Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   AP "Gibbs doubts any draftee could start" (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=17978)

Citizens for 81 04-25-2007 08:06 AM

AP "Gibbs doubts any draftee could start"

Here's an AP article on the press conference on Tuesday. While it sounds overly critical of Gibbs (at least to me), I think the writer makes a few points.

[url=http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=200253]SportingNews.com - NFL - Gibbs doubts any draftee could start[/url]

MTK 04-25-2007 09:16 AM

Re: AP "Gibbs doubts any draftee could start"

I think this article is twisting his words a bit and trying to make a story out of nothing. I don't see where Gibbs directly says that he doubts a draftee could start.

I think more than anything he's trying to show his support and faith in his current personnel. He's simply saying that competition will be tough for any rookie who comes in, he'll have to earn his spot just like anyone else.

KLHJ2 04-25-2007 09:23 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;301979]I think this article is twisting his words a bit and trying to make a story out of nothing. I don't see where Gibbs directly says that he doubts a draftee could start.

I think more than anything he's trying to show his support and faith in his current personnel. He's simply saying that competition will be tough for any rookie who comes in, he'll have to earn his spot just like anyone else.[/quote]

Yes, I think that Gibbs was actually saying that when they draft somebody in the first round, they could possibly start in a year.

EARTHQUAKE2689 04-25-2007 10:01 AM

landry okoye adams they would all start even carriker would start from day 1 correction should start

gibbs4life 04-25-2007 10:03 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;301979]I think this article is twisting his words a bit and trying to make a story out of nothing. I don't see where Gibbs directly says that he doubts a draftee could start.

I think more than anything he's trying to show his support and faith in his current personnel. He's simply saying that competition will be tough for any rookie who comes in, he'll have to earn his spot just like anyone else.[/quote]

yeah i saw that in my local paper too they have a way od twisting things don,t they matty
thats the idea i had too looking thru the article on what joe said..

KLHJ2 04-25-2007 10:03 AM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;302006]landry okoye adams they would all start even carriker would start from day 1 correction should start[/quote]

So you would start them right now, even though they haven't even earned a spot on the team yet.

GTripp0012 04-25-2007 11:57 AM

Wow, a rookie not being the best on the team at his position? No way!

SmootSmack 04-25-2007 12:07 PM

They do also have contract negotiations to deal with. The Redskins wouldn't be in a very good position if the player's agent could say "Hey, you said my guy would start from day one. You need him here"

jsarno 04-25-2007 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;301979]I think this article is twisting his words a bit and trying to make a story out of nothing. I don't see where Gibbs directly says that he doubts a draftee could start.

I think more than anything he's trying to show his support and faith in his current personnel. He's simply saying that competition will be tough for any rookie who comes in, he'll have to earn his spot just like anyone else.[/QUOTE]

I don't know matty...this is pretty convincing:

"You'd love to have a guy who can make an immediate impact," Gibbs said. "But to be quite truthful, you look at our football team, where could a player step in here right now and say: 'I'm taking over'? Where is that? That makes us feel good. I don't feel panicked that we have to take any one thing. It's hard to say that somebody would just step into any position right now."

I don't think anything is being twisted. As they point out, we had the worst D in the NFC last year, and won only 5 games yet only adding 2 real good players in Fletcher and Smoot. How would Landry not start? How would a DE (any DE) not start?
I get the point of Gibbs comments in trying to show confidence in his players, but he just showed a lack of confidence to every player that might be drafted for us. If I was, say, Okoye, and I just heard Gibbs say that...I'm wishing and hoping to not be drafted by the Skins. No one wants to ride the pine out of college.

MTK 04-25-2007 12:24 PM

[quote=jsarno;302119]I don't know matty...this is pretty convincing:

"You'd love to have a guy who can make an immediate impact," Gibbs said. "But to be quite truthful, you look at our football team, where could a player step in here right now and say: 'I'm taking over'? Where is that? That makes us feel good. I don't feel panicked that we have to take any one thing. It's hard to say that somebody would just step into any position right now."

I don't think anything is being twisted. As they point out, we had the worst D in the NFC last year, and won only 5 games yet only adding 2 real good players in Fletcher and Smoot. How would Landry not start? How would a DE (any DE) not start?

I get the point of Gibbs comments in trying to show confidence in his players, but he just showed a lack of confidence to every player that might be drafted for us. If I was, say, Okoye, and I just heard Gibbs say that...I'm wishing and hoping to not be drafted by the Skins. No one wants to ride the pine out of college.[/quote]

Again, I don't see where he's saying specifically, I doubt a rookie can come in and start. More than anything he's saying he feels good in the team as is. He's saying they have a lot of options, and whoever comes in will have to earn his spot.

