Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins looking at WR in the first round (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=17926)

SKINSnCANES 04-20-2007 04:04 PM

Redskins looking at WR in the first round

[B]Redskins on the move ... down?[/B] Because they have researched what it will take to move up or back from their current No. 6 slot in the first round, and because owner Dan Snyder is rarely inclined to just stand pat, the [URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=was"][COLOR=#666666]Washington Redskins[/COLOR][/URL] remain a wild card in the early portion of the draft. Popular opinion is that Washington would like to make a foray up the draft board, like into the No. 2 slot, to pluck [URL="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2007&id=11326"][COLOR=#000000]Calvin Johnson[/COLOR][/URL] of Georgia Tech. But don't be surprised if the Redskins' quest for a wide receiver to complement [URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5463"][COLOR=#000000]Santana Moss[/COLOR][/URL] actually results in a move back in the first round. Sources told ESPN.com that the Redskins were in Baton Rouge earlier this week checking out LSU wide receiver [URL="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2007&id=10524"][COLOR=#000000]Dwayne Bowe[/COLOR][/URL]. The Redskins are interested enough in Bowe to have brought along starting quarterback [URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=7201"][COLOR=#000000]Jason Campbell[/COLOR][/URL] to throw to him.

[URL]http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2844100[/URL]

TheMalcolmConnection 04-20-2007 04:05 PM

Re: Redskins looking at WR in the first round

I take no stock in that at all. Kind of like we are working out Russell to draft him too.

SKINSnCANES 04-20-2007 04:06 PM

Len Pastabelly wrote that today, you have to be an ESPN Insider to read it so I copied the part about the Skins.

This just goes to prove that you never know what the Skins are going to do. I cant say Im opposed, assuming they get extra picks and are doing this because they have someoen targeted on the Dline that will be available later

FRPLG 04-20-2007 04:07 PM

Other than CJ there is NO WAY WE TAKE A WR. That would be worse than taking a QB.

skinsfan_nn 04-20-2007 04:08 PM

Hard to believe to much of this crap. Trade Down!

Beemnseven 04-20-2007 04:42 PM

What on earth do the Redskins have to be able to trade UP?

Southpaw 04-20-2007 04:50 PM

[quote=Beemnseven;300485]What on earth do the Redskins have to be able to trade UP?[/quote]

Either Campbell or Portis along with the #6 pick. Not likely, but it's not out of the realm of possibility with this organization.

Schneed10 04-20-2007 04:55 PM

[quote=Southpaw;300491]Either Campbell or Portis along with the #6 pick. Not likely, but it's not out of the realm of possibility with this organization.[/quote]

Trade Jason Campbell.

Your priveleges of rooting for the same team as me have been revoked.

EARTHQUAKE2689 04-20-2007 04:58 PM

[quote=Schneed10;300495]Trade Jason Campbell.

Your priveleges of rooting for the same team as me have been revoked.[/quote]

i second that

skinsfan_nn 04-20-2007 05:00 PM

[quote=Southpaw;300491]Either Campbell or Portis along with the #6 pick. Not likely, but it's not out of the realm of possibility with this organization.[/quote]

NEVER HAPPEN!

GMScud 04-20-2007 05:22 PM

I will say Dwayne Bowe is awesome. I think next to Calvin Johnson, he will have the best rookie season of all the WR's. That being said, the only way I would be okay with this is if we end up with a high second round pick and use it on the best D-lineman available. Remember we can still also pursue Kris Jenkins and/or Ian Scott. Tim Crowder from Texas will be there in the 2nd round....

Counter-Tre 04-20-2007 05:24 PM

I don't like any of these speculative scenarios. Just grab Okoye and be done with it.

GMScud 04-20-2007 05:26 PM

Another thing- Bowe is projected to go in the 17-25 range of the first round, which would be a significant move down for us. We could end up with a 2nd and 3rd round pick if trade down 11-19 spots. Adding 2 early round picks and still keeping a 1st rounder would be sweet in my opinion...

rvd420 04-20-2007 05:29 PM

the only way to trade up is trade 6 pick,most of next years draft and maybe brandon loyd.my opinion would be its the dumbest thing snyder has ever done.it would rank up there with mike ditka trading all the saints draft picks to get ricky williams,and look at where he is now.

SBXVII 04-20-2007 05:30 PM

I have on good authority knowledge that the Skins have been nothing but smoke and mirrors because they don't want another team picking up the selection they plan to pick in the draft. They have gone out of their way to confuse the league as best they can and rumor has it...it has worked. I know I should not be leaking this info because now everyone will know and somehow it will get back to the media and other teams will find out but I can't keep my mouth(err..fingers) shut about this even if it hinders the Skins chances in picking up their true selection. Now having said that the actual selection they are looking at picking is Daniel Sepulveda. Now you know why all the smoke and mirrors. Now you understand the whole Briggs trade. Now you see why all the hype about trading up or down so as to get the true pick with out any hinderance. Sorry no Links all this is supposed to be secret so you can see why no information is available. I was so supprised that I even called Ms. Cleo and she confirmed this. The thought process was if we are not going to have a pass rush then why give them a half field advantage. The Skins want every team to have to work the full length of the field. Not a bad idea huh.

rvd420 04-20-2007 05:35 PM

:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: thats all i have to say.

