Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Why are cigarettes legal, but marijuana illegal? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=15120)

jsarno 10-20-2006 11:47 PM

Re: Why are cigarettes legal, but marijuana illegal?

[QUOTE=gusbus;231828]What happened to the foorball discussions.[/QUOTE]

They still exist over in the football threads...this is to discuss things "off topic", ie: non football / redskins related.

[QUOTE] On the harmful side, marijuan has many more side-effects than tobacco, ie one joint has as many cancer causing agents as one pack of regular cigarettes.[/QUOTE]

Ummm what? Where did you hear that? I have still yet to hear of anyone dieing of cancer caused by marijuana. I'm not saying it's great for you...heck any smoke in the lungs can't be good, but worse than cigarettes?? I need to see proof of that.

originally posted by "That guy". [QUOTE]oh yeah, and that flawed gateway drug thing.[/QUOTE]

Everything is a gateway drug! Asperin, alcohol, cigarettes, cough syrup...it's all a gateway drug. Fact is, if you have an addictive personality then anything would be bad for you. But I know guys that are addicted to pain pills, but nothing else, I know alcoholics, but they won't touch anything else, and i know pot heads that won't even drink. It has to do with your personality whether or not you will become addicted to what a drug does to you.

I used to laugh at all those old commercials like if you smoked weed, then you're a terrorist, or if you smoke weed, you'll run over some little girl. It's crap. The new commercials are better where the one kid says "nothing will happen, but I for one want to live life" implying he'd rather be outside than vegging on the sofa. At least that is realistic.

That Guy 10-20-2006 11:54 PM

i believe cigarettes are much much more likely to cause cancer, so i don't know where you got that info gus.

That Guy 10-20-2006 11:55 PM

[quote=jsarno;231844]
Everything is a gateway drug! (etc...)[/quote]

you did see that i said flawed, right?

jsarno 10-21-2006 12:06 AM

[QUOTE=That Guy;231851]you did see that i said flawed, right?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I was agreeing with you...sorry I did not communicate that properly.

jsarno 10-21-2006 12:22 AM

[QUOTE=RobH4413;231839]By the way.... pot doesn't give you cancer either...

light it uuuuup!

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html]Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection[/url][/QUOTE]

Great post rob.

Gus, fear of marijuana is what feeds the notion that it's badfor you. Your parents tell you it's bad, or the government, or whoever, but it's all out of fear. Just like anything, you need to find your own answers, not regurgitate (sp?) what you've "heard".

RobH4413 10-21-2006 12:53 AM

[quote=jsarno;231859]Great post rob.

Gus, fear of marijuana is what feeds the notion that it's badfor you. Your parents tell you it's bad, or the government, or whoever, but it's all out of fear. Just like anything, you need to find your own answers, not regurgitate (sp?) what you've "heard".[/quote]

from the article... greatness

"We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use," he said. "What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect."

That Guy 10-21-2006 01:15 AM

[quote=jsarno;231859]Great post rob.

Gus, fear of marijuana is what feeds the notion that it's badfor you. Your parents tell you it's bad, or the government, or whoever, but it's all out of fear. Just like anything, you need to find your own answers, not regurgitate (sp?) what you've "heard".[/quote]

it is bad for you. memory loss, wasted time, and overconsumption of doritos.

dall-assblows 10-21-2006 10:13 AM

give it 10 to 15 years, it'll be legal

onlydarksets 10-21-2006 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=twinskinsfan;231814]I agree, moderation. Maybe that's what Corporate America is doing, waiting for the oppurtune time. Who knows, Wal-Mart gets there way with everything, maybe they'll start selling it for cheap,and crak there whip on some poor phillapino farmer to grow it at a faster rate...."WHOOPISH, GROW IT FASTER!!!"[/QUOTE]
Corporate America doesn't want moderation - do you really think Big Tobacco wants you to smoke 2 cigarettes a day? Or that Anheiser-Pussy (I hate Budweiser) wants you to drink a couple beers a week? Uh-uh. They want to see you chain-smoking and shotgunning beers 24/7.

