Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Who's back? Who's not? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=16557)

Smurf85 12-27-2006 06:02 PM

Who's back? Who's not?

You guys should check this out it pretty much breaks down our team.Its a good read and a good article.

[URL="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-redskinsrundown&prov=ap&type=lgns"]Who's back? Who's not? Redskins have lots of offseason questions - NFL - Yahoo! Sports[/URL]

skinsguy 12-27-2006 06:27 PM

Re: Who's back? Who's not?

I think it does pretty much sum us up pretty well. I will say about Jason Campbell, I think he has played pretty good overall and at the point, he has looked more like the answer than anybody else we have had a QB --- that is coming from a hardcore Brunell supporter like myself.

I don't believe Ade Jimoh is someone you want to cut loose, but I think he is a career special teams guy! He's golden on Special teams, but sucks big time at corner. Maybe he might develop into a decent safety, but if Shawn Springs is healthy next season, then we either keep him at CB, or move HIM to safety. I don't believe Carlos Rogers is someone we need to get rid of, I still have some faith in him, but he's never going to be our #1 guy! I think we need to look at the draft for a CB.

We should DEFINITELY start Rocky next season at weakside LB, and add some depth to our defensive line.

riggoraider 12-27-2006 06:56 PM

Very nice article and to the point, I especially hope that people read the comment about the receiver position. I have been stressing the same point and have been getting blasted and basically got thrown off of extremeskins for making the same comments. For some reason people think that we are loaded at that position when actually it is one of our weakest.

The comments about Campbell was also on point although he may improve over the off-season he is definitely in need of some work.The Portis/Betts combination is going to win us some games but a passing game to go along with the running game will get us to the playoffs even if the defense is not totally fixed over the off-season because sustained drives willl keep them off the field.

Smurf85 12-28-2006 12:19 AM

Yeah i pretty much agree with the whole article.It just sucks knowing we still have so many holes.They should have been fixed last year.To bad our front office f**ked everything up again.I hope they do it right this time.

mooby 12-28-2006 12:36 AM

I pray that we won't go out and spend shitloads of money in free agency again. I would like to see Nate Clements here, but not for a huge contract that gives him more than he's worth. I don't even know what we are gonna do with our defense, it has a lot of holes that we can't fix in one year.

Pocket$ $traight 12-28-2006 12:42 AM

[quote=mooby;264124]I pray that we won't go out and spend shitloads of money in free agency again. I would like to see Nate Clements here, but not for a huge contract that gives him more than he's worth. I don't even know what we are gonna do with our defense, it has a lot of holes that we can't fix in one year.[/quote]

They fixed it in one year after 2003.

mooby 12-28-2006 12:50 AM

[quote=Grim21Reaper;264126]They fixed it in one year after 2003.[/quote]

And how did that work out for us? Is our defense amongst the elite this year? Hell, is our defense even amongst the good this year?

dmek25 12-28-2006 07:02 AM

[quote=Grim21Reaper;264126]They fixed it in one year after 2003.[/quote]
as much as it pains me, i agree. i think with some tinkering, this defense can be very good again. i think marshall is the key. can he go back to 2005 form, or was he just playing over his head? and bringing clements here is the move i would make in free agency

djnemo65 12-28-2006 07:22 AM

Clements, Rogers, Springs, and Taylor starts to look like a little more respectable secondary. Springs is very outspoken and a natural leader, so he should be comfortable captaining the secondary from the SS spot in a manner similar to Clark when he was here. LB's should be better, although we might look to upgrade Marshall. The D-Line could use another player, and we'll probably get one through the draft. The problem remains depth, however, which we'll never have without draft picks. Every year we put together a starting 11 that looks good on paper, but never have an answer when someone goes down. It was Springs abdominal injury that, in my opinion, started the defense's unraveling this year.

BDBohnzie 12-28-2006 08:11 AM

It's a shame the 2 guys that were supposed to serve as #2s to compliment Moss (Patten, Lloyd) just aren't panning out.

If Springs moves to safety and Clements comes aboard, the Skins need to fill the holes on the line and at middle linebacker.