GMScud 04-20-2007 05:43 PM

[quote=SBXVII;300520]I have on good authority knowledge that the Skins have been nothing but smoke and mirrors because they don't want another team picking up the selection they plan to pick in the draft. They have gone out of their way to confuse the league as best they can and rumor has it...it has worked. I know I should not be leaking this info because now everyone will know and somehow it will get back to the media and other teams will find out but I can't keep my mouth(err..fingers) shut about this even if it hinders the Skins chances in picking up their true selection. Now having said that the actual selection they are looking at picking is Daniel Sepulveda. Now you know why all the smoke and mirrors. Now you understand the whole Briggs trade. Now you see why all the hype about trading up or down so as to get the true pick with out any hinderance. Sorry no Links all this is supposed to be secret so you can see why no information is available. I was so supprised that I even called Ms. Cleo and she confirmed this. The thought process was if we are not going to have a pass rush then why give them a half field advantage. The Skins want every team to have to work the full length of the field. Not a bad idea huh.[/quote]

I understand the smoke and mirrors part. Most teams with top 10 picks throw out rumors and smoke screens all the time. Please tell me you're kidding about the rest of it.

rvd420 04-20-2007 05:46 PM

yo scud did you see my reply.thats what his post is.

GMScud 04-20-2007 05:55 PM

[quote=rvd420;300529]yo scud did you see my reply.thats what his post is.[/quote]

Yeah, it's like, hey, I'm going to break the news to everyone that the Skins have been all smoke and mirrors by throwing out more smoke and mirrors. hahaha

SBXVII 04-20-2007 05:57 PM

I'm sorry. Sitting at my computer day in and day out reading what you guys/gals keep posting as to who we are drafting has me laughing. All I keep thinking is watch it be something even more rediculous like a kicker or punter. I've been wanting to post something like this especially everytime I saw "I have a Friend who knows someone who works for ESPN who has a cousin who works for the NFL network who has a mother who is a secretary(or cleaning person) for the Redskins and they over heard someone of great importance talking and the Skins are going to take....." LOL. I hope you found it atleast funny. I'll be happy with whomever we pick because I'm sure we will be better then last year! I hope.LOL.

GMScud 04-20-2007 06:07 PM

[quote=SBXVII;300535]I'm sorry. Sitting at my computer day in and day out reading what you guys/gals keep posting as to who we are drafting has me laughing. All I keep thinking is watch it be something even more rediculous like a kicker or punter. I've been wanting to post something like this especially everytime I saw "I have a Friend who knows someone who works for ESPN who has a cousin who works for the NFL network who has a mother who is a secretary(or cleaning person) for the Redskins and they over heard someone of great importance talking and the Skins are going to take....." LOL. I hope you found it atleast funny. I'll be happy with whomever we pick because I'm sure we will be better then last year! I hope.LOL.[/quote]

The truth of the matter is, we probably are pumping a lot of smoke and mirrors out there, although it's no secret we want out of the 6th pick.

Unfortunately at this point in the offseason there is nothing to talk about but the draft. I don't think I've ever been more tired of hearing about an upcoming draft than I am this year. I'm having nightmares about Mel Kiper. I can't believe it's still more than a week away. At this point getting April 28th-29th over with will be more of a relief than a joy.

SBXVII 04-20-2007 06:23 PM

I can tell you after the last game I was kinda bored with football. no skins. then we make a few moves yeeha. then nothing. now all the talk is starting to wear thin. none of it is probubly true. perhaps only a fraction of it. but people are so excited to give what ever new news they can find. I can remember back in the 70's early 80's there was no smoke and mirrors because no one leaked information. god forbid you informed the public as to who the team was interested in. now info leaks everywhere. it's not a drip or a trickle its the whole damb opening up. flooding the media. Perhaps its not individuals spilling info possibly screwing up our chances of picking up the person we want...perhaps it is on purpose that the info is being released. Perhaps even by team officials. I just wonder how much is the truth and how many times Gibbs and company sat back and said " Man, who keeps leaking our prospects so we get other teams interested in the same person and they screw us in the draft by taking the person before us."

SBXVII 04-20-2007 06:45 PM

I'm sorry I probubly should not have posted this here. I did not mean to be disrespectful to anyone. I just think its funny...all the rumors. and yes I'm going through DT's also in regards to the skins.
Back on topic....I can see us taking a possession reciever in the draft since all we have is Thrash and ARE. They probubly want someone who is one fry short of a happy meal to go over the middle all the time. and from what I'm reading Dwayne is probubly our man.

GTripp0012 04-20-2007 07:51 PM

I think that between Bowe and Johnson, it would be a toss up as to who will have the better career. So it is FAR smarter to trade down for Bowe than up for CJ.

But why we got to go that route?

EARTHQUAKE2689 04-20-2007 07:54 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;300556]I think that between Bowe and Johnson, it would be a toss up as to who will have the better career. So it is FAR smarter to trade down for Bowe than up for CJ.

