Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Woman dies in Wii contest (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=16806)

ArtMonkDrillz 01-17-2007 05:58 PM

Re: Woman dies in Wii contest

Wasn't the main problem the fact that she didn't piss any of it out and therefore all the toxins built up in her body?

(I'm too lazy to actually read the article)

BleedBurgundy 01-17-2007 06:58 PM

In boot camp they used to punish us by making us workout and then hydrate until we threw up... I don't think that counts as hydration poisoning but it sure as hell sucked.

SmootSmack 01-18-2007 02:44 AM

Well this is interesting and [URL="http://www.sacbee.com/static/newsroom/kdndslides/"]disturbing[/URL]

ArtMonkDrillz 01-18-2007 07:24 AM

[QUOTE=BleedBurgundy;270736]In boot camp they used to punish us by making us workout and then hydrate until we threw up... I don't think that counts as hydration poisoning but it sure as hell sucked.[/QUOTE]
The difference was probably that you all were sweating all of the water out of your body and so you needed to take in more. Plus, when you sweat you get rid of all the toxins or whatever it was that caused this woman to die.

I remember hearing that there was a police trainee about a year or so ago that died from water intoxication during his training. So I guess it happens.

Hog1 01-18-2007 08:49 AM

Is the ANY stupidity, that Americans won't participate in?

BDBohnzie 01-18-2007 08:55 AM

What i dont understand is...you save about 20 bucks a paycheck for 13 paychecks (about 6 months) and you have the money to buy the Wii. It's not like they were giving away a car, boat, house, trip around the world...it was a frickin' video game system. People can be pretty ignorant sometimes.

firstdown 01-18-2007 10:13 AM

[quote=BDBohnzie;270821]What i dont understand is...you save about 20 bucks a paycheck for 13 paychecks (about 6 months) and you have the money to buy the Wii. It's not like they were giving away a car, boat, house, trip around the world...it was a frickin' video game system. People can be pretty ignorant sometimes.[/quote]
It was a water drinking contest which is not really doing that much to win an expensive game but had deadly results. How many of us here would have entered a contest like this if it was our local station giving away tickets to a Skins Playoff game?

firstdown 01-18-2007 10:19 AM

[quote=724Skinsfan;270667]Maybe it's geographic-centric but high school athletes around here are taught about the dangers of water intoxication (or poisoning). Football players, wrestlers and long-distance runners in particular are warned about drinking too much water. I always thought it was fairly common knowledge but I guess that's based on having several coaches throughout my childhood telling me so.[/quote]
I'm not sure of your age but maybe its just something that coaches are now aware of and teach their kids. I'm 42 and if we went back 20 some years I be surprised if any coaches knew of the dangers of drinking too much water. Back then at half time we got a snack of cupcakes and soda at halftime and I'm sure thats not what they give the kids today. If they did they it would have to be fair and they would have to give the other team a snack so they would not get offended.

ArtMonkDrillz 01-18-2007 10:25 AM

I really doubt too many people either knew about water poisoning or would have thought about it when it came to this contest being ran. However, they were playing clips from the radio show on the news yesterday and there were a couple of people who called in saying how dangerous the contest could be. Ironically, one of the DJs joked that the contestants signed waivers and therefore the radio station couldn't be held responsible. Looks like they were wrong.

SmootSmack 01-18-2007 10:28 AM

[QUOTE=ArtMonkDrillz;270841]I really doubt too many people either knew about water poisoning or would have thought about it when it came to this contest being ran. However, they were playing clips from the radio show on the news yesterday and there were a couple of people who called in saying how dangerous the contest could be. Ironically, one of the DJs joked that the contestants signed waivers and therefore the radio station couldn't be held responsible. Looks like they were wrong.[/QUOTE]

You can hear it here: [url]http://www.thewarpath.net/270807-post18.html[/url]

EternalEnigma21 01-18-2007 10:31 AM

Yeah, that is pretty f'ed up. Those clips are gonna haunt those guys for years.

ArtMonkDrillz 01-18-2007 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=TAFKAS;270843]You can hear it here: [url]http://www.thewarpath.net/270807-post18.html[/url][/QUOTE]Damn, I need to stop stepping on your toes before you ban me from the site. Once again, my bad.

724Skinsfan 01-18-2007 10:33 AM

[quote=firstdown;270838]I'm not sure of your age but maybe its just something that coaches are now aware of and teach their kids. I'm 42 and if we went back 20 some years I be surprised if any coaches knew of the dangers of drinking too much water. Back then at half time we got a snack of cupcakes and soda at halftime and I'm sure thats not what they give the kids today. If they did they it would have to be fair and they would have to give the other team a snack so they would not get offended.[/quote]

I'm 100 years old...(minus 68). 20 years ago I ran JV cross-country and wrestled as an 8th grader. Both coaches (Coach Nicely and Coach Burns) used to tell us about drinking too much water. Like I said, it may be related to the specific area as to what people know or don't know. All it takes is for an informed Athletic Director to issue a memo to all school coaches to advise student athletes of the dangers of water poisoning. I would have to assume our AD did such a thing.

EternalEnigma21 01-18-2007 10:43 AM

[quote=724Skinsfan;270846]I'm 100 years old...(minus 68). 20 years ago I ran JV cross-country and wrestled as an 8th grader. Both coaches (Coach Nicely and Coach Burns) used to tell us about drinking too much water. Like I said, it may be related to the specific area as to what people know or don't know. All it takes is for an informed Athletic Director to issue a memo to all school coaches to advise student athletes of the dangers of water poisoning. I would have to assume our AD did such a thing.[/quote]

Its kinda like smoking around gas pumps. You know its probably dangerous to [I]some[/I] people, but not me...

EternalEnigma21 01-18-2007 10:51 AM

The article said the Sheriff's office was not investigating because she signed a waiver...

I understand that Criminally, theyre off the hook... but you can't tell me they're not going to lose a civil suit.

If I make someone sign a waiver and then make someone play Russian Roulette with blanks for tickets or something, but the blanks still kill them... (which I believe has happened before)

Wouldn't I still be responsible if I'm verbally guaranteeing their safety? The guy keeps saying your body with throw it up before anything dangerous happens.... and its on tape... but he's also saying, "yeah I know you can die from it, but they signed a waiver"

He sounds like a jackass, now, and he was just trying to be funny, but it may save a suit?

Any Case?