Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Couch to the Packers (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=1538)

SmootSmack 06-15-2004 02:03 AM

Couch to the Packers

So Tim Couch has finally signed with the Packers and it's got me wondering, which is the more daunting task?

1. Being the starting QB on an expansion team?

or

2. Succeeding Brett Favre in Green Bay?

Redskins8588 06-15-2004 02:07 AM

#2 by far, atleast when he was the starting QB on the expansion team there really was no incumbant to be compared to.

If he does take over when Favre retires all you will hear are the comparisons of how Favre was better.

Drift Reality 06-15-2004 10:16 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with Redskins8588 - being a quarterback on an expansion team is basically having a license to suck for a few years.

On the other hand, following in the shadow of a great quarterback means you don't have a very large window of opportunity before people start calling for your head.

Dave Butz Baby! 06-15-2004 10:17 AM

Following Favre in Green Bay is no small task, but it can be done. I remember a guy named Young doing a pretty good job following a guy named Montana in San Fran.

Difficult, but not impossible.

MTK 06-15-2004 12:05 PM

Young did a great job in SF but he never quite got out of Montana's shadow.

Big C 06-15-2004 12:09 PM

The Browns are dumb to have given up on a solid but unspectacular QB here. I think he could still be a Pro Bowler someday. Garcia is over the hill, and they arent going to win anyways

Drift Reality 06-15-2004 12:25 PM

Big C,

I think he just sort of wore out his welcome.

He was the #1 pick in the draft and although I agree that he was solid; he was certainly not a franchise quarterback.

His recent battles for the starting role with a no-name (Kelly Holcomb) only served to highlight the fact that if he was going to make his mark on the NFL, it would probably be with another team.

Sometimes, a change is necessary regardless of the talent of the player.

Big C 06-15-2004 12:43 PM

this is true, but they surrounded him with no running game at all, and when they brought in a back, William Green, he got suspended. He had little, he should have hit up SF for a starting job there

saden1 06-15-2004 04:18 PM

Succeeding Brett Favre? Couch hasn't succeeded in his NFL career. To expect success from him now is illogical. Couch will be ridding the couch for a very log time.

SKINSnCANES 06-15-2004 04:20 PM

Didnt they pick Crouch pack up after his what, second retirement? lol, that could be teh anwser in Green Bay. Either way, look for Green bay to draft a QB next year.

Big C 06-15-2004 04:28 PM

Couch has been mediocre. around 60% competion, 75 QB rating. thats not bad, not good. He can be a good QB still

mizzo skins man 06-15-2004 06:51 PM

I believe that Couch is beginning his new career as a perinnial back up. Just think how long his career could be. He could back up Favre for a year or two, and everybody knows he doesn't get hurt to often. Then he could move on to the next episode. It could go on for years... or not.

Big C 06-15-2004 07:18 PM

if hes a backup for too long, hes gonna fall off the face of the earth pretty much

Riggo44 06-15-2004 08:45 PM

[QUOTE=Big C]The Browns are dumb to have given up on a solid but unspectacular QB here. I think he could still be a Pro Bowler someday. Garcia is over the hill, and they arent going to win anyways[/QUOTE]
:iamwithst

SmootSmack 06-15-2004 08:51 PM

I think the Browns letting Couch go was more a monetary issue than anything else. Holcomb is considerarbly cheaper.