Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Broken Records (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=1651)

backrow 06-30-2004 01:45 PM

Broken Records

Great thread retrieved from HailRedskins.com. Maybe we should try our hand!

single season individual records...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the single season individual records I have, probably dating back to 2001/2002 :
WASHINGTON REDSKINS

Category / Name, Year / Record

Rushing Yards / Stephen Davis, 1999 / 1,405
Passing Yards / Jay Schroeder, 1986 / 4,109
Passing TDs / Sonny Jurgensen, 1967 / 31
Receptions / Art Monk, 1984 / 106
Receiving Yards / Bobby Mitchell, 1963 / 1,436
Interceptions / Dan Sandifer, 1948 / 13
Punting Avg. / Sammy Baugh, 1940 / 51.4
Field Goals / Mark Moseley, 1983 / 33
Touchdowns / John Riggins, 1983 / 24
Points / Mark Moseley, 1983 /161

2 questions :

1- are they still true, and if not which are to be updated ?
2- which could be broken by the end of next season ?

memphisskin 06-30-2004 02:16 PM

Passing TDs are in trouble, we've just got a lot of weapons.
Rushing yds since that's still below Portis' average.
And I'll say interceptions because I think Sean Taylor is going to be HUGE for us this year.

BrudLee 06-30-2004 02:32 PM

[QUOTE=memphisskin]Passing TDs are in trouble, we've just got a lot of weapons.
Rushing yds since that's still below Portis' average.
And I'll say interceptions because I think Sean Taylor is going to be HUGE for us this year.[/QUOTE]
Rushing yards is in trouble, but I doubt any others will fall. Passing TD's [i]in total[/i] might exceed 31, but if Brunell starts, he might not last the season. I'd expect both QB's to see some action this year. You may be crazy about the INT's. Taylor is great, but 13 picks is a crazy number.

joecrisp 06-30-2004 03:04 PM

I'd certainly think Portis has a shot at the rushing yards mark -- he just might obliviate it. In this offense, he could easily finish in the 1,600-1,800 yard range, with a shot at 2,000.

I'd say Portis also has a shot at the rushing TDs mark, but I have a feeling we'll see a lot of the old Heavy Jumbo formation near the goalline, with Betts possibly coming in as the "jumbo" back. I think in order to hit 24 TDs, Portis would need to be the goalline back as well. With Gibbs' penchant for resting his primary backs, and using situational packages, I'd say Betts will probably get a lot of "vulture" opportunities.

If Coles stays healthy, he might be able to surpass Monk's receptions mark, as well as Mitchell's receiving yards mark. Knowing Coles' determination to play through pain, he may get the receptions mark anyway, but if that foot flares up, his yardage may be diminished. A healthy Coles is capable of putting up monster numbers in this offense. If the foot stays healthy, he'll be in the 100+ catch, 1500 yards, 10-15 TD range.

I agree with Brud on the quarterback records. If Ramsey opens as the starter, I'd say he could threaten the TD mark for sure, and approach the yardage mark. But if Brunell opens as the starter, there'll likely be a flip-flop at some point due to injury. Or course, with a drastic improvement in protection up front, either one of these QBs could stay healthy for the full run.

It sure is exciting to be able to speculate on stuff like this and have some confidence that these projections could actually become reality.:biggthump

backrow 06-30-2004 03:09 PM

So, Joe C!

Does that grant me any Reputation Points for pulling this thread over?

joecrisp 06-30-2004 03:13 PM

[QUOTE=backrow]Does that grant me any Reputation Points for pulling this thread over?[/QUOTE]
Absolutely! I just added my :twocents: to your reputation rating. Thanks for your valuable contributions, backrow!

MTK 06-30-2004 06:50 PM

Brunell has never thrown for more than 20 TD's in one season believe it or not.

I say he'll probably be around the 20-24 mark if he plays the entire season.

I say the only record in serious jeopardy is the rushing mark.

SKINSnCANES 06-30-2004 08:07 PM

Id say the rushing mark, and the receptions mark. The ball will be passed around a lot but I still think Coles could easily break 100 receptions.

Redskins8588 06-30-2004 08:26 PM

If Coles does break the receptions mark it would not surprise me to see him also break the recieving yards record.

Sammy Baugh Fan 06-30-2004 08:57 PM

Sammy's record WILL NEVER BE BROKEN.

In fact look at Redskins that hold NFL RECORDS.

Sammy will NEVER be broken.

peace
mike

Sammy Baugh Fan 06-30-2004 09:06 PM

Sammy's record WILL NEVER BE BROKEN.

In fact look at Redskins that hold NFL RECORDS.

Sammy will NEVER be broken.

peace
mike

skinsfanthru&thru 06-30-2004 09:59 PM

I can't believe the record for tds thrown is only 31, I for thought B. Johnson had thrown more than that when he had that 4,000+ yard season with us. I think portis has a really good chance to break davis's rushing record and coles has a solid chance to break monk's receptions record. Plus I also think as a team, they have a chance to reclaim the full season scoring record.

MTK 06-30-2004 10:10 PM

BJ tossed 24 TD's in '99

skinsfanthru&thru 06-30-2004 10:24 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]BJ tossed 24 TD's in '99[/QUOTE]

thats all? wow, for some reason I thought he'd thrown quite a few more than that.

ChillWill 07-01-2004 06:35 PM

Sonnys and Bobby Mitchell's stats are incredible when you account that these were 12 game seasons.