Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   PS3 already considering price drop? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=16952)

JGisLordOfTheRings 02-02-2007 09:01 PM

Re: PS3 already considering price drop?

[quote=saden1;274509]You really have to look at what you get for $600. You get WIFI, 60GIG HD, free online play and a Blue-Ray player. Not to mention a great gaming system. The only reason why I don't own a system right now and probably a lot of people is not because of the price but because there aren't games worth playing.

Sony isn't going to prematurely discount the system. They are going to wait and see how the system sells after the great games they have scheduled for release come out.

Once the PS3 has been out for a year, we'll know which console will be crowned king of the gaming jungle.[/quote]

Good points. The PS3's current lineup of games is crappy, really crappy. Maybe after Metal Gear Solid 3 comes out or one of the other 1000 titles they have working but, like you said. Until they release the games, its not worth the money. I also heard somewhere that Capcom and Hideo Kojima(creator of MGS series) have moved over and will create some of their more flagship Sony titles to XBOX360 i.e. MGS, Resident Evil. etc.

I used to hate the orig. XBOX cuz I owned a PS2. Now I have a 360 and I love it. Just love it. Add MGS and Capcom titles too the 360, and i may NEVER go back to Sony.

Now the Wii on the other hand is a totally different animal. Man I would KILL to get my hands on one!

dall-assblows 02-02-2007 10:56 PM

the wii is blowing ps3 out of the water

FRPLG 02-02-2007 11:47 PM

did anyone not see this coming? I mean they severely missed their price point. A coworker and I had a whole discussion about this before the console came out and voila here it goes. I'd love to say I am some technology sage but this wasn't hard to see. They basically priced the console as twice as good as xbox when no reasonable evaluation puts it that far ahead and xbox360 already had a year jump on their library. Then of course the Wii came from nowhere and has made it even worse. Another patented Sony f*ck up. They always seem to do this. Lead the charge on innovation and then get too big for their britches and start 'pioneering' proprietary products that get beat in the market because of price. You'd think they'd learn. They're gonna lose on Blue Ray too. Its the same song new tune.

JGisLordOfTheRings 02-03-2007 12:01 AM

[quote=FRPLG;274531]did anyone not see this coming? I mean they severely missed their price point. A coworker and I had a whole discussion about this before the console came out and voila here it goes. I'd love to say I am some technology sage but this wasn't hard to see. [B]They basically priced the console as twice as good as xbox when no reasonable evaluation puts it that far ahead and xbox360 already had a year jump on their library. Then of course the Wii came from nowhere and has made it even worse.[/B] Another patented Sony f*ck up. They always seem to do this. Lead the charge on innovation and then get too big for their britches and start 'pioneering' proprietary products that get beat in the market because of price. [B]You'd think they'd learn. They're gonna lose on Blue Ray too.[/B] Its the same song new tune.[/quote]

[U]Lots of good points![/U]

[B]1:[/B] Spot the hell on....my thoughts exactly. WTF were they thinking? I mean, I know that 60% of this country is overweight and all but, that doesnt make us dumber, does it?

[B]2: [/B]Remember when PS2 came out? Almost the same situation as now. DVD's were pretty new-ish at the time and people scoffed at the PS2 but still bought it because there was NO competition. They thought even with the 360 on the market they could come out and repeat. WRONG! I wouldnt be surprised if this royally screws Sony to the point where they stray away from videogames.

mredskins 02-03-2007 10:07 AM

I believe in the end 360 is going to be king of the gaming jungle. The thing that will put them there is Xbox Live. It is awesome and I am just a casual player. Sony has not built anything close to the Live format. I love how you can talk with people, compare games, track achivements, watch movies, and the acarde is ****ing awesome! I was a huge PS2 fan but towards the end I was playing more Xbox. If MGS, RE, and Gods of War come out on 360, goodbye Sony.

