Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ranking the league's best QB packages (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=1557)

SKINSnCANES 06-18-2004 02:22 PM

What are you talking about, didnt Hasselback finish the season for us after the Dolphins game?

cpayne5 06-18-2004 02:35 PM

[QUOTE=SKINSnCANES]What are you talking about, didnt Hasselback finish the season for us after the Dolphins game?[/QUOTE]
He's not saying he didn't get experience last year. He's saying that the Dallas game doesn't count as experience because of his awful performance.

SmootSmack 06-18-2004 02:36 PM

There are a couple of comments in the article that still have me thinking that teams like the Colts, Chiefs and Bengals are ranked too high

[QUOTE]For the purposes of our rankings, the goal for every team is to find two, if not three, guys with plenty of experience. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Also, this list is for the 2004 season. Future potential means next to nothing.[/QUOTE]

Hogskin 06-18-2004 04:41 PM

Smack, well given THOSE criteria, I would agree with you. But the criteria are lousy - they put WAY too much weight on the backup, ignoring overwheming talent in the first string. And, as you imply, the writer seems to have ignored his own criteria in certain situations. Lists like these will always reflect the author's biases.

Redskins8588 06-18-2004 05:25 PM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]There are a couple of comments in the article that still have me thinking that teams like the Colts, Chiefs and Bengals are ranked too high[/QUOTE]

Smootsmack I totaly agree with you and that the author went with IMO who had the better 1st string QB and not the criteria that he stated.

I still think that we should be higher than what we are, if this list was for last season then no we did not have good depth at QB.

Also Hogskin, why would you rank the Falcons higher? They are proof that you need a good quality back up QB. They went from making it to the second round of the playoffs one season to watching the playoffs the next season all because Mike Vick was injured almost the whole season and they had no one to back him up that was any good.

Big C 06-18-2004 05:31 PM

and i guarauntee mike vick will not start many games in his career because he puts himself in harms way. He has a small frame, and he runs like a running back...The Falcons deserve to be low. He will go down i promise you that.

Hogskin 06-18-2004 05:43 PM

Don't be so sure, Big C. There have been many successful, scrambling QB's going all the way back to Fran Tarkenton. Yeah, some of them lost some time from injuries, like Cunningham, but they still had many, many games, and several had as many FULL seasons as the average pocket QB. All quarterbacks are open to a lot of serious injury. Even our own Sonny, a pure pocket QB, lost a season when he stepped in a hole and tore his achilles. There is no DEFINITE that a running QB will get injured. Another example is Steve Young, who loved to scramble. And under today's rules, most guys hesitate to totally clock the QB even when he is running.

SKINSnCANES 06-18-2004 07:50 PM

If youre a scrambling QB you have a less chance of getting injured if you are running out of bounds and running away from the blitz. Vick doesnt do that, he runs right into the linebacker instead of sliding. Vick has always been injury prone in my opinon and until he gets smarter will continue to get hurt. I dont mean major things like last year, I mean the ankle spains and things liek that.

Hogskin 06-18-2004 07:57 PM

Cunningham never did stop running that way. Of course he was a lot bigger. I think Vick will learn, either on his own or by pressure from his coaches. They, more than anyone, want him on the field all season. He probably makes more difference on that entire team than any other NFL QB does just to his team's OFFENSE. The difference in that entire team when he is out there is incredible.

Big C 06-18-2004 11:25 PM

Vick got injured in college, he got injured last year, he has a small frame and runs into guys 100 pounds heavier than him constantly. It is possible that he will stay healthy, however the risk of injury is much higher, i dont know how you could argue against that.

Hogskin 06-19-2004 12:43 AM

Big C, I don't argue with that at all. I agree what he has done in the past is risky. What I was responding to, though was,

"and i guarauntee mike vick will not start many games in his career because he puts himself in harms way...He will go down i promise you that. "

Sure there is risk. Every QB is at high risk - VERY FEW make it through a 16-game season uninjured each year. I was just commenting about the definitive nature of your earlier comments.