Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Should all 4 draft picks be used for Defense? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=16638)

MTK 01-04-2007 04:23 PM

Re: Should all 4 draft picks be used for Defense?

I don't think they'll go into the draft focused only on one side of the ball, though it's likely they will lean that way. You still have to evaluate the draft pick by pick and in some instances you have to go with the dreaded 'best player available'.

I think our top pick will be a defender, but beyond that who knows.

redsk1 01-04-2007 04:54 PM

FWIW...

Football.com's top rated ilb's

1. Patrick Willis, Sr, Mississippi
2. David Harris, Sr, Michigan
3. Brandon Siler, Jr, Florida
4. Buster Davis, Sr, Florida State
5. HB Blades, Sr, Pittsburgh
6. Jasper Brinkley, Jr, South Carolina
7. Desmond Bishop, Sr, California
8. Justin Durant, Sr, Hampton
9. Anthony Waters, Sr, Clemson
10. Nate Harris, Sr, Louisville
11. Justin Warren, Sr, Texas A&M
12. Cameron Jensen, Sr, Brigham Young
13. Kelvin Smith, Sr, Syracuse
14. Quinton Culberson, Sr, Mississippi State
15. Oscar Lua, Sr, USC
16. Thaddeaus Washington, Sr, Colorado
17. Mark Zalewski, Sr, Wisconsin
18. George Hall, Sr, Purdue
19. Keyvonis Bouie, Sr, Florida International
20. Zak DeOssie, Sr, Brown

Desmond Bishop. Did anybody watch him play in Cal's bowl game. You couldn't miss him. All over the field. I believe All-Pac 10 honors, led Pac 10 in tackles, etc. Maybe a great 2nd rounder if we traded down to have a lower 1st and 2nd rounder. Thoughts...

RobH4413 01-04-2007 05:05 PM

It's looking more and more like Nate Clements is going to land here. I'm just hoping we don't break the bank on him.

We need some serious help at CB, and drafting a DE may actually help solve alot of problems for our defensive backfied (more pressure, less time, better db results).

Crat92 01-04-2007 07:46 PM

As much as I would love to see Calvin Johnson dawn the burgandy and gold next season, defense is our achilles heel. If we could draft Gaines Adams, and somehow draft Patrick Willis, those moves would definitely be a step in the right direction.

Oakland Red 01-05-2007 02:54 AM

I would draft the most talented player available, with only secondary consideration to need. Otherwise you end up like the Texans drafting Mario Williams when you could have had Reggie Bush. The Saints already had McAllister but they were smart enough to draft Bush anyway. If the most talented player available is not at a position you have any interest in getting help at, you can trade the pick at the best moment to someone willing to give the best deal.

With everything else being equal, we do need offensive line depth, defensive line help, and linebacker help. Corner I would address by signing the Buffalo free agent if we can, and safety I would really address by trying to get Ryan Clark back, to give us a fine player who fits in very well and is a real asset for Sean Taylor.

Beemnseven 01-05-2007 05:12 PM

[QUOTE=Oakland Red;267315][B]I would draft the most talented player available, with only secondary consideration to need[/B]. Otherwise you end up like the Texans drafting Mario Williams when you could have had Reggie Bush. The Saints already had McAllister but they were smart enough to draft Bush anyway. If the most talented player available is not at a position you have any interest in getting help at, you can trade the pick at the best moment to someone willing to give the best deal.[/QUOTE]

That rule is true for the most part, but still -- the Chargers wouldn't have drafted a running back when LT is on their roster, and I don't think they'd draft a quarterback either. There are still positions you stay away from. McAllister was banged up last year, and while still young, he's got some mileage on him. So Bush was a logical choice for the Saints anyway.

jdlea 01-05-2007 05:18 PM

[QUOTE=Beemnseven;267617]That rule is true for the most part, but still -- the Chargers wouldn't have drafted a running back when LT is on their roster, and I don't think they'd draft a quarterback either. There are still positions you stay away from. McAllister was banged up last year, and while still young, he's got some mileage on him. So Bush was a logical choice for the Saints anyway.[/QUOTE]

That and you could put Bush in the slot or line him up next to Deuce. Reggie affords you a lot more options than just another running back.

GTripp0012 01-20-2007 01:24 AM

I would use the 1st and the 5th on the defensive line. After that, we need a blocking TE and OL depth. So no, I wouldn't necessarily use all the picks on D. Of course with those late rounders, if a great talent slips, you have to pull the trigger.

GTripp0012 01-20-2007 01:27 AM

I think though every team should think defense first in the draft. Defense is only sustainable by consistently injecting youth into your defensive system year after year. Resigning the same guys in a successful D will eventually lead to failure (usually after about 3 years) and a rough cap situation. Successful offenses can be pieced together through free agency and sustained.

It just makes drafting a reciever high all the more ridicious. If your a team looking at drafting Robert Meachem, for example, what the heck is wrong with Drew Bennett?

That Guy 01-20-2007 01:43 AM

once you get into the 5th round, you kind of have to see who's left. the #1, whether picking straight up or trading for two picks (late 1st and a second), should both be DL. either DE or DT + DE. for the late picks, you're either looking at good special teamers, or a lot of guys that are backup material at best... though sometimes you get lucky.

we can resign wade and pucillo for OL depth. It'd be very hard for a 5th/6th/7th rounder to play better than they would. Wade was our best signing last year, cause we got a decent starter for vet min depth (the texans would have kept him if his price tag wasn't $4mill/year). If we wanted serious OL depth, last yeah was the time to get it, with starting OGs going into the 4th round (but we threw away our 3rd rounder in a trade up to pick a LB that couldn't get on the field for a 5-11 team with a terrible LB corp, for some reason).