Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Must-Read Article on GW and the Defense (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=15936)

hooskins 11-27-2006 12:36 PM

Re: Must-Read Article on GW and the Defense

[quote=redsk1;251406]I thought it was someone in the secondary, b/c of the "they" talk. "They" being the dline. It seemed to talk pretty personally of the safeties and corners. So that would leave Springs, AA, ST, or Rogers most likely.
Springs- IMO if you heard the interview, no its not
ST-i wouldn't think so, he doesn't talk to the media at all & GW goes out of his way to compliment him
Rogers-i thought this was a possibility until he spoke after the game and said he has GW back (still a possibility)
AA-more likely

There has to be some truth to this article so it's not totally bs. When you're 4-7 there will be some unhappy folks. It's probably just one person spouting off. FWIW- i don't care how much $ a player makes either, GW and Coaches shouldn't.

So, i think the letting of players go has hurt this team, mainly b/c of the "new" guys they bring in that get overpaid.[/quote]

I agree, some of this article has to be true. It isnt all the players fault, the coach bears responsibility as well, he is being paid millions of dollars to solve this problem.

Even Springs said some of the article was true.

70Chip 11-27-2006 12:52 PM

Of course some of the article is true. That's not the issue. The issue is whether or not it is appropriate for a player to run squealing to the press. I say no and all the Redskins who are on the record agree with me. Those who say its Springs have an agenda. They want the source to have credibility. They know that if the source is Rumph then the article seems a like a lot less of a big deal. There are certain people, Czaban for instance, who dislike the current regime (Snyder AND Gibbs) and want to sew mayhem and discord. Czaban is a pariah to the Redskins organiztion and this is his way of fighting back. If the UnRedskin sucks as a football player, who cares what he says? So they pretend it's Springs even after his denial.

BTW, I think it's Rumph. Everyone has latched on to th word "noteable" but reporters do that all the time. Noteable is completely subjective. You can be "noteable" for your lack of ability or playing time. You can be "notable" for being late everyday.

I also don't buy the "it's okay because they won" theory. Maybe I'm vindictive and Nixonian but I would find out who it was and cut them from the team. Even if it is a star. I hate the press. Anyone who would talk to a reporter like that is the worst kind of scum.

amorentz 11-27-2006 12:52 PM

I just emailed with Mike Florio (who runs Pro Football Talk.com) asking him to keep his ear to the ground for any leaks he may come across. He said that he thinks it's Troy Vincent. This would make some sense cause his contract is up at the end of the year and he was the starter for a while (and may yet be when he comes back from injury -- though Vernon Fox has looked good!).

I know some of you dont love his work, but I think he is dead-on accurate nearly all of the time and he definitely has an extensive network of NFL contacts both in front offices and inside locker rooms. I'll let you all know if he posts anything on the site or writes back to me!

TheMalcolmConnection 11-27-2006 12:59 PM

It would make sense. Vincent has an intimate knowlege of Williams, even though you'd think a vet wouldn't run his mouth like that, especially if he's fairly brand new.

12thMan 11-27-2006 12:59 PM

[quote=70Chip;251422]Of course some of the article is true. That's not the issue. The issue is whether or not it is appropriate for a player to run squealing to the press. I say no and all the Redskins who are on the record agree with me. Those who say its Springs have an agenda. They want the source to have credibility. They know that if the source is Rumph then the article seems a like a lot less of a big deal. There are certain people, Czaban for instance, who dislike the current regime (Snyder AND Gibbs) and want to sew mayhem and discord. Czaban is a pariah to the Redskins organiztion and this is his way of fighting back. If the UnRedskin sucks as a football player, who cares what he says? So they pretend it's Springs even after his denial.

BTW, I think it's Rumph. Everyone has latched on to th word "noteable" but reporters do that all the time. Noteable is completely subjective. You can be "noteable" for your lack of ability or playing time. You can be "notable" for being late everyday.

I also don't buy the "it's okay because they won" theory. Maybe I'm vindictive and Nixonian but I would find out who it was and cut them from the team. Even if it is a star. I hate the press. Anyone who would talk to a reporter like that is the worst kind of scum.[/quote]

While it's not appropriate to run to the press and squeal, that's pretty much life in the NFL these days. If you cut someone everytime there was an outburst or their opinion was publicly stated, you'd have teams lining up to get Tiki Barber and a few others right now.

