Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Nintendo Wii (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=16443)

hooskins 12-18-2006 11:26 PM

Nintendo Wii

I dont know if any of you have guys have played this, but don't blind yourselves with just the 360 and the PS3. I am not a Nintendo person, but this system is sick. Talk about next gen gaming the motion sensored controllers are awesome.

At first I was very skeptical about the system, but it is soo much fun. I would even go to say it is more entertaining for multiple player games that the other systems just because of the controller. Wii Sports is a really fun game, Wii Tennis is an amazing mulitplayer game. I also played Madden and the 2 on 2 multiplayer game in Madden is soo much fun. Like if you want to throw a lob, you do a lob throwing motion, or zip it when you want to zip it. When you wanna catch it, you lift your controller.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 360 makes an controller that is motion sensitive and other games that they can use to keep up with the Wii.

dmek25 12-19-2006 07:52 AM

Re: The Wii

i have nothing but good things about this system. hoo, whats the price?

MTK 12-19-2006 08:31 AM

They must be doing something right, it's kicking ass so far in the next-gen console war. I'm not in a huge hurry to get it, but it does look fun and I've heard a lot of great things about it so far. I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually.

MTK 12-19-2006 08:32 AM

[quote=dmek25;261812]i have nothing but good things about this system. hoo, whats the price?[/quote]

$250

ArtMonkDrillz 12-19-2006 08:43 AM

I feel like the only person who has absolutely no desire to play games on it let alone buy it. I guess I just feel like the motion controller is a fad that I don't really see lasting, but I'm probably wrong.

MTK 12-19-2006 08:53 AM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;261831]I feel like the only person who has absolutely no desire to play games on it let alone buy it. I guess I just feel like the motion controller is a fad that I don't really see lasting, but I'm probably wrong.[/quote]

The PS3 controller also has motion sensors, so yeah I'd say it's probably not going away.

GhettoDogAllStars 12-19-2006 09:29 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;261823]They must be doing something right, it's kicking ass so far in the next-gen console war. I'm not in a huge hurry to get it, but it does look fun and I've heard a lot of great things about it so far. I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually.[/QUOTE]

This is basically how I feel too. I try to stay about 1-2 years behind the bleeding edge of consoles, but I grew up on Nintendo and I just saw an article on the new Zelda ... don't know how long I can wait now. :)

MTK 12-19-2006 09:40 AM

Speaking of the new Zelda has anyone played it yet?

I was thinking of getting it for the gamecube.

hooskins 12-19-2006 10:08 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;261855]Speaking of the new Zelda has anyone played it yet?

I was thinking of getting it for the gamecube.[/quote]
I have seen it played for a bit, it is really cool. The Wii controllers are just really expensive because you need to buy both the regular one and attachment, because they are both used during games, but 250 for the system is not bad.

And AMD I do not see the motion sensored controllers dying down anytime soon, I suggest you play the Wii with a bunch of your friends. It is really funny, I remember the first night I played I was up till 4 playing Wii Tennis. I came in with the same exact attitude about the Wii as you, but now I am in love with it. Give it a try outside of Best Buy.

ArtMonkDrillz 12-19-2006 10:16 AM

That's the thing though, since college I don't play video games with my friends anymore. Personally, I'd rather play a game like Madden against the computer (I have no idea why) or Resident Evil-like games. Maybe that's why I don't think I'd really like the Wii.

BDBohnzie 12-19-2006 11:17 AM

Dude, is it because you live in your parents basement, and only come out to go to work?

ArtMonkDrillz 12-19-2006 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=BDBohnzie;261883]Dude, is it because you live in your parents basement, and only come out to go to work?[/QUOTE]

Probably. Though I do tend to venture out on the weekends, but mainly to drink alcoholic beverages.

mheisig 12-19-2006 01:48 PM

[QUOTE=ArtMonkDrillz;261831]I feel like the only person who has absolutely no desire to play games on it let alone buy it. I guess I just feel like the motion controller is a fad that I don't really see lasting, but I'm probably wrong.[/QUOTE]

Everyone said the same thing about parachute pants back in the 80s, and clearly they were wrong about that.

ArtMonkDrillz 12-19-2006 02:01 PM

[QUOTE=mheisig;261965]Everyone said the same thing about parachute pants back in the 80s, and clearly they were wrong about that.[/QUOTE]

and don't forget about HyperColor T-shirts in the early 90's.

hooskins 12-19-2006 02:12 PM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;261888]Probably. Though I do tend to venture out on the weekends, but mainly to drink alcoholic beverages.[/quote]

Yeah for me Thursday to Saturday nights including severe amounts of alcohol and a night of drunk Wiiage.