I guess you can take it either way, but I just think the negative slant this writer is trying to give doesn't make much sense.

skinsfan69 04-25-2007 12:48 PM

I listened to the press conference on the Redskins web site. And he basically said that it would be real tough for any player in the draft to come in as a rookie and start. I kind of raised my eye brows a bit cause I could think of several players that could walk in and start at DE, SS, and WR. But he did happen to point out that Goldston and Montgomery were basically living in the weight room, and that those two were "way ahead" of where they were last year. So that was real good to hear.

freddyg12 04-25-2007 12:59 PM

JLC pointed out Gibbs saying this in Skins insider today, but its still no news at all. They have to write something & fans like us are anxious for the draft & will read anything.

I agree w/Matty's take on it. I actually like the way Gibbs phrased it, he's basically setting the tone for camp. I've thought for a no. of years that we've lacked solid competition in camp for roster spots & starting jobs. That happens when you sign a lot of free agents, since it is often too costly to cut them. Gibbs will start a rookie, as will GW, they just want them to be as prepared in the scheme as the vets are.

On a side note, Okoye or any d-linemen I'd say has a greater chance of starting early on than Landry. Safety in GW's d seems to require a bit more tutoring.

jsarno 04-25-2007 01:10 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;302124]Again, I don't see where he's saying specifically, I doubt a rookie can come in and start. More than anything he's saying he feels good in the team as is. He's saying they have a lot of options, and whoever comes in will have to earn his spot.

I guess you can take it either way, but I just think the negative slant this writer is trying to give doesn't make much sense.[/QUOTE]

Well, you have to look at it from their prospective. When someone is up, kick em til they are down...and when someone is down, kick em to keep em down. Negativity sells.

skinsfan69 04-25-2007 01:30 PM

[quote=freddyg12;302157]JLC pointed out Gibbs saying this in Skins insider today, but its still no news at all. They have to write something & fans like us are anxious for the draft & will read anything.

I agree w/Matty's take on it. I actually like the way Gibbs phrased it, he's basically setting the tone for camp. I've thought for a no. of years that we've lacked solid competition in camp for roster spots & starting jobs. That happens when you sign a lot of free agents, since it is often too costly to cut them. Gibbs will start a rookie, as will GW, they just want them to be as prepared in the scheme as the vets are.

On a side note, Okoye or any d-linemen I'd say has a greater chance of starting early on than Landry. Safety in GW's d seems to require a bit more tutoring.[/quote]

So you think Okoye, who is 19 or 20, could walk right in and start over Goldston and Montgomery who have been here in the program for a year? I don't think so. He's going to need a year or two before we becomes a starter. I think someone like Carriker could start right away over Daniels.

GTripp0012 04-25-2007 01:38 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;302187]So you think Okoye, who is 19 or 20, could walk right in and start over Goldston and Montgomery who have been here in the program for a year? I don't think so. He's going to need a year or two before we becomes a starter. I think someone like Carriker could start right away over Daniels.[/quote]Age aside, and yes that counts for something, they've both been well versed in the college ranks. I think they would be equally ready as rookies, but we'd be best off playing the best guy we have for the job, and the smart money says thats not the rookie, no matter how talented he is. Daniels is still servicable at the very least.

dmek25 04-25-2007 01:56 PM

to me it seems like coach Gibbs would be awesome to work for. never publicly bad mouthing anyone, and always saying the right things. this article is a non issue

offiss 04-25-2007 02:10 PM

No way Gibbs could have said anything of the sort! LOL! The GIG team is hard at work with damage control again.

How on earth can anyone say a rookie DL couldn't start over basically nobody? How could someone make an argument to draft one of these DL as most here have been doing for the last 3 months, and then say the guy is to stupid to start his first year? We are talking DL here not QB, not center, and not MLB, these are positions of athletic ablity and power, not brains.

The very fact that Gibbs thinks we are loaded everywhere just shows how dumb he is when it comes to identifying talent. Gibbs has a one track mind rookies can't help so lets sit them regardless of whether they can play or not. Rookies contribute all over the league, other coaches get them prepaired to contribute on playoff caliber teams, but I am to believe we are so good at 5-11 that theres no room for improvment by playing a rookie? 3 months worth of posts on this board of people screaming we can't stop the run, and all of a sudden big time Anthony Montgomery is the answer?

I am curious why anyone would think Gibbs didn't say that? He's pretty much said nothing but with his actions since his return. All he wants to do is bring in veteran talent, he has no desire to have to teach a rookie how to play in the NFL.

GMScud 04-25-2007 02:38 PM

I think QB is the only position where a player taken in the top 5-6 picks shouldn't start right away. It seems kind of contradictory- "we want a perennial pro-bowler," and "whoever we draft most likely won't start." Looking at all positions other than QB, most draft picks taken in the top 5-10 usually start right away. I don't really understand what Gibbs is saying.