I also love how Nintendo has bursted back on the scene. I have sold my Xbox and PS2 but I still have my Gamecube, N64, and NES all still have games that are enjoyable to re-play. Mario Party with a bunch a friends is a good time! Plus they kick ass on hand helds! The PSP is a joke it is all PS2 games dumbed down and if you have bouhgt a UMD movie god bless you. I will say I have not played MGS PO on it yet. I am thinking of picking it up today, just because I love the series.

I guess in the end we will see but I would put my money on 360. Microsoft was backed into a corner by Sony and they have come out swinging!

MTK 02-03-2007 10:23 AM

[quote=Big C;274498]nintendo innovative? yes the wii is but throughout history hell no. they tried to get by by making mario games for 20 years and that got old as hell[/quote]

Wrong my friend. Nintendo is responsible for things like the analog stick, rumble feature, shoulder buttons on the controller, and they absolutely own the handheld market with another cool innovation, dual screens with one of them being a touch screen.

As for those 20 year old first party games like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc., they still sell like crazy and are usually rated as the top games of the year when they come out.

JGisLordOfTheRings 02-04-2007 03:00 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;274580]Wrong my friend. Nintendo is responsible for things like the analog stick, rumble feature, shoulder buttons on the controller, and they absolutely own the handheld market with another cool innovation, dual screens with one of them being a touch screen.

As for those 20 year old first party games like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc., they still sell like crazy and are usually rated as the top games of the year when they come out.[/quote]

Yup, yup and uhhhh......yup. That about says it all. Microsoft has the money, Sony has the reputation and Nintendo has the creativity. The Nintendo DS frickin rules! I love mine! The wirless feature and touch screen are EXTREMELY innovative and fun to use. Oh yeah, and no matter what kinda game it is, if it has Mario in it, forget it. Bestseller even before it comes out. They should make a Mario Party for the DS and a Mario Football game. The Madden game for DS blew my dong. Zelda is great and Metroid will NEVER get old. Nintendo has carved a niche in the gaming industry and even though they dont have to reinvent themselves to compete, they are. They have a LOCK on the handheld market cuz the PSP is HORRIBLE!

In short, Nintendo whups that ass. That Sony ass. Oh yeah...and Wii is the SHIT! My friend has one and all I do is play Madden and golf. So fun, especially Madden. Nothing like reaching out to catch your own pass after you just threw it. God, I would kill for a Wii.....

GhettoDogAllStars 02-05-2007 08:42 AM

[QUOTE=Schneed10;274483]There's a reason why Nintendo dominated when I was a kid. F the playstation. F the X-Box. F Sega. F Colecovision. F Atari.

Nintendo's just way more innovative. I'm so partial to them, I'll never buy anything else.

Wii![/QUOTE]

WORD!

Nintendo is the only one who stays true to the art. Respek!

GhettoDogAllStars 02-05-2007 08:45 AM

[QUOTE=FRPLG;274531]did anyone not see this coming? I mean they severely missed their price point. A coworker and I had a whole discussion about this before the console came out and voila here it goes. I'd love to say I am some technology sage but this wasn't hard to see. They basically priced the console as twice as good as xbox when no reasonable evaluation puts it that far ahead and xbox360 already had a year jump on their library. Then of course the Wii came from nowhere and has made it even worse. Another patented Sony f*ck up. They always seem to do this. Lead the charge on innovation and then get too big for their britches and start 'pioneering' proprietary products that get beat in the market because of price. You'd think they'd learn. They're gonna lose on Blue Ray too. Its the same song new tune.[/QUOTE]

I can't remember where I read it, but I heard that Sony stands to lose $1 billion per year on the PS3. That, and they fired/re-assigned all their top execs in the PS3 dept. It pretty much looks like a total failure, from where I'm standing.

firstdown 02-06-2007 10:19 AM

Cutting the price is nothing new in this market. There are just so many people who will spend $600 and then they drop the price and the next group will spend. Then they drop the price again. Next they come out with the next best thing (which is probably already in boxes ready to go) and they drop the price on the now old system and even more people will now buy one. I'm still playing pong. For you younger guys that was the first one out with four different paddle game like tennis.

