Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Eagles Simon (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=1616)

SKINSnCANES 06-25-2004 12:03 AM

Eagles Simon

"Expect some drama with the Eagles and DT Corey Simon come training camp. Simon is upset with his current deal and could hold out, a la Duce Staley from last season. The team has shown no hints of discussing an extension with Simon."

hehe. I love that their drama already started. I hope he does hold out and then dosent get more money. In fact im starting to really like Duce. He proved that by sitting out you can then suck when you return, and I like that about Eagles.

skinsfanthru&thru 06-25-2004 02:21 AM

is there something in the water up there or crappy scouting of personalities(trading for TO answers that one) cuz isn't this like the 4th or 5th straight year they've had a problem concerning pay raises? plus simon is easily they're best d-lineman so I hope this turns around and bites the eagles in the ass big time.

That Guy 06-25-2004 02:42 AM

hey, i'll all for chaos in the east ;) its kinda funny though, if you look at the ravens and list the playyers with criminal charges against them... well, it looks really bad (murder, cocaine, assaults, etc)... one or two instances a year and you've got a bad team rep fast.

but i couldnt be happier to read bad news about anyone else :)

huntz 06-25-2004 04:10 AM

Say what you want about the Eagles, and I hate them too. But they draw the line on the contract crap. :Flush: Funny about the owner. He Laughed when Snyder spent the cash last year to bring in Coles, but wasn't laughing when his wideouts couldn't catch a cold in the NFC title game. Sooooo, he goes and gets TO. Can't wait to see our new safety Taylor clean TO's clock!!! :smashfrea

Daseal 06-25-2004 07:38 AM

Skinsfan: It seems that the media portrays TO as more of a "bad influence" than he may actually be. He's a showman, for sure. I personally loved the Sharpie, Pom-Pom's, etc. I think that celebrations should be allowed. How many of you remember watching football as kids and LOVING the little dances they'd do when they scored. I know I used to!

TO is the first in and the last out most of the time, he picks everyone else's work ethic around him up. He's a team leader (wish we had one) that is going to be a heacache for every team in the NFC East for years, no matter if you like him or not.

Holdouts happen, I can understand a man wanting a contract extension. A little bit of job security in the NFL (if there is such a thing) could make a player feel more comfortable.

sportscurmudgeon 06-25-2004 09:37 AM

The Eagles front office under Andy Reid does not bow to pressure from whining players about contracts. Period. Exclamation point. That's been pretty bad for them, right? Three straight NFC title games.

The Redskins' front office under Danny Boy listens to players complain about playing time and whether or not they want to freelance or not and then interferes with the coaches. (Or they join with a player in a memorabilia deal to mint coins about breaking a sack record.) That's been pretty good for them, right? Three straight years of "home for the holidays" and five big wins last year.

Oh, and when the Eagles have jettisoned whining players, they've gotten picked up by other teams like the Redskins and done real well, right? Can you spell Jeremiah Trotter???

MTK 06-25-2004 10:18 AM

The major difference between the Eagles and the Skins the past few years has been the stability of the coaching staff and the direction and focus it provides. I find it hard to say that the Eagles have been significantly more talented, they have simply had the benefit of having a great staff and system in place for a while now.

Hopefully the 'Skins have evened the score in that department with the return of Gibbs.

SKINSnCANES 06-25-2004 11:41 AM

its going to hurt the Eagles morale now that they went out and signed two big name players. For years they have been not paying their own players well, never giving them the big money they want. And it worked becuase they kept filling in people with no names in a good system. But they didnt stick to their guns this year, they spent a bunch of money on two people and that sends a message to the team that they are willing to spend the money now.

The Skins, with Gibbs back, have a system in place now where it means somethign to be a Redskin. It doesnt mean anytihng to be an eagle and players there dont care and will leave without second guessing it. I hoep their team falls apart this year.

skinsfanthru&thru 06-25-2004 11:54 AM

[QUOTE=Daseal]Skinsfan: It seems that the media portrays TO as more of a "bad influence" than he may actually be. He's a showman, for sure. I personally loved the Sharpie, Pom-Pom's, etc. I think that celebrations should be allowed. How many of you remember watching football as kids and LOVING the little dances they'd do when they scored. I know I used to!