But why we got to go that route?[/quote]

cj will have the better career

GMScud 04-20-2007 07:55 PM

[quote=SBXVII;300545]I'm sorry I probubly should not have posted this here. I did not mean to be disrespectful to anyone. I just think its funny...all the rumors. and yes I'm going through DT's also in regards to the skins.
Back on topic....I can see us taking a possession reciever in the draft since all we have is Thrash and ARE. They probubly want someone who is one fry short of a happy meal to go over the middle all the time. and from what I'm reading Dwayne is probubly our man.[/quote]

You weren't disrespectful. It was funny.:food-smil

You say from what you are reading Dwayne is our man. Two questions:
1) You mean Dwayne Bowe, not Dwayne Jarret, right?
2) Where are you reading it? Anywhere other than Pasquerelli?

GTripp0012 04-20-2007 07:55 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;300558]cj will have the better career[/quote]Maybe. But certainly not for any reasons we've discovered through the draft process.

EARTHQUAKE2689 04-20-2007 07:59 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;300560]Maybe. But certainly not for any reasons we've discovered through the draft process.[/quote]

no but he will be a better player than bowe by far

i feel another heated argument between quake and tripp

GTripp0012 04-20-2007 08:02 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;300561]no but he will be a better player than bowe by far

i feel another heated argument between quake and tripp[/quote]Where was I for Quake-GTripp I?

EARTHQUAKE2689 04-20-2007 08:04 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;300564]Where was I for Quake-GTripp I?[/quote]

you were there the whole russell better than quinn thing just go alongwith it. it makes a good rivalry just something to do when there is nothing to do

GTripp0012 04-20-2007 08:07 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;300565]you were there the whole russell better than quinn thing just go alongwith it. it makes a good rivalry just something to do when there is nothing to do[/quote]Oh yeah, that one.

I think that was GTripp v alotofpeople.

Nah, it's all cool though. It wouldn't be fun if whenever I said something that went against conventional logic, I got six posts agreeing with me.

EARTHQUAKE2689 04-20-2007 08:10 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;300570]Oh yeah, that one.

I think that was GTripp v alotofpeople.

Nah, it's all cool though. It wouldn't be fun if whenever I said something that went against conventional logic, I got six posts agreeing with me.[/quote]

true but i was the main one plus youre the closest to my age and whenever i talk to people in the street about football they always say i am too young to know all that i know

and for the record am i the youngest one on this site

skinsfan69 04-20-2007 08:14 PM

[quote=Counter-Tre;300516]I don't like any of these speculative scenarios. Just grab Okoye and be done with it.[/quote]

Exactly.

SmootSmack 04-20-2007 08:16 PM

Gibbs did say last week they want to improve their red zone efficiency, and Bowe would certainly be a good red zone option. But man, that would not be a good choice at all with everything else needed and available.

Say No to Bowe

EARTHQUAKE2689 04-20-2007 08:20 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;300576]Gibbs did say last week they want to improve their red zone efficiency, and Bowe would certainly be a good red zone option. But man, that would not be a good choice at all with everything else needed and available.

Say No to Bowe[/quote]

say no to bowe

skinsfan_nn 04-20-2007 08:25 PM

A WR should be the last thing on the priority list, right now. We NEED a Defense.

IMO, we are in pretty good shape on the offensive side of the ball.
Yea Lloyd's a tard, but he's gonna get one more year. Let's hope he can turn it around.

GTripp0012 04-20-2007 08:27 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;300573]true but i was the main one plus youre the closest to my age and whenever i talk to people in the street about football they always say i am too young to know all that i know

and for the record am i the youngest one on this site[/quote]You better be careful. PWNED may be lurking...

EARTHQUAKE2689 04-20-2007 08:28 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;300582]You better be careful. PWNED may be lurking...[/quote]

i know he got me the first week i was on here but i hardly ever see him

Longtimefan 04-20-2007 08:35 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfan_nn;300580]A WR should be the last thing on the priority list, right now. We NEED a Defense.

IMO, we are in pretty good shape on the offensive side of the ball.
Yea Lloyd's a tard, but he's gonna get one more year. Let's hope he can turn it around.[/QUOTE]

I agree....I know Gibbs said we need to improve our red-zone offense, but if we don't do something about defense it's not going to matter unless they plan to play football the way the Wizards play basketball....Outscore everybody-No defense.

GMScud 04-20-2007 08:36 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;300576]Gibbs did say last week they want to improve their red zone efficiency, and Bowe would certainly be a good red zone option. But man, that would not be a good choice at all with everything else needed and available.

Say No to Bowe[/quote]

But what if we found a trading partner in the mid-late first round and also scored a 2nd and 3rd or 4th rounder? We could get Bowe and also end up with a D-lineman like Tim Crowder, Charles Johnson, or Turk McBride, or a safety like Meriweather.

I do think that Cooley, Sellers, Portis, and Betts can put together good red zone effeciency. If friggin' Lloyd can step up he'd help too....

Argghhh, I just wish tomorrow was the 28th, not the 21st. I am SO tired of speculation at this point.