GhettoDogAllStars 12-19-2006 04:01 PM

[QUOTE=ArtMonkDrillz;261971]and don't forget about HyperColor T-shirts in the early 90's.[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah! I still have one. The color changing doesn't work anymore though. :(

Redskin 12-19-2006 06:46 PM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;261831]I feel like the only person who has absolutely no desire to play games on it let alone buy it. I guess I just feel like the motion controller is a fad that I don't really see lasting, but I'm probably wrong.[/quote]

Na im with you there some how i would feel like a freeking 2 yaer old waving my controller around in the air like some sped

Plus Wii = no Halo 3 and we cant have that.

drew54 12-19-2006 07:35 PM

600th post, Wii Rant.

For all of the Wii haters that are afraid about looking stupid playing the system, or think it is just for kids, you have to try it. I have converted every one of my friends who made fun of me for buying one.

Zelda is pretty cool. I havent played it as much as my other games, but it is supposed to be the deepest Zelda yet, and I have really enjoyed the conrtols so far.

I also have Red Steel. It is a bit tricky to get used to but the multiplayer is pretty cool, and I actually feel like I have a mouse in my hand and am playing a FPS on a computer.

Mostly I have been playing Wii Sports with various friends. The bowling is the best of the games. The other four (Tennis, Boxing, Baseball, and Golf) are fun as well, but they aren't as much fun for everyone. Anyone can bowl. I was able to teach a four year old how to bowl, and my parents who are in their mid 50's enjoyed it too.

The main reason I bought it was for the ability to download all of the classic games. Granted I know there are emulators and they are free, but its hard to play two player on emulators in front of a computer. Also the systems available for download are NES, SNES, N64, Sega, and TurboGrafx-16. Each Monday they are rolling out the new games available for download.

Overall if your an Xbox360 fan, then you already have your mind made up. And you probably would hate the Wii. But for the multiplayer and fun for everyone I would say the Wii is the system of choice.

BleedBurgundy 12-19-2006 08:39 PM

I'm going to get one for my lady... She hates video games but we tried it in the store and she played it for about half an hour, after which I had to make her stop so the kid behind us could give it a shot. Honestly, I have no interest in playing traditional games on the Wii but if they can come up with new concepts to take advantage of the controller, then why not? I think FPS would be an awesome format for the Wii as long as you can aim the damn thing... I'm surprised to hear that Madden is fun on it as I thought it would be annoying to make the throwing motion. By the way, how is that Red Steel game? I remember reading about it and thinking it would be cool to virtually sword fight...

Redskin 12-19-2006 10:31 PM

Not that i have my mind made up with the 360 its just i dont want to come home from lax practice and do a workout when im trying to relax, i can see the charlie horses now.

hooskins 12-19-2006 10:47 PM

[quote=Redskin;262164]Not that i have my mind made up with the 360 its just i dont want to come home from lax practice and do a workout when im trying to relax, i can see the charlie horses now.[/quote]
Haha it really isnt a workout, I mean if you are a LAX player simple hand motions are not gonna tire you out.

I mean I agree with Drew, most people think its really childish and think their buds will make fun of them.

I felt the same way, it really isn't like that. Just try it out, outside of Best Buy before you make a judgment.

onlydarksets 12-20-2006 07:26 AM

I have the 360, but I don't play it much. The Wii seems like something my wife might actually play as well. We'll have to check it out.

MTK 12-20-2006 08:45 AM

People's views on the consoles are always interesting. There are definitely fanboys of each system, and people tend to be very loyal.

I grew up on Nintendo so I'll probably always stick by them, I've owned just about every system they've put out. Right now I have the DS and the gamecube. I know they focus more on kids and their own first party games (Zeldo, Metroid, Mario, etc), but in the end they put out quality fun games and systems and they're always trying new and different things.

I'm also a playstation guy, but I'm not against getting the 360 instead. I'm going to wait and see how the PS3 develops and for the price to drop.

hooskins 12-20-2006 11:56 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;262217]People's views on the consoles are always interesting. There are definitely fanboys of each system, and people tend to be very loyal.

I grew up on Nintendo so I'll probably always stick by them, I've owned just about every system they've put out. Right now I have the DS and the gamecube. I know they focus more on kids and their own first party games (Zeldo, Metroid, Mario, etc), but in the end they put out quality fun games and systems and they're always trying new and different things.

I'm also a playstation guy, but I'm not against getting the 360 instead. I'm going to wait and see how the PS3 develops and for the price to drop.[/quote]
I have always been a PS guy and was not a fan of XBox until recently. At the same time, Nintendo was not very appealing to me, but as Matty said I really respect how they try new and creative things. The Wii is a huge success in my book.

MTK 12-20-2006 11:58 AM

Good read on the Wii vs. the PS3

[url=http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/entertainment/16280152.htm]Times Leader | 12/20/2006 | PS3 vs. Wii: The Holiday Edition[/url]

Torresa 12-20-2006 01:11 PM

Get a 360 and Wii... they will both be good in each of their own way.

Schneed10 12-20-2006 01:51 PM

So where can one buy a Wii for $250? I keep seeing them advertised online as part of holiday bundle packages for like $500-$600.

Are they expected to drop in price after Christmas?

onlydarksets 12-20-2006 02:42 PM

[quote=Schneed10;262335]So where can one buy a Wii for $250? I keep seeing them advertised online as part of holiday bundle packages for like $500-$600.

