on a walk-off hr. My cardinals "fan-ness" doesnt come within 80% of my Skins, but its nice to see one of my temas doing well.

Go Cards!

dmek25 10-20-2006 08:22 PM

anyone who beats the arrogant mets is OK with me. I'm a Jim Leland fan so I'm cheering for the tigers

SmootSmack 10-20-2006 08:25 PM

I never thought of the Mets as being arrogant. How are they arrogant?

Warpath 10-21-2006 12:13 AM

Im definiely not a die hard follower of baseball but it sure doesn't seem that anyone is picking the Cards to even have a chance. Your boy Peter King said today on the Dan Patrick show that the Tigers take it in 5. My only connection to the series is that the 3rd baseman from Detroit Inge went to VCU and hung out and partied with some of my wifes best friends. Other than that I'll watch and pretty much not care.

djnemo65 10-21-2006 12:26 AM

[QUOTE=jsarno;231815]There is no parity in baseball...the same teams win every year...it just happened that the few that are never there are taking it the extra step and winning it all. How many times have we seen Oakland, The Yankees, St. Louis, (minus this year) the Braves in the playoffs? TOO MANY!
It just goes to show you, the ones that make it all the time get used to it, the ones that don't, don't take it for granted and make the best of their situation.

If there was parity, KC would win! hahaha[/QUOTE]

I think by including Oakland in your list you are undercutting your own argument. Oakland is a small market team that has been able to win consistently by drafting smart, keeping their farm leagues stocked, and letting players go when they are no longer available for cheap. How many big name free agents has Oakland signed during the last several years? How many former A's players have signed huge deals with other teams? There is no question that the odds in baseball are stacked against teams like Kansas City, but teams like Oakland prove that its possible to overcome these inequalities by being a little bit smarter.

If there was parity KC still wouldn't win, because they are one of the worst run franchises in all sports.

redrock-skins 10-21-2006 01:46 AM

Tigers in 5. A sweep would not surprise me.

MTK 10-21-2006 11:58 AM

[quote=TAFKAS;231821]I never thought of the Mets as being arrogant. How are they arrogant?[/quote]

Because they are from NY.

The '86 Mets were definitely arrogant. I don't think this team is though.

dall-assblows 10-21-2006 12:54 PM

baseball is too long and too boring.

they get paid the most for doing the least

jsarno 10-21-2006 03:39 PM

[QUOTE=djnemo65;231860]I think by including Oakland in your list you are undercutting your own argument. Oakland is a small market team that has been able to win consistently by drafting smart, keeping their farm leagues stocked, and letting players go when they are no longer available for cheap. How many big name free agents has Oakland signed during the last several years? How many former A's players have signed huge deals with other teams? There is no question that the odds in baseball are stacked against teams like Kansas City, but teams like Oakland prove that its possible to overcome these inequalities by being a little bit smarter.

If there was parity KC still wouldn't win, because they are one of the worst run franchises in all sports.[/QUOTE]

I understand your point, but I was not saying those that spend the most always make the playoffs. Just that there is no parity in baseball. Look at the NFL, THAT is parity. If we were to take a guess right now at the playoff teams for the 2007 season in MLB, we would be 90% accurate. If we did the same thing for NFL we'd be 30% accurate at best.

Just a note about the Cards...Tony Larussa either sweeps teams, or gets swept in the series...I say he gets swept.

BigRed 10-21-2006 11:26 PM

Game one is in the bag! Cards up 1-0. NOBODY thought that would happen. Even the "experts" who actually thought the Cards might win this series. (And I've only found 2 of those...)

BigRed 10-21-2006 11:27 PM

Guess the Cards are gonna sweep now!!!

[quote=jsarno;231939]Just a note about the Cards...Tony Larussa either sweeps teams, or gets swept in the series...I say he gets swept.[/quote]

SmootSmack 10-22-2006 10:19 AM

[QUOTE=djnemo65;231860]I think by including Oakland in your list you are undercutting your own argument. Oakland is a small market team that has been able to win consistently by drafting smart, keeping their farm leagues stocked, and letting players go when they are no longer available for cheap. How many big name free agents has Oakland signed during the last several years? How many former A's players have signed huge deals with other teams? There is no question that the odds in baseball are stacked against teams like Kansas City, but teams like Oakland prove that its possible to overcome these inequalities by being a little bit smarter.

If there was parity KC still wouldn't win, because they are one of the worst run franchises in all sports.[/QUOTE]

The odds maybe stacked against KC, but perhaps not to the exent some may think they are. I posted this a couple years back, but I'll repeat it again. Take the Royals's figures from 2003. They made around $20 million from revenue sharing. Plus roughly $25 million in national tv, radio money. They draw around 1.6 million fans to their stadium. Let's say that brings in another $50 million or so. Well now the Royals have $100 million dollars in revenue. Yet their major league payroll is only $46 million. Where's the rest of that money going then? It can pretty much go anywhere the owner wants it to go-stadium renovations, advertising, the team's minor league system. In theory, because of revenue sharing and the luxury tax the more money teams like the Yankees spend the more money funnels down to teams like KC who complain they don't have enough money to compete (which isn't true). If there is no rule in place to enforce that this money is spent on the major league roster that's not the fault of the high spending teams.

The other thing to keep in mind with parity is the length of the schedule. If we ended the baseball season after 16 games this year, the Orioles, Rockies, Astros, and Reds would have all made the playoffs. With the Tigers and Cardinals out, and the Yankees in the cellar. But eventually the cream rises to the top. If a football season were 160+ games, I imagine you'd start to see the same teams more often than not.