TO is the first in and the last out most of the time, he picks everyone else's work ethic around him up. He's a team leader (wish we had one) that is going to be a heacache for every team in the NFC East for years, no matter if you like him or not.

Holdouts happen, I can understand a man wanting a contract extension. A little bit of job security in the NFL (if there is such a thing) could make a player feel more comfortable.[/QUOTE]

My feelings towards TO have nothing to do with his "showmanship", but his obvious lack of respect for some of his teammates and coaches. He's got this "my shit doesn't stink" kind of aura about him and I for one hope it eats the eagles away from the inside. Have u not seen the footage of his numerous outbursts towards his teammates and coaches with some coming during a freaking game? He may wind up being a headache for the eagles opponents, but I have a feeling that headache will be tenfold for the eagle coaches and players. He's already complained about petty crap during mini camp about whether he can wear the shorts without tights or something stupid like that and made it seem like he wouldn't play if he couldn't get his way. I also heard on the news that he also complained about how many catches he's getting in camp by day one or 2 of their minicamp.

I just don't understand the Eagles being so diehard against rewarding players who consistently contribute at a high level for their team. Does anyone know when Simon will be a free agent cuz he more than any other recent eagle disgruntled employee would to me be an awesome upgrade for our team.

jrocx69 06-25-2004 02:13 PM

look at the nfc east, then tell me who has yet to have a serious problem during the offseason. gmen with crybabies, dallas with bryant/parcells, and philly with holdouts. we really do have a good start on those guys

skinsfanthru&thru 06-25-2004 03:40 PM

I know this isn't the reason for the post but I just saw on espnradio on espn.com that their "experts" have the eagles starting 9-0 until they lose to the skins in week 11. they think we'll be 7-3 which I have no problem with but there is no way in hell that phili will start off with 9 straight wins. how do guys with these predictions get these jobs cuz I can spout out nonsense like this easily.

JWsleep 06-25-2004 06:08 PM

Do not underestimate the NFC East's teams, especially the iggles (or whatever they're to be called!). Until we put up some wins against these guys, we're in no real position to talk. Reid is an excellent coach, and he handles his players well. I do not doubt that they are the team to beat in our division, and that they are stronger than last year. TO is a sideshow, but it's one that Reid can handle. They won't beat themselves; we've got to beat them on the field.

Also, Parcells is a great coach (even though I hate him) and Coughlin will have the jints playing better ball, despite all the bitching. We've got our work cut out for us, with a new staff, new system, lots of new players, etc. 8-8/9-7 and in the wildcard hunt would be a great season.

The NFC east is a beast again, and I'm just glad we got Gibbs to lead us into battle. We're gonna need every ounce of his ability and leadership here. Knowing Gibbs, we'll get that, and more.

sportscurmudgeon 06-25-2004 10:12 PM

SkinsNCanes:

No offense, but in the NFL of 2004 and for the forseeable future, it means nothing "to be a Redskin" - unless the money is right. And if one of these guys is a free agent and can sign for more money elsewhere, he's gone. Case in point: Champ Bailey.

Will Gibbs make a difference? Of course he will. But the team will have to manage its cap in order to pay the players it wants to keep whatever anyone else in the league will pay them. No one is going to give the Skins a $5M "hometown/Joe Gibbs discount" on their contract. And Gibbs knows that!

That Guy 06-26-2004 08:09 AM

some might though... didnt tillman take a 60% pay cut to stay put? something huge (like 20mill to 9mill) and then he took about a 99.99999999% pay cut after that :(, i realize most players aren't like that, but if the team is dedicated, if the team wins, and if the team is well liked and respected, you might be able to match bids and win consistantly or even underbid and still pick up the contracts.

MTK 06-26-2004 11:08 AM

Tillman was a rare bird though, very rare.

Still, I think it's possible to accomplish what Gibbs has in mind. Maybe not to the extent that it was back in the 80's, but I think what he wants to do is bring the Redskins organization back to where it previously was. A place where players want to come and play, and not just entirely for the money like it's been since Snyder took over. Obviously winning has a big part to do with attracting and retaining players. If the Redskins were a playoff team the last four years, I don't think players like Champ Bailey would have been so quick to take off.