FRPLG 02-06-2007 10:41 AM

[QUOTE=firstdown;275199]Cutting the price is nothing new in this market. There are just so many people who will spend $600 and then they drop the price and the next group will spend. Then they drop the price again. Next they come out with the next best thing (which is probably already in boxes ready to go) and they drop the price on the now old system and even more people will now buy one. I'm still playing pong. For you younger guys that was the first one out with four different paddle game like tennis.[/QUOTE]

Certainly cutting the price is a common tactic. It usually takes at least a year and probably xmas seasons though. Cutting it now seems like a desperation move. And I think there is something to be said for buyer disinterest.

A product like this is always hottest when it comes out. EVERYONE wants it right away. When you over price it you immediately make it unattainable to groups of people. As time goes by and the price comes down how many of those people, who may have bought it at $400 right when it came out, now won't buy it at $400 since they have become disinterested due to time or hype die-down? Even if they lose a 20% share right there(1/5 people which I think is way conservative) then you have lost millions and possibly billions.

I am thinking that out of every 5 people who didn't buy it at $600 but would have bought it at say $400 they lose 2 when they do eventually bring it down. Human nature rules the market and they piss away a good amount of market by missing the price point initially.

MTK 02-06-2007 11:13 AM

I definitely would not buy a PS3 at the current price, and I'm not even sure if a $50 or even a $100 price drop would sway me.

GhettoDogAllStars 02-06-2007 11:39 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;275214]I definitely would not buy a PS3 at the current price, and I'm not even sure if a $50 or even a $100 price drop would sway me.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Looking at the 360 for $400 with more and better games (and HD DVD add-on capability), I can't see justifying spending anything more than $400 on a PS3. IMO, they've got to drop to $400 if they want to compete. Even then, I'd probably just get a Wii.

FRPLG 02-06-2007 01:50 PM

That's another good point. How many people buy the 360 instead because of price? Sony is pissing away serious market share with their pricing. If they can't make money on it at less then they have built a product that the market doesn't 'want'.

mredskins 02-06-2007 01:58 PM

Sedgebrook: Residents are saying “we love the Wii!”
There’s a Nintendo Wii videogame system set up in the lounge at Sedgebrook, and the bowling game has become so popular that a group of residents have organized a tournament later this month. More than 20 players have already signed up to compete. Flora Dierbach, who lives at Sedgebrook and has fallen hard for the Wii, helped organize the tournament. She says she and the rest of the Sedgebrook entertainment committee will be decorating the lounge to look like a real bowling alley – complete with a fan for drying your hands before you bowl – just for the tournament. Prizes will be awarded for the single highest scoring game and the highest series of games.“Bowling and golf are probably the most popular [Wii] games here so far,” says Dierbach. “One guy told me he tried boxing but his granddaughter knocked him out!”

LINCOLNSHIRE, IL – There’s a Nintendo Wii videogame system set up in the lounge at Sedgebrook, and the bowling game has become so popular that a group of residents have organized a tournament later this month. More than 20 players have already signed up to compete.

Flora Dierbach, who lives at Sedgebrook and has fallen hard for the Wii, helped organize the tournament. She says she and the rest of the Sedgebrook entertainment committee will be decorating the lounge to look like a real bowling alley – complete with a fan so players can dry their hands before they bowl – just for the tournament. Prizes will be awarded for the single highest scoring game and the highest series of games.

“Bowling and golf are probably the most popular [Wii] games here so far,” says Dierbach. “One guy told me he tried boxing but his granddaughter knocked him out!”

The Wii bowling tournament will be held Sunday, February 18, 2007, 1-4 p.m. in the Shoreline Lounge at Sedgebrook.

The Nintendo Wii, which uses a wireless controller to translate players’ motions onto the screen, is designed to make gaming accessible to people of all ages and all abilities. In October, Nintendo demoed the system at AARP’s annual Life@50+ event. (Kate Newton Schmelyun)

THIS SHOWS THE POWER OF NINTENDO'S MARKETING TEAM! THEY ARE ABLE TO GET OLD PEOPLE EXICITED ABOUT VIDEO GAMING!