Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   starting dline (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/1675-starting-dline.html)

Skinzfan_26 07-03-2004 06:24 PM

starting dline

Who do u think come september will be lining up on the defensive line?

Big C 07-03-2004 06:43 PM

I think it will be Wynn, and Daniels at DE, and Griffen and Haley at DT

Ideally, Noble would replace wynn, but i think theyll bring him back slowly

I think that we should also consider putting Daniels at DT, where he has placed some in the past, and putting Upshaw in his place. That would make our line solid, because i think that Haley is the weak link there.

Skinzfan_26 07-03-2004 06:58 PM

[QUOTE=Big C]I think it will be Wynn, and Daniels at DE, and Griffen and Haley at DT

Ideally, Noble would replace wynn, but i think theyll bring him back slowly

I think that we should also consider putting Daniels at DT, where he has placed some in the past, and putting Upshaw in his place. That would make our line solid, because i think that Haley is the weak link there.[/QUOTE]

I thought noble was a defensive tackle?

Big C 07-03-2004 07:13 PM

I meant noble would replace Haley, my fault

skinsfanthru&thru 07-03-2004 10:18 PM

I think it will be wynn, unless cut and replaced soon *keeping fingers crossed* and daniels on the ends with griffin and a platoon of Haley, Noble, and that salvea guy or maybe even the udfa dt from ucla.

Big C 07-04-2004 01:28 AM

I am optomistic about the production of our line. I think Daniels will produce 5-8 sacks this season, and Griffen will get around 5 also. With a better system, they will improve.

jbcjr14 07-04-2004 08:11 AM

Daniels and Upshaw on the ends. Griffin and Wynn in the middle. This of course is if we don't acquire a big Nigerian from Miami in the next couple of weeks!!!

skins009 07-04-2004 10:28 PM

I think there will be a lot of 3 d-linemen sets with lavar and marcus rushing from the outside.

joecrisp 07-05-2004 08:58 AM

[QUOTE=skins009]I think there will be a lot of 3 d-linemen sets with lavar and marcus rushing from the outside.[/QUOTE]
I agree. Especially with Wynn and Daniels being hybrid DE/DTs (similar to what you see in the 3-4 sets), I think that could work. I think we'll see a lot of 3-3-5 sets, with Wynn, Griffin and Daniels up front; and a nickelback coming in to allow Taylor/Bowen to be used as blitzers-- basically a 3-4 or 46 look, with Taylor being the extra man in the box. Of course, in dime packages, it might essentially be a 2-3-6 look, since Arrington and Washington often figure to be used as rush ends.

sportscurmudgeon 07-09-2004 11:16 PM

joecrisp:

The ability of the defense to use 3-3-5 and 2-3-6 sets will depend on the ability of the standard defensive front to stop the run. If the four mooses that they put in there on first down can't stop the run, then all the fancy stuff will have to be relegated to those plays after the opponent gets called for offensive holding on first down and it is 1st and 20.

No one on this board - and I mean NO ONE - is rooting for Brandon Noble to be able to play solidly this year more than I am. That would be a HUGE help for the DL because he will play hard and he will play smart on every down and when he hits a QB or a ball carrier, he will make the tackle or hold on until help arrives. He will not do any arm tackling!

I am not sanguine about Haley; he was unimpressive for all of his career until last year - - when he just plain stunk out the joint.

Daniels can play DT but he is really a defensive end. Watch the Bears' games from last year and you'll see that he is at his best when he does not need to take on a blocker head on. His value to the Skins is applying pass pressure from the DE position.

Griffen needs someone to jam a hot poker up his butt to keep him hustling on every play. If Greg Williams can do that - or if Noble is there to play next to Griffen and lead by example - then that will be a big improvement.

Wynn, Upshaw and the like are space fillers. You can find players of that ability on the waiver wire as training camps are closed down. They don't hurt you; they can't help you very much.

joecrisp 07-10-2004 07:55 AM

[QUOTE=sportscurmudgeon]joecrisp:

The ability of the defense to use 3-3-5 and 2-3-6 sets will depend on the ability of the standard defensive front to stop the run. If the four mooses that they put in there on first down can't stop the run, then all the fancy stuff will have to be relegated to those plays after the opponent gets called for offensive holding on first down and it is 1st and 20.[/QUOTE]
Quite right.

SKINSnCANES 07-10-2004 11:04 AM

Something that you guys havent mentioned, that I have been hearing from my friends that are Giants fans, is that Barrow is a huge run stopper. Everyone I know that watches Giants games regularly says that he immediatly closes when the ball is handed off and helps stuff the run. Hes getting old but hes still one of the fastest guys on our defense and willhelp out a lot I feel.

Big C 07-10-2004 12:29 PM

He was on pace to set the record for tackles last season half way through

Mattyk 07-10-2004 12:54 PM

Barrow will definitely be a nice upgrade over Trotter. He's a little long in the tooth but the guy is a workout warrior and is a student of the game. He'll play smart and within the system, something that Trotter never really did. Hopefully some of his smarts will rub off on Arrington, who still freelances way too much.

Big C 07-10-2004 02:33 PM

he will also allow arrington to get away with more risks, since he is a very good saftey valve. Great tackler, always in position.