Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   News from the Combine (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=17144)

GTripp0012 02-24-2007 09:40 AM

Re: News from the Combine

[quote=Beemnseven;280022]But how much do we need Vilma if Fletcher is coming to town? We wouldn't get BOTH would we?
[/quote]No. If this trade for Vilma is happening, it will be finalized in the next week. Otherwise we would sign Fletcher.

I don't like moving out of a position to get Branch, but considering we may pass on him anyway, getting Vilma at least gives me something to like.

Schneed10 02-24-2007 09:42 AM

We have too many holes on the defensive line to spend that 6th pick on a linebacker, no matter how good that linebacker is.

Plus if we traded Betts, we'd have no depth at RB. It's be Portis and my two grandmothers at the RB position.

That Vilma trade would be a horrendous idea.

Beemnseven 02-24-2007 10:23 AM

[QUOTE=GTripp0012;280023]No. If this trade for Vilma is happening, it will be finalized in the next week. Otherwise we would sign Fletcher.

I don't like moving out of a position to get Branch, [B]but considering we may pass on him anyway,[/B] getting Vilma at least gives me something to like.[/QUOTE]

You're right about that. Unless they're being REALLY tight lipped about it, which is to be expected, I haven't heard, seen or read anything about the Redskins mention the slightest word about Alan Branch.

All the talk has been about the two D-ends.

SmootSmack 02-24-2007 10:25 AM

[QUOTE=GoSkins!;280002]Just to note, the preceeding paragraph starts by saying "unconfirmed rumors abound" and the next says most of the rumors are made up by rabid fans...

i.e. this info could have come from the writer reading stuff here on the warpath.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you know it's funny because what I meant to write was "interesting, this is almost ripped exactly from the warpath"

Beemnseven 02-24-2007 10:26 AM

[QUOTE=Schneed10;280024]We have too many holes on the defensive line to spend that 6th pick on a linebacker, no matter how good that linebacker is.

Plus if we traded Betts, we'd have no depth at RB. It's be Portis and my two grandmothers at the RB position.

That Vilma trade would be a horrendous idea.[/QUOTE]

I agree about the Vilma trade -- bad idea.

But I don't have a problem with Rock Cartwright in a limited back-up role. Plus, if we did trade away Betts, they could make the move to keep TJ Duckett.

You can find solid, reserve running backs just about anywhere. Hell, Kenny Watson was a decent pickup from undrafted free agency.

12thMan 02-24-2007 10:31 AM

I'll do Betts for Vilma all day. He's just plain old good.

SmootSmack 02-24-2007 10:36 AM

[QUOTE=12thMan;280029]I'll do Betts for Vilma all day. He's just plain old good.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps. But I think the bigger issue is #6 for #25. I'd like an extra pick thrown in there

12thMan 02-24-2007 10:40 AM

[quote=TAFKAS;280030]Perhaps. But I think the bigger issue is #6 for #25. I'd like an extra pick thrown in there[/quote]

If there is any truth to this rumor, that's the part the Skins are working on.

SmootSmack 02-24-2007 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=12thMan;280031]If there is any truth to this rumor, that's the part the Skins are working on.[/QUOTE]

I still keep hearing for the last several weeks that Michael Turner is the guy the Jets really want. So we'll see

Skinner 02-24-2007 10:49 AM

I think we should tade betts only if they throw in a second round or third round pick.I like betts too but we need a DE,DT,MLB,SS, (im not sold on AA rebounding)and we need a corner.WTF!!and he shouldn't be traded?! We have ONE quality draft pick and five holes on D. With the 25th pick Georgia DE Charles Johnson could be around, Quentin Moses too. If we get a second round pick we could get ARK CB Chris Houston or Utah S Eric Weedle or maybe S Brandon Merriweather from where Da U!

724Skinsfan 02-24-2007 10:54 AM

One thing to keep in mind is that we could use either a DT or a DE from the draft. So, take the Defensive Linemen rankings and see what the drop-off in talent is from #6 to #25. If it's acceptably marginal then we save money signing a #25 rather than a #6. Any extra savings will be nice to have for additional signings (CB,DL/DE,backup RB?).

I don't want to see Ladell go but if given the chance to be a starter I'm sure that's what his heart desires.

diehardskin2982 02-24-2007 11:16 AM

why that rumor is not true:

1. Why are in the market for London Fletcher if this is the case?
2. Are you telling me we would trade a top 15 runningback and top 6 pick for a non-top 15 Linebacker and a later pick?
3. Tackles Fletcher #3 leading tackler, Vilma #19

that trade has no benefit for us

12thMan 02-24-2007 11:23 AM

[quote=diehardskin2982;280036]why that rumor is not true:

1. Why are in the market for London Fletcher if this is the case?
2. Are you telling me we would trade a top 15 runningback and top 6 pick for a non-top 15 Linebacker and a later pick?
3. Tackles Fletcher #3 leading tackler, Vilma #19

that trade has no benefit for us[/quote]

I think head to head, pound for pound, Vilma is the better player. Plus he's a lot younger.

diehardskin2982 02-24-2007 11:37 AM

[QUOTE=12thMan;280037]I think head to head, pound for pound, Vilma is the better player. Plus he's a lot younger.[/QUOTE]

would you give up that much for one player? Not me, picking up Fletcher, drafting branch and getting clements could be huge.

That Guy 02-24-2007 12:39 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;280018]While I'd hate to see Betts go, RBs are easily found in the draft, PRO BOWL LBs are not.[/quote]

except they are. washington was a 2nd round pick. demeco ryans was a late first rounder. look at the tags this year, most are on d linemen, not linebackers. both are easy to get. HoF DEs/QBs are the hardest thing to get, followed by shutdown corners, franchise LTs, and game changing WRs (TO/randy moss in their prime, calvin johnson's potential, etc).