Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   An Inconvenient Truth (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=17184)

Hog1 02-28-2007 08:13 AM

Re: An Inconvenient Truth

Media and fairness do not go together. they are about drama, shock........sadly, not truth

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 02-28-2007 08:20 AM

[QUOTE=FRPLG;281246]I think it is wholly unfair for the media to make headlines that clearly are meant as indictments when there are major parts of the story that change the whole context. It happens all the time with all kinds of politicians(and everyone else too) and I am tired of it. There's plenty to complain about most people, including Al Gore, without some manufactured story about his energy use.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, it's pretty bad when a politicians has been screaming for the past 3 years about people needing to reduce their "carbon footprint" and how, if we don't reduce our energy consumption, we are going to detroy the earth, and lo and behold, he's got an energy bill that is as expensive as a BMW convertible coupe. It's pretty hard to take that out of context.

It's just as funny as a story about a Christian Conservative preacher trying to score some crystal meth and having sex with a male prostitute. But, I didn't mean to have a really deep conversation, I just thought the story was funny.

BrudLee 02-28-2007 08:24 AM

The "offsetting your carbon footprint" is a tremendous scam. Basically, it says to donate to eco-friendly groups if you use too much energy (by the groups' standards!) and you'll be OK. It reminds me of an old Dennis Miller joke:

"I saw an ad in a magazine - 'Learn to avoid rip-offs! Send $5 to...'"

dmek25 02-28-2007 10:22 AM

[quote=JGisLordOfTheRings;281190]Sick. I cant say much more than has already been said. Al Gore is a no-character, robotic, hypocritical talking head. [B][I][U]When I think about how much of a retard I think Bush is, it makes me smile because I'd rather him than Al Gore[/U][/I][/B]. I mean, come....[B]he [/B]invented the internet. WTF.[/quote]
sorry, here is who brought up our president, tafkas

dmek25 02-28-2007 10:23 AM

[quote=TAFKAS;281238]Thank you. Dmek I apologize[/quote]
no biggie:)

Monkeydad 02-28-2007 04:53 PM

Ohhhh, so he's installing solar panels on his 8-bedroom, 20-room home? How efficient!

I wonder if he'll put solar panels on the private jets he flies in to lecture us about using the wrong kind of lightbulbs?

I have no problem with him having a huge house...good for him that he can provide his family with it...but when he lectures me about driving a gasoline car and then jumps on a jet that will burn more fuel in one trip than I will in a whole year and goes back to a house that has a higher electric bill than I have a mortgage...I can't take him seriously. In fact, I call that not only being a hypicrite but a liar also.

SkinEmAll 02-28-2007 09:50 PM

[quote=FRPLG;281246]I don't like Al Gore too much and I am not too confident about the truthfullness behind the whole global climate crisis discussion but if he is having solar panels installed then that should be as big a story as his energy use. I think it is wholly unfair for the media to make headlines that clearly are meant as indictments when there are major parts of the story that change the whole context. It happens all the time with all kinds of politicians(and everyone else too) and I am tired of it. There's plenty to complain about most people, including Al Gore, [B]without some manufactured story about his energy use.[/quote][/B]

what manufactured story? Its in black and white, plain as day. Hes been on this 'global warming' stuff for a while now. And he's just now getting solar,.........hmm.
Oh, and the private linear jets he flys on to go speak about how everyone else needs to do this and that, use ALOT more fuel than commercial aircraft. Anyway, enough about that bozo.

SkinEmAll 02-28-2007 10:00 PM

You know how we have all these experts telling us about global warming? one group says its this bad, another says its that bad, theres no universal theory. And then you have other experts barking about a big hole in the ozone. Again, lots of different theorys on the hole. Skinemall's theory is this simple: ok, so if we have global warming, we all know heat rises. And if we have a hole in the ozone...... wouldnt the heat just go out thru the hole? ;)

firstdown 03-01-2007 09:31 AM

[quote=FRPLG;281246]I don't like Al Gore too much and I am not too confident about the truthfullness behind the whole global climate crisis discussion but if he is having solar panels installed then that should be as big a story as his energy use. I think it is wholly unfair for the media to make headlines that clearly are meant as indictments when there are major parts of the story that change the whole context. It happens all the time with all kinds of politicians(and everyone else too) and I am tired of it. There's plenty to complain about most people, including Al Gore, without some manufactured story about his energy use.[/quote]
I don't get how you say they manufactured a story about his energy use. They reported the facts and also included what he was doing to help with energy use. I thought it was well writen and gave the facts and did not add opinion so we could determine how we felt about him. It did leave out the other three houses he owns and the private jet he flies around on. He uses more energy in a year than most will in 10 to 20 years but he condones us for that.

EternalEnigma21 03-01-2007 10:52 AM

[quote=TAFKAS;281232]True about the solar panel...but who mentioned Bush here? I don't mean to make a bigger deal out of this than has to be but, is it me or do you like to attack Bush on this board just for the hell of it arbitrarly?[/quote]

He does it because he's an enemy of freedom. He hates freedom!

firstdown 03-01-2007 12:25 PM

Maybe we should not attack Gore because he did invent the Internet and without it we would not have this site!

saden1 03-01-2007 01:23 PM

Why do people keep harping on the whole "I invented the internet" thing? He didn't say [URL="http://sethf.com/gore/"]such a thing[/URL]. People need to get their [URL="http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue5_10/wiggins/"]facts straight[/URL] instead of listening to the republican spin machine.

JoeRedskin 03-01-2007 01:48 PM

Oh excuse me, he didn't [I]invent[/I] the internet, he [I]created[/I] it:

From YOUR cited source statement: Gore: ... "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet[.]"

Maybe he meant to that one of his initiatives helped create the possibility of the internet or maybe this or maybe that. Maybe he just mispoke - Of course, Democrats would NEVER harp on a gaffe made by the opposing party member.

He said what he said and he's stuck with it forever. (create v. invent - wow that's HUGE leap).

FRPLG 03-01-2007 02:01 PM

Either way he still intimated that his efforts made the internet what it is today which is ridiculous. The success of the internet and its penetration into society cannot be traced to one single person or thing. In fact probably many of the little things that helped it along could have never happened and it would be exactly the same anyways.

saden1 03-01-2007 03:44 PM

The difference between create and invent is not a mere matter of semantics. There is a real difference and it's kind of sad that people don't know the difference.

Definition of Invent:
[QUOTE]To produce or contrive ([B]something previously unknown)[/B] by the use of ingenuity or imagination.[/QUOTE]

Definition of Create:
[QUOTE]
1. To cause to exist; bring into being.
2. To give rise to; produce: That remark created a stir.
4. To produce through artistic or imaginative effort: create a poem; create a role.[/QUOTE]

I can claim that I created a car which obviously isn't the same as claiming to have invented a car. As with everything else in life you have to know something about the context of the discussion. Gore's congressional record and his support for DARPA shows that he had a hand in the creation of the internet by providing research funds and a substantial one at that ($1.7 billion).