Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   NFL Draft Central (http://www.thewarpath.net/nfl-draft-central/)
-   -   Jeff Samarja (http://www.thewarpath.net/nfl-draft-central/17583-jeff-samarja.html)

BeastsoftheNFCeast 03-25-2007 11:44 PM

Jeff Samarja

Im pretty sure he is a senior and declared that he wanted to do both baseball and football this year. He was also declared a definate 1st rounder at the begining of the year. I dont even see him in the 7th round of any mock draft. What happened? Did he deside to only do baseball? Am I wrong and was he a junior? Or did he really just suck that much?

riggoraider 03-25-2007 11:46 PM

Re: Jeff Samarja

He decided to stick with baseball

44_Riggins_44 03-25-2007 11:48 PM

Nah he was beast, he just chose to play baseball. He's with the Chicago Cubs. Hes in the minors. Hey if I was him I would probably do the same, longer career and more money :)

44_Riggins_44 03-25-2007 11:51 PM

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2490178]ESPN.com - MLB - Cubs agree to deal with Irish WR Samardzija[/url]

theres the link

xxjuschylnxx 03-25-2007 11:54 PM

[quote=44_Riggins_44;291146]Nah he was beast, he just chose to play baseball. He's with the Chicago Cubs. Hes in the minors. Hey if I was him I would probably do the same, longer career and more money :)[/quote]

You forgot to mention the physical abuse that he is going to avoid by playing baseballl; i'm sure that had something to do with it also.

That Guy 03-26-2007 12:45 AM

[quote=BeastsoftheNFCeast;291144]Im pretty sure he is a senior and declared that he wanted to do both baseball and football this year. He was also declared a definate 1st rounder at the begining of the year. I dont even see him in the 7th round of any mock draft. What happened? Did he deside to only do baseball? Am I wrong and was he a junior? Or did he really just suck that much?[/quote]

he'd be a 1st rounder easily, but he renounced himelf of football completely and had it written into his baseball contract as well.

any team that picks him would be hoping he finds out he suck at baseball and wants to try football this year (not happening) or is willing to sign a contingent contract (which he also said he wasn't going to do).

GTripp0012 03-26-2007 01:25 AM

[quote=That Guy;291150]he'd be a 1st rounder easily, but he renounced himelf of football completely and had it written into his baseball contract as well.

any team that picks him would be hoping he finds out he suck at baseball and wants to try football this year (not happening) or is willing to sign a contingent contract (which he also said he wasn't going to do).[/quote]Baseball Prospectus doesn't like him as a prospect. I could see him pursuing a football career in a few years.

He'd be smarter to have turned to football. Being a Cubs pitcher is a death sentence for your arm.

Then again, dude can catch passes and get up the field just find on a reconstructed elbow.

That Guy 03-26-2007 01:54 AM

i don't know crap about the baseball side. but he obviously prefers it... taken time off from football tends to be a death sentence though, so i'm not sure he'll be that great after a multiple year layoff.

dmek25 03-26-2007 10:15 AM

isn't Notre Dame the team that has a safety that also doubles as a boxer? thatguy, any info on how he stands as a pro prospect?

That Guy 03-26-2007 10:52 PM

[quote=dmek25;291192]isn't Notre Dame the team that has a safety that also doubles as a boxer? thatguy, any info on how he stands as a pro prospect?[/quote]

Tom Zbikowski

coming out next year. a 3rd rounder right now, but that could change drastically over the course of the next year. he's not bad, but a bit small (5'11"), and he's going to continue boxing while playing football. he's also not great in coverage, especially on deep routes - all three hurt his stock.

jsarno 03-26-2007 11:04 PM

From what I understand he has a mid 90's heater, and he's like 6'9" or something (not sure if he's that exact height, but he's tall). I was reading up on the minor league players and their ETA to the majors, and he is expected to be in the majors in 2010. He's 22 right now.
Not to make this a race issue, but he made the right choice. He would have to overcome the race barrier in the NFL, when he won't have that barrier in MLB. Plus, he'll last longer in MLB and get more money. It's a no brainer.

That Guy 03-26-2007 11:21 PM

he's 6'5"-6'6". I really don't think he'd have any trouble in either sport due to race. in the NFL he wouldn't be a speedster and that might hurt, but he'd still be a productive WR.

the money is probably better in MLB though, and even junky pitchers can stick around on someone's payroll for 12 years.

sportscurmudgeon 03-28-2007 10:03 PM

Jayson Stark is a highly respected baseball writer. He says that Samarja is one of the five best young players who caught the attention of just about all of the scouts in this year's spring training. Stark says Samarja can't miss making the majors unless an injury intervenes.

ASSUME for a moment that is the case. If he can stay healthy and make it to MLB at age 24, he has the potential for huge - and GUARANTEED - contracts for the next 10 - 15 years. From an economic perspective, baseball is a far better career path for him.

GMScud 03-28-2007 10:21 PM

[quote=sportscurmudgeon;292515]Jayson Stark is a highly respected baseball writer. He says that Samarja is one of the five best young players who caught the attention of just about all of the scouts in this year's spring training. Stark says Samarja can't miss making the majors unless an injury intervenes.

ASSUME for a moment that is the case. If he can stay healthy and make it to MLB at age 24, he has the potential for huge - and GUARANTEED - contracts for the next 10 - 15 years. From an economic perspective, baseball is a far better career path for him.[/quote]

I repeated those exact words over and over to friends of mine who "just can't believe he's not playing in the NFL." Sure, being in the NFL is the sexier thing to do. But being a major league pitcher won't break your body down the way the NFL will. You only have to take the mound once or twice a week if you're a starter! Plus MLB careers last much longer than the NFL, so your earning window is open significantly longer. If flimsly Barry Zito with his 85-87mph fastball just got $126M guaranteed (bigger than ANY contract in the NFL), then I think Szamardja will be just fine. Smart move by him.