Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Finally a piss free thread (hopefully) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=16032)

ridexile 11-28-2006 04:25 PM

Finally a piss free thread (hopefully)

A couple days ago i started a thread that asked what we could hypothetically get for portis if we were to trade him, but all of you couldnt have fun with it and pissed all over it saying that Portis would never be traded so it was a stupid thread. Well now I'm asking the same question, but about someone that likely will be traded, Shawn Springs. Why is it likely that he'll be traded? well it's kinda obvious that he is the source of Tom friend's article, and this source supposivly wants out next season.

TheMalcolmConnection 11-28-2006 04:27 PM

Re: Finally a piss free thread (hopefully)

Most people are thinking it's because we'll try and get Nate Clements. I don't think he'll be gone so much as we'll keep him in at safety or nickel.

#56fanatic 11-28-2006 04:32 PM

[quote=ridexile;252308]A couple days ago i started a thread that asked what we could hypothetically get for portis if we were to trade him, but all of you couldnt have fun with it and pissed all over it saying that Portis would never be traded so it was a stupid thread. Well now I'm asking the same question, but about someone that likely will be traded, Shawn Springs. Why is it likely that he'll be traded? well it's kinda obvious that he is the source of Tom friend's article, and this source supposivly wants out next season.[/quote]

How and where did you see that Springs was the source. I would like to see that. In no way would I think he was the person to say what was said. He has been nothing but solid since coming here and he is a Gibbs guy. no way he leaves. on the trade question, we would not be able to trade him, he is too old. and now the groin issue has come up again this year. if we got a 6th or 7th rounder I would be surprised.

Hog1 11-28-2006 04:33 PM

let me..........wip dis' out! We need to keep Shawn and bring in a fresh face to AT LEAST be learning the trade, if not talented enough to be starting immediately....in a perfect world

Big C 11-28-2006 04:33 PM

i doubt we can trade a 31 year old cornerback and expect anything in return

wilsowilso 11-28-2006 04:34 PM

[quote=ridexile;252308]A couple days ago i started a thread that asked what we could hypothetically get for portis if we were to trade him, but all of you couldnt have fun with it and pissed all over it saying that Portis would never be traded so it was a stupid thread. Well now I'm asking the same question, but about someone that likely will be traded, Shawn Springs. Why is it likely that he'll be traded? well it's kinda obvious that he is the source of Tom friend's article, and this source supposivly wants out next season.[/quote]

There's only just a little doubt in my mind left that you are none other than Kidwell, but as long as you can show some restraint I won't say anything to anyone I promise.

GhettoDogAllStars 11-28-2006 04:39 PM

Just like everyone else said: Springs is too old, and basically un-tradeable. I can only see Springs being traded for a malcontent, or someone who'd be cut from their team anyways (along the lines of the Jacobs/Rumph trade).

Schneed10 11-28-2006 04:45 PM

We could trade him, we'd have to carry $7.4 million in dead money in 2007, which really isn't any more than the $7.3 million he's already scheduled to count for in 07.

Of course, if we kept him, we'd end up renegotiating his contract and reducing that $7.3 m down by quite a bit. So in reality, trading him comes with an opportunity cost of quite a bit of cap space.

We could handle the cap situation if we wanted him off the team really badly. But saying he's the deep throat from the Tom Friend article is definitely jumping to conclusions and based purely on speculation. His play is steadily improving now that he's back from his groin issues.

I see the need to upgrade at CB, if not for next season, then at least to get some young talent in house to be groomed to one day replace Springs. But I don't think it's a wise move to get rid of him outright. Especially considering we'd be lucky to net anything higher than a 3rd rounder for him.

ridexile 11-28-2006 04:47 PM

[quote=#56fanatic;252313]How and where did you see that Springs was the source. I would like to see that. In no way would I think he was the person to say what was said. He has been nothing but solid since coming here and he is a Gibbs guy. no way he leaves. on the trade question, we would not be able to trade him, he is too old. and now the groin issue has come up again this year. if we got a 6th or 7th rounder I would be surprised.[/quote]

Dexter manley said that the source is a current starter, from what was said in the article the source is almost definately in the secondary and is almost definately not new to the team, so that leaves Rogers, Springs, and Taylor. But the source also said that no other team in the NFL has separate safeties coaches and cornerback coaches, and that suggests that the player has been on another team. Also Manley said that his contract is ending soon, and even springs contract ends in 09, it is the shortest of the 3. Plus springs is known to speak to the media, and younger guys like rogers and taylor generally dont. Vincent is also a possibility, but I dont think so because he has been on the team for such a short amount of time.

12thMan 11-28-2006 04:52 PM

So how does Dexter Manley know so much about who said what on the Redskins?

Springs said it wasn't him, I believe him.
Rogers said it wasn't him, I beleive him too.
Sean Taylor doesn't even talk to the media, at all, so it couldn't be him.

ridexile 11-28-2006 04:53 PM

I was thinking that we could trade him for another old guy who is good who plays whatever position we use our number one draft pick on (if we use it), that way we can phase our rookie in if he is not ready

Gmanc711 11-28-2006 04:54 PM

A contract ending in 09' is not soon. Honestly, I dont know if I belive Manley on the source to be quite truthful. SOmthing about this whole situation is really really fishy.

Gmanc711 11-28-2006 04:56 PM

[QUOTE=12thMan;252328]So how does Dexter Manley know so much about who said what on the Redskins?

Springs said it wasn't him, I believe him.
Rogers said it wasn't him, I beleive him too.
Sean Taylor doesn't even talk to the media, at all, so it couldn't be him.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

The article said an unidentifyed Redskins player. Did it even say current player? Honestly I would think its LaVar or Antonio if anyone. Again, obviously I want to be with my boys on this one and hope no one said it, but I dont understand how Manley knows. Would Friend even tell anyone? Isnt that breaking codes of journalism? I dont know

12thMan 11-28-2006 04:56 PM

It's funny, one of the only people not to actually weigh in on the matter is AA.

Schneed10 11-28-2006 04:58 PM

[quote=ridexile;252326]Dexter manley said that the source is a current starter, from what was said in the article the source is almost definately in the secondary and is almost definately not new to the team, so that leaves Rogers, Springs, and Taylor. But the source also said that no other team in the NFL has separate safeties coaches and cornerback coaches, and that suggests that the player has been on another team. Also Manley said that his contract is ending soon, and even springs contract ends in 09, it is the shortest of the 3. Plus springs is known to speak to the media, and younger guys like rogers and taylor generally dont. Vincent is also a possibility, but I dont think so because he has been on the team for such a short amount of time.[/quote]

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Your post is chock full of nothing but speculation. We have no effing idea who it is. Everybody has a theory, including 'Redskins experts' like Manley, but to trade someone based on a [B]suspicion[/B] that they're dissenting is retarded.

If Gibbs and company actually find out for a fact that it's Springs, and they think his attitude can't work on the team, then by all means I'm in favor of dealing him. But until anybody can tell who is the deep throat, FOR SURE, then it's retarded to take any actions.