Also, I happend to think Steve Czaban likes the Redskins and pulls for them every week. No, I haven't heard him say it, per se, but that's the feeling I get when I listen to him.

ArtMonkDrillz 11-27-2006 01:01 PM

[QUOTE=amorentz;251423]I just emailed with Mike Florio (who runs Pro Football Talk.com) asking him to keep his ear to the ground for any leaks he may come across. [B]He said that he thinks it's Troy Vincent[/B]. This would make some sense cause his contract is up at the end of the year and he was the starter for a while (and may yet be when he comes back from injury -- though Vernon Fox has looked good!).[/QUOTE]

Doesn't that seem odd considering he's only been here for a little more than a month? Plus, if he thought Williams sucked up in Buffalo, why would he choose to come down here when they released him? Something about TV being the player doesn't add up, IMO.
I don't think it has to be a player who's been here for years, per se, but I do think it's at least a guy who's been here since the preseason. AA/Rumph/Wright/Prealou (sp?) all seem to be likely suspects to me.

SmootSmack 11-27-2006 01:05 PM

Vincent has already openly talked about the discord when he arrived here, so why would he talk off the record? As for Prioleau, he was with Williams in Buffalo this guy doesn't seem to have been someone who knew GW before?

TheMalcolmConnection 11-27-2006 01:07 PM

Hmm, so Rumph seems like someone who might run his mouth. You'd definitely think it was someone who was benched.

ArtMonkDrillz 11-27-2006 01:10 PM

[QUOTE=TAFKAS;251437]As for Prioleau, he was with Williams in Buffalo this guy doesn't seem to have been someone who knew GW before?[/QUOTE]

Tushé salesman.

I do think it's a DB of some sort though. The guy seems to know how the position meetings go and how the players are communication problems on the field. That doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a DB, but it just seems most likely.
But, I've been wrong many, many, many times in the past.

724Skinsfan 11-27-2006 01:14 PM

If we're sticking with the assumption that it was someone from the secondary then I'm thinking AA. Actually, I want it to be AA so we have an even better excuse to cut him regardless of salary cap woes that will come about. That dude had one job yesterday: protecting the punter. That's it! The only thing he needed to concentrate on the whole week was how to protect the punt from getting blocked. He even f*cked that up. He doesn't want to be here.

ArtMonkDrillz 11-27-2006 01:22 PM

I don't know if this quote from fairly early on in the article came from the same guy who said the later/more critical stuff, but this sounds like something Portis would say...
[QUOTE]It's not necessarily Gibbs' fault, because he didn't draw it up this way or imagine it happening, but the almighty dollar has created too many power trips at Redskin Park, or as one Redskins player said, [B]"Too many chiefs and not enough indians."[/B] [/QUOTE]
I know this is obviously going in a completely different direction than the thoughts that I was sharing earlier, but Portis has been pretty critical of the coaching staff ever since his injury in the preseason. That being said, I think he would man-up and talk out any beef with Gibbs face-to-face rather than go behind closed doors with a reporter.

Really, I'm just grasping at straws here because I'm having a really crappy day and I need something else to focus my attention on: ie; this little mystery we have brewing in Ashburn.

Redskins_P 11-27-2006 01:43 PM

The more I think about it the more it makes me think its AA.....

SmootSmack 11-27-2006 01:53 PM

I think if it's secondary then yeah it's AA.

Off topic for a second, I'm thinking less and less that Williams is the one who wanted Archuleta. Especially if Williams has been so insistent the past couple of years that it's the system, not the players. And with guys like Vincent and Fox able to step right in, maybe it is just the system. At this rate, we could probably put Brunell in at safety and he'd do better than Arch.

Off topic again, did anyone else see how small Arch looked standing next to Taylor on the sideline yesterday?

TheMalcolmConnection 11-27-2006 01:56 PM

Maybe it was Jerry Gray or Jackson who wanted Archuleta. Maybe that's what caused the rift!

MTK 11-27-2006 01:56 PM

Vincent is a really stand up guy, head of the players association, great guy off the field who does alot for the community, etc. I'd be shocked it was him.