Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   F...Hidden Costs, Fees and Magic Numbers (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=16366)

saden1 12-13-2006 08:05 PM

F...Hidden Costs, Fees and Magic Numbers

It's like everyone is trying to rob you legally and some not so legally. They'll rob you of your left kidneys if they could.

BDBohnzie 12-14-2006 11:50 AM

Re: F...Hidden Costs, Fees and Magic Numbers

here, here

damn the man, save the empire

MTK 12-14-2006 12:41 PM

Cell phone companies are horrible with all their hidden fees. A monthly plan that they advertise as $39.99 per month with an added line at $9.99 actually ends up costing about $65 per month once they're done with all the fees and taxes.

jsarno 12-14-2006 12:57 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;260142]Cell phone companies are horrible with all their hidden fees. A monthly plan that they advertise as $39.99 per month with an added line at $9.99 actually ends up costing about $65 per month once they're done with all the fees and taxes.[/QUOTE]

Ever take a look at a home phone line? My cell isn't that bad with extra fees, but my home phone is horrible.
I happen to be paying my home phone bill right now, here are all the fees / taxes...seriously:
From the basic service:
1- Federal tax
2- state tax
3- city sales tax
4- Municipal franchise fee
5- county tax
6- telecommunications relay service
7- 911 fee implimentation
8- 911 fee maintenance
9- FCC USF charge
From the optional service:
10- Telecommunications relay service (again)
11- federal excise tax
12- state tax (again)
13- city sales tax (again)
14- county tax (again)
15- non published number (totally worth the $2.30 a month)
16- residence line
17- call forward fee
18- interstate subscriber line change
19- call block
20- caller id
21- call waiting
22- call return
Those were actually taken directly off my bill.
So even though I have no long distance on this line, what should cost me $25.18, actually costs me $40.13 a month. Horrible!

MTK 12-14-2006 04:27 PM

Yeah land line service stinks too. I used to not have long distance and they charged me $5 extra for NOT having it. Scumbags.

jsarno 12-14-2006 04:36 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;260285]Yeah land line service stinks too. I used to not have long distance and they charged me $5 extra for NOT having it. Scumbags.[/QUOTE]

That's amazing! I have considered getting rid of a land line anyway, I have a cell, and I have wireless internet...why have the land line?

MTK 12-14-2006 04:37 PM

I'd love to dump my land line but the wife wants to keep it.

jsarno 12-14-2006 04:41 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;260294]I'd love to dump my land line but the wife wants to keep it.[/QUOTE]

MINE TOO!
What is the reasoning behind your wife wanting to keep it?

MTK 12-14-2006 04:43 PM

[quote=jsarno;260297]MINE TOO!
What is the reasoning behind your wife wanting to keep it?[/quote]

She hates talking on her cell phone, she says it drops calls too much.

Personally I don't talk enough on the phone to really care and I've never had major issues with dropped calls.

But hey, whatever keeps the little ladies happy, right?! LOL

:)

gibbsisgod 12-14-2006 04:46 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;260301]She hates talking on her cell phone, she says it drops calls too much.

Personally I don't talk enough on the phone to really care and I've never had major issues with dropped calls.

:)[/quote]you guys should switch to Cingular, the network with the fewest dropped calls!:oink:

jsarno 12-14-2006 04:50 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;260301]She hates talking on her cell phone, she says it drops calls too much.

:)[/QUOTE]

Very true...I forgot she talks with her sister for 3-4 HOURS at a time...that would kill my minutes.

Gibbsisgod, we don't have cingular out here. I have sprint. I never have problems with sprint FYI.

gibbsisgod 12-14-2006 04:55 PM

I had sprint once. They messed up my bill by almost 200 dollars once. When I called to complain they basically told me that I had to pay the entire amount and then dispute the bill. I didn't have the extra 200 dollars ( which I didn't owe anyway) so I only paid what my bill should have been. They cancelled my service and then tried to charge me the cancelation fee. I will never go back to sprint no matter what.

jsarno 12-14-2006 05:00 PM

[QUOTE=gibbsisgod;260318]I had sprint once. They messed up my bill by almost 200 dollars once. When I called to complain they basically told me that I had to pay the entire amount and then dispute the bill. I didn't have the extra 200 dollars ( which I didn't owe anyway) so I only paid what my bill should have been. They cancelled my service and then tried to charge me the cancelation fee. I will never go back to sprint no matter what.[/QUOTE]

If I had to go through that, I wouldn't either.
I had a horrible experience with Carnival cruise lines, doubled my bill and said it was my fault...took 6 months to fix. Never again with I travel with them. It's all Royal Caribbean for me.

gibbsisgod 12-14-2006 05:05 PM

[quote=jsarno;260323]If I had to go through that, I wouldn't either.
I had a horrible experience with Carnival cruise lines, doubled my bill and said it was my fault...took 6 months to fix. Never again with I travel with them. It's all Royal Caribbean for me.[/quote]I am planning a cruise for the summer of 07 and Carnival is on my list of possibles. Was the cruise experience good or was the whole darn thing not worth the money?

saden1 12-14-2006 05:43 PM

Seems like women are keeping land lines alive. I just don't get the need for them but then again I'd hate to deal with the [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp0HyxQv97Q&eurl="]mathematicians over at Verizon[/URL].

Oh and my bitch about Retention Representatives was about Vonage. They suck. I mean, they expect that you stop using your internet to talk on the phone. WTF?