Seems to me that once again, the Skins are only a few pieces away from a complete puzzle. The defensive line hasn't been stellar, but has had a few guys step up. The offensive line has played quite well, and would like to see some depth added there as well.

freddyg12 12-28-2006 08:38 AM

[quote=riggoraider;264054]Very nice article and to the point, I especially hope that people read the comment about the receiver position. I have been stressing the same point and have been getting blasted and basically got thrown off of extremeskins for making the same comments. For some reason people think that we are loaded at that position when actually it is one of our weakest.

The comments about Campbell was also on point although he may improve over the off-season he is definitely in need of some work.The Portis/Betts combination is going to win us some games but a passing game to go along with the running game will get us to the playoffs even if the defense is not totally fixed over the off-season because sustained drives willl keep them off the field.[/quote]

I agree w/the article's assessment of Loyd, but ARE has played well. JC has missed him on a no. of occassions.
Whether they're playing well or not, the fact is we have too much $ & cap space tied up in wr's. Someone on here even said that we would take a sizable cap hit if we cut Patten. Patten could still contribute & James Thrash has outplayed Loyd when given the chance. Bottom line, I don't see any way that we sign another wr. Maybe Mike Espy can crack the roster though.

dmek25 12-28-2006 08:50 AM

wide receiver is the least of the worries on this team

GoSkins! 12-28-2006 08:54 AM

[quote=djnemo65;264146]Clements, Rogers, Springs, and Taylor starts to look like a little more respectable secondary...[/quote]

Couple that with Prioleou, Vincent, and Wright as the primary backups and I think we should have a good, interchangable secondary.

We need to upgrade MLB. I loved the way Lamar played at the end of last year, but he has dropped off. We need a vocal leader at MLB who plays smart, tackles well, and covers short crossing patterns.

Griffith has said he is playing at a weaker size because of injury problems in camp and it has hurt him. We also need to get a big, fearsome DT that can hold his ground on double teams so that Griffith can be more of an impact. If that happens, our DE's should magically get better because of blocking breakdowns.

In short, we need to re-sign Dockery, pick up Clements, upgrade MLB (through free agency), and draft a big DT with our first rounder.

gabe1984 12-28-2006 09:17 AM

[quote=GoSkins!;264172]Couple that with Prioleou, Vincent, and Wright as the primary backups and I think we should have a good, interchangable secondary.

We need to upgrade MLB. I loved the way Lamar played at the end of last year, but he has dropped off. We need a vocal leader at MLB who plays smart, tackles well, and covers short crossing patterns.

Griffith has said he is playing at a weaker size because of injury problems in camp and it has hurt him. We also need to get a big, fearsome DT that can hold his ground on double teams so that Griffith can be more of an impact. If that happens, our DE's should magically get better because of blocking breakdowns.

In short, we need to re-sign Dockery, pick up Clements, upgrade MLB (through free agency), and draft a big DT with our first rounder.[/quote]
I agree with you for the most part, but I think we should try to get another middle line backer through the draft and not free agency. As you said before, Marshall had injury problems this season. I think he should get another chance to prove himself when he's healthy before we go spending money on another line backer, I think we owe it to him after the way he played for us last year.

riggoraider 12-28-2006 10:45 AM

[quote=freddyg12;264164]I agree w/the article's assessment of Loyd, but ARE has played well. JC has missed him on a no. of occassions.
Whether they're playing well or not, the fact is we have too much $ & cap space tied up in wr's. Someone on here even said that we would take a sizable cap hit if we cut Patten. Patten could still contribute & James Thrash has outplayed Loyd when given the chance. Bottom line, I don't see any way that we sign another wr. Maybe Mike Espy can crack the roster though.[/quote]

ARE has not played up to the level of a #2 receiver. The Steelers did not even have him as there #2. I think that we brought him in to be a 3 and a punt returner but with Lloyd playing the way that he has played we had to promote him to 2.

The way that the NFL wheels and deals I am sure that there is a way to get another WR and get rid of a couple.The article stated that there will probably be a change there and Mike Espy certainly is not the answer. Sometimes you just have to eat some losses and this is probably one of those times. The front office made a HUGE mistake in their thinking last year and ESPN was talking about from day one of that deal. ARE is not a pure receiver and neither him nor Lloyd never put up the numbers to warrant those contracts.