Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Your Pick (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=16935)

diehardskin2982 02-01-2007 11:11 AM

Your Pick

Of these 5 players who would you take and why?

Alan Branch
Jamaal Anderson
Gaines Adams
Amobi Okoye
Paul Posluszny

Or would you take someone else? Present your player and you reasoning Stregths vs Weaknesses.

As for me it is Branch. I feel his talent, size and potiental paired with Griffin would be like nitro. He is a space-eater and although we would not be able to trade down. he is well worth it.

I've also said before that I'd give up next years first to get back into the first and take Posluszny similar to the Campbell pick. Put Paul in the middle with Branch, Griffin, Washington, Rocky, and Taylor would be nasty. Not to mentoin if we move Springs to safety, and sign the CB from the bills I 'd give up future picks in a heartbeat for that roster combination. So if anyone from the skins is reading this take notes!

Schneed10 02-01-2007 11:19 AM

Re: Your Pick

Branch.

My pick is based on need. The GW defense is predicated on stopping the run really well, forcing the offense into 2nd & longs and 3rd & longs, and then unleashing the hounds on a blitz. With Kedric Golston, we have a 290 pound DT with some quickness. He can outmaneuver guys on pass rushing plays sometimes, but if he's going up against a beefy guard like Philly's Shawn Andrews, he gets cleared the F out of the way on running plays.

And Salave'a obviously ain't what he used to be. Branch is 6'6", 330 pounds. He'd be an immovable object, clogging the run. Plus the dude can rush the passer, would occupy double teams, and would allow Carter an easier time to rush the passer.

Branch would clog the line of scrimmage, preventing linemen from reaching the LB level of our defense. Lemar Marshall might start to look like a decent linebacker again.

We NEED Alan Branch. We also need a corner; but I think that will be Nate Clements.

That Guy 02-01-2007 11:25 AM

i don't think we'd take okoye or Posluszny unless we traded down a bit. The other three all seem pretty good to me, but they haven't started running their highlight reels 24/7 on espn etc yet, so it's still a bit early.

branch + griffin would be scary at DT though. daniels would need to be upgraded next year.

artmonkforhallofamein07 02-01-2007 11:26 AM

[quote=Schneed10;274019]Branch.

My pick is based on need. The GW defense is predicated on stopping the run really well, forcing the offense into 2nd & longs and 3rd & longs, and then unleashing the hounds on a blitz. With Kedric Golston, we have a 290 pound DT with some quickness. He can outmaneuver guys on pass rushing plays sometimes, but if he's going up against a beefy guard like Philly's Shawn Andrews, he gets cleared the F out of the way on running plays.

And Salave'a obviously ain't what he used to be. Branch is 6'6", 330 pounds. He'd be an immovable object, clogging the run. Plus the dude can rush the passer, would occupy double teams, and would allow Carter an easier time to rush the passer.

Branch would clog the line of scrimmage, preventing linemen from reaching the LB level of our defense. Lemar Marshall might start to look like a decent linebacker again.

We NEED Alan Branch. We also need a corner; but I think that will be Nate Clements.[/quote]

I agree with you. I didnt realize how big A B was.

ArtMonkDrillz 02-01-2007 11:27 AM

I don't know a whole lot about these guys but I went with [B]Branch[/B] because of his ability to help out against the rush. If Branch can take some of the attention off Carter I think we'll see the team's total sacks go up dramatically. Likewise, if teams can't just run up the gut on us every play the secondary won't have as much pressure on them to help out up close.

724Skinsfan 02-01-2007 11:46 AM

Got to go with Branch as well with the repeated thought that he is a big object that will stop the run. If Brandon Jacobs is the Giants starting RB then we'll need a big body against him. Likewise with the Cowboys duo.

My only thoughts on him as far as being effective are:
1) Griffin's health - will he stay healthy for Branch's second (first full season) in '08.
2) At what point will he start being a consistent contributor to the team? Whatever Defensive rookie we take GW will sit him for at least half a season with the possibility of rotating him in every now and then.

Hog1 02-01-2007 11:49 AM

Gotta' be Branch. How sweet would it be to rush only the down lineman, and still pressure the QB? That leaves lots of other guys for GW's mischief!

Bill B 02-01-2007 11:52 AM

Alan Branch - everything above pretty much sums it up.

redsk1 02-01-2007 02:36 PM

I think I would trade down, maybe even a couple times, to accumulate a late first rounder and potentially 3 or 4 other 2nd/3rd round picks. That would give the skins about 4 top picks to build some depth to our team. Our needs are more than just DL. You could still pick up a top lb late first round (Paul P, Willis, Blades, Buster Davis) and have several more picks to get some depth at CB, Safety (Josh Wilson, Ross, Rouse, etc) to fill in some holes. So we could put all our eggs in one basket w/ Branch (who could be a great pick) or get 4 quality starters for our D. Just an opinion though. It depends how much others want our pick and what they are willing to give us. We just have a lot of holes on D. Keep in mind we'll most likely pick up 1 key FA for the defense.

dmek25 02-01-2007 02:44 PM

who ever it is, they need to be able to get after the quarterback. right now , probably branch. but i was pleasantly surprised by golston. he had a pretty good rookie year

Big C 02-01-2007 03:49 PM

Pozlusny? ive read he is nowhere near an elite prospect and might be a 2nd rounder. i went okoye but id be just as happy with branch

skinsfan69 02-01-2007 03:58 PM

Whoever the best player is then take that person. Regarless of position unless it's a QB or RB. The last time we drafted for need we took Carlos Rogers instead of Shawn Merriman or DeMarus Ware. Drafting for need gets you nowhere. If Branch is there and he is the best player then take him. If Charles Johnson slips and he is the best player at 6, which he would be, then take him. We are not good enough to be drafting by need.

JGisLordOfTheRings 02-01-2007 05:33 PM

Branch or Okeye. Branch REALLY impresses me with his speed and his ability to totally control the line of scrimmage by himself. Okeye also caught my eye. He's what, 18? And he's THAT good NOW!? Jesus....I think either would be a good choice seeing as how badly our D is hurting in areas. CB is next spot to be looked @.

GTripp0012 02-01-2007 07:27 PM

Okoye intrigues me. He's a smaller DT, but that type of player has had success recently.

I still went Branch though. IMO, hes better. Branch is the one guy on that list that I would rather have than a trade down.

GiantsSuck703 02-01-2007 08:33 PM

It has to be Alan Branch, the only guy thats better than him in this draft is Calvin Johnson and there is no chance he falls to us. We need to use this pick, not trade back for a couple of average players. Take Alan Branch and draft a DE in the first round next year. We could team Alan Branch and Kedric Golston for the next ten seasons, and this will make our LB and our DB much much better.

PLEASE PICK ALAN BRANCH JOE GIBBS