Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/)
-   -   Muslim Cabbies Impose Booze Ban (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/16873-muslim-cabbies-impose-booze-ban.html)

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 01-25-2007 11:37 PM

Muslim Cabbies Impose Booze Ban

CNN just aired a story about Muslim cab drivers in Minnesota refusing to take fares from people carrying alcohol. I simply don't see the story here, but it has caused quite a controversy in Minnesota. Last I checked: (1) cab drivers were not providing a public service, they were members of the private sector providing a service to the public; (2) people possessing alcohol were not some constitutionally protected minority. Does anyone else see the problem with a private business refusing to accept business from people carrying alcohol? I don't.

djnemo65 01-25-2007 11:57 PM

Re: Muslim Cabbies Impose Booze Ban

I just feel for the cab driver who is going to try to explain to a group of drunk college students that they aren't allowed in the cab. One of my college buddies once fought a cab driver because he wanted to drop him off a block away from his house (he lost the fight btw).

hooskins 01-26-2007 12:00 AM

Yeah I definitely feel for a cab driver in general because their life isn't easy. But this guy clearly did it for his personal beliefs, and it is not like the cab company has anything in contract that the driver sings, which indicates he can refuse service based on his religious beliefs.

However they may be some thing in the contract which allows cabbies to deny anyone for any reason.

saden1 01-26-2007 01:59 AM

Islam does not in any way or shape condone the conduct of these cab drivers who refuse to take on drunk, gay, or people with dogs. This is more of ignorance and cultural issue.

As for cab drivers, they are licensed to operate a business that serves the public. A public restaurant can't refuse to serve black people because they are black and neither can a cab driver. It's not a membership based business therefore it must be open to all. If you can't do what the job demands, go into some other god damn field.

In any case, I found [URL="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1118413921"]this shit hilarious[/URL] and sad.

Hog1 01-26-2007 06:13 AM

I think I'll start a business and refuse to serve Muslims because they are carrying ....................muslim food. I wonder how far I'll get?

dmek25 01-26-2007 07:16 AM

i say, if its their business, they can do whatever they want. if they are working for someone, then they have no say in the matter. but also, no more law suits saying how their rights are violated because of their religion. discrimination works BOTH ways

GhettoDogAllStars 01-26-2007 09:44 AM

I can understand. If I were a cabbie I wouldn't want to take fares from people carrying smelly diapers, or something like that. :)

TheMalcolmConnection 01-26-2007 10:16 AM

Just last week at my conference, a Pakistani cabbie let me DRINK some of the thirty beers I was carrying with me to a club. He was saying hilarious things like, "I love to do the doggie style! I LOVE THE BIG ASS!"

He was one cool dude.

Daseal 01-26-2007 11:34 AM

You guys are comparing apples to oranges. They aren't discriminating against a race like you plan to do with your new business ventures. Yes, a restaurant can't refuse to serve Muslims. However, they can refuse to serve you alcohol at any point for any reason. Is that discrimination? No.

Im sure it's great taking drunks in a cab, they vomit, they're loud, and they're obnoxious. I totally see where this is coming from. It's their business and they can refuse people entry when drunk or drinking just like many other services throughout the states do.

Mattyk 01-26-2007 11:37 AM

Last time I checked drunks aren't a protected group so what's the fuss here?

dmek25 01-26-2007 11:37 AM

what if the next thing is, anybody carrying a bible cant use my cab? where does someone draw the line?

Daseal 01-26-2007 11:52 AM

I think this is trying to be turned into a Muslim vs Christian debate when it isn't one. It isn't an us vs them situation. It's someone not wanting drunks in their cabs. If this were Bible Thumpers Cab Co. and it was in the middle of Kansas, you'd applaud them for ignoring drunks.

firstdown 01-26-2007 12:15 PM

He did not say that the cab driver would not take drunks he said that he did not allow alcohol. If I was getting a cab and he said no alcohol I don't know if I would even think twice about it and would dump out my drink. Now if it was a bottle I'd find a different cab.

dmek25 01-26-2007 12:21 PM

[quote=Daseal;272697]I think this is trying to be turned into a Muslim vs Christian debate when it isn't one. It isn't an us vs them situation. It's someone not wanting drunks in their cabs. If this were Bible Thumpers Cab Co. and it was in the middle of Kansas, you'd applaud them for ignoring drunks.[/quote]
i guess everyone is a little testy anytime the word muslim is used. all im saying that if its company policy, then fine. but if its just one muslim cab driver trying to make his own rules, screw him. do what all the other cab drivers are doing

dmek25 01-26-2007 12:23 PM

and i am probably the farthest thing from a bible thumper. i just think that sometimes our great country goes out of its way to appease the select few, instead of satisfying the vast majority