Until they can (at least behind closed doors) push for this with marijuana, they won't push to legalize it.

jsarno 10-21-2006 03:29 PM

[QUOTE=That Guy;231864]it is bad for you. memory loss, wasted time, and overconsumption of doritos.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see what kind of proof you have that it is bad for you (not that I believe you are wrong).
Wasted time is a weak argument at best. Stress relief trumps wasted time and memory loss any day of the week.
So what exactly is "wasted time"? Some of the best memories in my life came from when my best friend and I smoked a bowl and played playstation all day, laughing and having a great time.

(don't try that at home kids, I am a trained professional)

RobH4413 10-21-2006 03:37 PM

[quote=jsarno;231935]I'd like to see what kind of proof you have that it is bad for you (not that I believe you are wrong).
Wasted time is a weak argument at best. Stress relief trumps wasted time and memory loss any day of the week.
So what exactly is "wasted time"? Some of the best memories in my life came from when my best friend and I smoked a bowl and played playstation all day, laughing and having a great time.

(don't try that at home kids, I am a trained professional)[/quote]
Let's make video-games illegal...

When I was 15, I wasted alot of time, ate alot Dorito's... all due to video-games....

Thus far there hasn't been any conclusive scientific evidence to suggest long-term memory loss and marijuana are associated. But honestly who cares?

I think the debates over... Pot will become legal in the next 5-10 and mabye sooner. It's not something that deserves passionate political debate in the spotlight... lets start talking about crime and poverty before we go all ape-shit over something pretty insignificant.

jsarno 10-21-2006 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=RobH4413;231938]Let's make video-games illegal...[/quote]

That's a democrat thing to say. Blame the medium, not the person. hahaha

[quote]When I was 15, I wasted alot of time, ate alot Dorito's... all due to video-games....[/quote]

There have been extensive studies done that prove that video games help to develope hand / eye coordination. FYI

[quote]Thus far there hasn't been any conclusive scientific evidence to suggest long-term memory loss and marijuana are associated. But honestly who cares?[/quote]

Apparently some do, otherwise we wouldn't be in this thread discussing it.

[quote]I think the debates over... Pot will become legal in the next 5-10 and mabye sooner. It's not something that deserves passionate political debate in the spotlight... lets start talking about crime and poverty before we go all ape-shit over something pretty insignificant.[/QUOTE]

Start a thread about crime and poverty and most of us will visit it. However don't pass a thread off as insignificant because you don't like what the discussion is about. Why do people feel the need to "stop" a debate? If you choose not to participate, that's your perogative.

RobH4413 10-21-2006 05:21 PM

Make videogames illegal was a sarcastic comment jack-ass....

A democrat thing to say? Get a life.

Grow some balls and use facts to counter someones argument, not random banter that is just useless. Quoting something I say and calling it something a "democrat" would say is just plain ignorant. Fuck that I won't have it.

As far as conclusive study?
[url=http://www.safeaccessnow.org/article.php?id=672]ASA*:*Is there reputable research showing long term memory loss due to occasional or even heavy use of marijuana?[/url]

There is not any conclusive evidence as I commented earlier.

And passing this thread off as insignificant is my personal opinion, but it's only because we've already discussed everything to discuss. Why don't we gain some new ground and talk about something that matters for a little while. I'm not trying to be the moral hierarchy of the situation, but just thought some re-directed focus was probably more beneficial to everyone here... especially given the direction this thread was headed.

RobH4413 10-21-2006 05:25 PM

No personal offense, I know it probably doesn't seem it... But i'm a bit frustrated... sooo yeah... apologize for the intensity of the argument...

all love...

That Guy 10-21-2006 06:50 PM

I honestly don't think pot is soo horrible, but america was founded on puritanical values (killing people = okay, nudity = satan), so assuming it'll be legal that soon is probably off target.

It would probably lead to a decrease in crime and massive increase in tax revenue (and ease hospitals and police depts), but humans are more emotional than logical and there's still a strong family values vote out there that'd be against it, citing increased vechile accidents due to pot (which would be true), etc. there's be a decrease in deaths associated with drug trafficking etc though that'd probably be greater though, and economically there's no strong arguement against it except for the lobbying of competing corporations (beer, tobacco, etc).