Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   CBS Sportsline: Ramsey vs. Brunell (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=1782)

That Guy 07-19-2004 12:54 AM

ramsey is still probably a top 16-20 QB, i'd play him over harrington, leftwich, mcgown, palmer, manning, grossman, etc etc etc... so i'd love to see him get the experience sooner, but as long as the guy at QB is getting it done, i won't complain.

SKINSnCANES 07-19-2004 02:26 AM

I dont think it matters to much who starts. We have both QBs so that if one gets injured we dotn lose a step. Plus, we do get to trade brunell in madden right away to try and pick up an end, lol.

That Guy, as far as your list goes, generally id support Ramsey but I really like Leftwich. Everything ive seen of this guy makes me think hes going to be a star.

backrow 07-19-2004 07:55 AM

On the QB Controversy..

I defer to HOF Coach Gibbs! It doesn't matter what I think. I agree with Matty's assessment. For a young guy, Matty has a lot of FB smarts, and he's the greatest Administrator!

Defensewins 07-19-2004 10:48 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]Brunell still has 2-3 quality starting seasons left in him.

Ramsey is a talented kid with a bright future, but right now he's lacking in some key areas mainly being experience, accuracy and knowledge of the game.

Brunell is a great fit in this offense and gives the Skins the best shot at winning now.[/QUOTE]

I agree.
I really like Ramsey as our future QB and he will be great. But I think some of you guys might be jumping the gun and proclaiming him great now.
Ramsey still has some minor flaws to work out first.
For example Ramsey sometimes holds on to the ball way to long. A few of the sacks last year were his fault. Even Hasselback (who is not close to as good as Ramsey) did a better job of getting rid of the ball and not taking the sack.
Ramsey is also not very good at side stepping/avoiding the pass rush. He does not sense the pass rushers around him like for example Tom Brady.

I still think Gibbs watched the tapes of last year and realized he needed a vet to come in and run things while he teaches Ramsey to be great. That is not a knock on Ramsey. Ramsey is still very young and unexperienced. He has only started a few games and has never had a successful QB on his roster to mentor him. Now he does.
Having said all this and pissing all the Ramsey fans...Ramsey will eventually be the one to lead us to greatness, not Brunell. Brunell will serve to get us above .500 and hopefully into the playoffs next year.
Ramsey is the one with the potential to be great.

MTK 07-19-2004 11:15 AM

Ramsey will really benefit from sitting for a season.

Next year I think he'll push hard for the starting job and could very well steal it away, but right now Gibbs feels most comfortable with a veteran who has a proven track record and who can blame him?

Ramsey is a heck of an insurance policy though. It's likely he'll play at some point this year, when and for how long is the real question.

MTK 07-19-2004 11:16 AM

[QUOTE=backrow]I defer to HOF Coach Gibbs! It doesn't matter what I think. I agree with Matty's assessment. For a young guy, Matty has a lot of FB smarts, and he's the greatest Administrator![/QUOTE]
I can't argue with that backrow!

:thumb:

celts32 07-19-2004 05:09 PM

I would rather see Ramsey start and have Brunel as the veteran who can come in and save the season if Ramsey is injured or faulters. Brunel could ware down towards the end of the season if he starts all 16 and then we could be left with Ramsey playing down the stretch with no expierience. better to play Ramsey early and then have a fresh Brunel waiting in the wings if necessary at the end. Kind of like the Doug Williams & Jay Schrader scenario. that's how I would like to see it anyway...

MTK 07-19-2004 07:38 PM

by the way happy birthday, celts32!

SmootSmack 07-19-2004 07:42 PM

happy birthday celts!

celts32 07-20-2004 01:51 PM

Thanks guys!

SkinsRock 07-20-2004 02:16 PM

[QUOTE=Defensewins]I agree.
I really like Ramsey as our future QB and he will be great. But I think some of you guys might be jumping the gun and proclaiming him great now.
Ramsey still has some minor flaws to work out first.
For example Ramsey sometimes holds on to the ball way to long. A few of the sacks last year were his fault. Even Hasselback (who is not close to as good as Ramsey) did a better job of getting rid of the ball and not taking the sack.
Ramsey is also not very good at side stepping/avoiding the pass rush. He does not sense the pass rushers around him like for example Tom Brady.
QUOTE]

Ramsey held on too the ball too long mainly because of Spurrier's system which was based around holding it until the last possible second. The problem with that was that he got killed because of it (and lack of protection). That led to him being worse at side stepping and avoiding the rush, which he was pretty decent at the first few games. That said, yeah, having Brunell here to mentor him (not to mention Coach Gibbs) will make him that much better, regardless of who the starter is. It my take a little to get the "Spurrier-isms" out of his system, so my opinion is that Brunell will open the season, and Ramsey will finish it....and next season, the job will be Patrick's to lose....

skins009 07-20-2004 10:39 PM

I'm telling you guys, Ramsey is custom made for joe gibb's offense. The guy is smart, has got a cannon of an arm for the deep throws, and is tough as rocks. Not to mention is most impressive tool, he's got that arow of greatness to him. When the game is on the line Ramsey steps up. I've said it before Ramsey before it is all said and done is gonna be a super star. Not a goog qb but a super star.

SKINSnCANES 07-20-2004 10:52 PM

Spurrier is a horrible NFL coach, no offense daseal. But he does know qbs and receiver routes. Im sure our receivers are better because of him, and i bet Ramsey did learn a lot. Now with some better play calling, and some blocking I think Gibbs wiull benefit from following Spurrier to help teach soem of these young guys.

CrazyCanuck 07-21-2004 03:59 PM

I love Ramsey as much as anyone but I don't see him starting this year (unless Brunell gets injured or is VERY bad).

I think Gibbs knows what he's doing and wants Ramsey to learn from the sidelines a bit more. He must like what he sees in Brunell and who am I to argue?

Just hope they keep Patrick happy cuz I am really looking forward to seeing him at QB for years to come.