Are they expected to drop in price after Christmas?[/quote]

You can't get them online at Best Buy, but you should be able to walk into the store to get one for $250:
[url=http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat92400050007&type=category]Wii Systems[/url]

RobH4413 12-20-2006 02:43 PM

I haven't played it yet, but I admit that zelda game seems pretty awesome.

I was a huge fan of the N64 one.

MTK 12-20-2006 02:43 PM

Good luck walking into a store right now and finding a Wii. Other than the store demo models, I've still yet to see one on the shelves. We probably won't see them until March.

onlydarksets 12-20-2006 02:50 PM

It may be tough coming across one this close to Xmas, but you'll see them on the shelves well before March.

[url=http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/business/16095884.htm]ContraCostaTimes.com | 11/25/2006 | Nintendo refilling Wii supply[/url]

MTK 12-20-2006 02:56 PM

You know, I have to say that the more I read about it, the more I want one! LOL

Nintendo seems to have a nice sleeper hit on their hands. A nice little comeback for them! Who woulda thunk it back when the PS2 and Xbox were kicking the gamecube's butt?!

TheMalcolmConnection 12-20-2006 03:53 PM

I think that people are getting more and more into the no-brainer "party" type games. I think that Mario Party and games similar to that started the trend. Multiplayer gaming has really come to the forefront of what's important about games. If I'm looking at the Wii, I'm like, "Wow. I can get wasted and have a bunch of my friends over playing tennis." Just games that don't require any thinking and just a little movement.

GhettoDogAllStars 12-20-2006 03:55 PM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection;262392]I think that people are getting more and more into the no-brainer "party" type games. I think that Mario Party and games similar to that started the trend. Multiplayer gaming has really come to the forefront of what's important about games. If I'm looking at the Wii, I'm like, "Wow. I can get wasted and have a bunch of my friends over playing tennis." Just games that don't require any thinking and just a little movement.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. I got hooked on Mario Party and Super Monkey Ball for Game Cube. They're just a lot of fun to play ... not super hard or challenging, but a lot of fun. Only the multiplayer though, the single player isn't nearly as much fun.

TheMalcolmConnection 12-20-2006 04:08 PM

I think that's kind of what gaming has come to. Sure people still enjoy the super involved RPGs, but some people just want to put a game in and play it without any type of learning curve.

hooskins 12-20-2006 04:31 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;262409]I think that's kind of what gaming has come to. Sure people still enjoy the super involved RPGs, but some people just want to put a game in and play it without any type of learning curve.[/quote]

I think that is an ignorant statement TMC, because not all games on the Wii are that simple. The only reason Wii Sports is a simple games is because it is more of a intro on how to get use to motion based controller. It gets you use to the system.

Like I said I have played Madden and seen Zelda played, they are not easy games.

Just try it out TMC, and other games beside Wii Sports. Believe me, Nintendo is getting such a hard rap, but the Wii really is a good system. This is coming from a solid PS guy.

mheisig 12-20-2006 04:53 PM

[QUOTE=hooskins;262427]I think that is an ignorant statement TMC, because not all games on the Wii are that simple. The only reason Wii Sports is a simple games is because it is more of a intro on how to get use to motion based controller. It gets you use to the system.

Like I said I have played Madden and seen Zelda played, they are not easy games.

Just try it out TMC, and other games beside Wii Sports. Believe me, Nintendo is getting such a hard rap, but the Wii really is a good system. This is coming from a solid PS guy.[/QUOTE]

Listen, I think you misunderstood TMC.

What he was trying to say was that the Wii is a console designed for simpletons, and anyone with an IQ higher than a pet rock would not have much fun.

drew54 12-20-2006 05:17 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;262354]Good luck walking into a store right now and finding a Wii. Other than the store demo models, I've still yet to see one on the shelves. We probably won't see them until March.[/QUOTE]

The deal is that all before Christmas stores were hoarding the systems to realease on Sunday due to it being in the Ad. If you go to Target or Best Buy or wherever about two hours before they open and wait for the line to form you should be able to get in the top 10 of the line and get on. I did this and I dont regret standing in line one an 8 degree day.

drew54 12-20-2006 05:19 PM

PS fellow Wii owners. If you have one and are online send me a PM with your Wii number so we can trade Mii's.

MTK 12-20-2006 06:10 PM

[quote=hooskins;262427]I think that is an ignorant statement TMC, because not all games on the Wii are that simple. The only reason Wii Sports is a simple games is because it is more of a intro on how to get use to motion based controller. It gets you use to the system.

Just try it out TMC, and other games beside Wii Sports. Believe me, Nintendo is getting such a hard rap, but the Wii really is a good system. This is coming from a solid PS guy.[/quote]

TMC does have a point though. Nintendo is going after a different demographic. They're not concerned about the hardcore gamers, those people will go for the PS3 or 360. Nintendo is trying to branch out to those who don't play typically play video games and from the sounds of it they are succeeding.