MTK 04-25-2007 03:37 PM

[quote=GMScud;302233]I think QB is the only position where a player taken in the top 5-6 picks shouldn't start right away. It seems kind of contradictory- "we want a perennial pro-bowler," and "whoever we draft most likely won't start." Looking at all positions other than QB, most draft picks taken in the top 5-10 usually start right away. I don't really understand what Gibbs is saying.[/quote]

Where does he say 'whoever we draft most likely won't start'??

I'm still trying to figure out where this is coming from. :doh:

MTK 04-25-2007 03:40 PM

Cooley played right away as a rookie, Taylor didn't play right away but he didn't take long to break the starting lineup.

Longtimefan 04-25-2007 03:47 PM

The writer of that article is mainly piggy-backing on the article in todays Wash.Post by JLC. In that article it clearly has Gibbs saying [quote] he does not see any players in this draft who would be automatic starters on the Redskins regardless of position [unquote] It's a statement that sends a very negative message to prospective draft selections, and makes their worth seem deminished. It's obvious Gibbs has a high opinion of his defensive personel that finished next to last in the NFL.

SmootSmack 04-25-2007 04:01 PM

[QUOTE=Washingtonpost.com]"Long term, it's, 'Can this player play for 10 years?' " Gibbs said. "And even though it may be crowded where he initially comes in at a position, if you feel like that long term he's going to be playing here for a long time and has chance to go to Pro Bowls. But I will say this, that doesn't mean he has to do it that first year. Sometimes it's a learning process and sometimes he comes into a position where there's already a lot of talent there.

Gibbs said that he does not see any players in this draft who would be automatic starters on the Redskins, regardless of position, and that the club could still address some needs, such as along the defensive line, on the second day of the draft, citing linemen Kedric Golston and Anthony Montgomery, who were late-round selections last year.[/QUOTE]

Drafted player may start the first year, but there's no guarantee. Looking for a long-term solution, not the quick fix (ironic, I know). Day 1 of the draft is not the only place to address needs.

Seems pretty straight-forward to me

RobH4413 04-25-2007 04:08 PM

I really don't see any significance whatsoever in this article, or any of Joe Gibbs quotes.

Gibbs will play the best player based on how they perform.

There is no gray area here.

MTK 04-25-2007 04:12 PM

I guess it wouldn't be a Redskins offseason without some good old freaking out over every bit of info that comes out of Redskins Park, Pro Football Talk, ESPN, the milk man, and my brother's friend's sister's uncle who saw Chris Samuels eating at the Cheesecake Factory, etc.

MonkFan4Life 04-25-2007 04:18 PM

Since I read the paper today and read the quotes from yesterday I understood what Gibbs was saying. Basically, I'm not getting on my knees praying for anyone to come and save my team ! If we draft you, you aren't any more special than the guys who are already here.

Beautiful hateful rhetoric against the Skins by the author !

SmootSmack 04-25-2007 04:27 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;302269]I guess it wouldn't be a Redskins offseason without some good old freaking out over every bit of info that comes out of Redskins Park, Pro Football Talk, ESPN, the milk man, and my brother's friend's sister's uncle who saw Chris Samuels eating at the Cheesecake Factory, etc.[/QUOTE]

You know what's ironic? I used to see Chris Samuels eating at the Cheesecake Factory all the time (Friendship Heights, for those wondering)

SKINSnCANES 04-25-2007 04:30 PM

Gibbs never starts rookies. Sean Taylor had what, 4 picks and 3 touchdowns in preseaon playing a qtr each game and he didnt start either. Its like he does it on principle to prove a point. It annoys me personally. Like last year, why wasnt McIntosh in earlier in the year?

GMScud 04-25-2007 04:45 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;302256]Where does he say 'whoever we draft most likely won't start'??

I'm still trying to figure out where this is coming from. :doh:[/quote]

From today's article in the [I]Post[/I]:

"Gibbs said that he does not see any players in this draft who would be automatic starters on the Redskins, regardless of position, and that the club could still address some needs, such as along the defensive line, on the second day of the draft, citing linemen Kedric Golston and Anthony Montgomery, who were late-round selections last year..."

It doesn't say they absolutely WON'T start, but it's not a ringing endorsement either. Maybe he's just using that language so no draft pick will get the idea that they won't have to bust their tail to earn a starting spot. I guess I was a little off. But it's not secret Gibbs doesn't like to start rookies.

SKINSnCANES 04-25-2007 04:50 PM

[quote=GMScud;302281]From today's article in the [I]Post[/I]:

"Gibbs said that he does not see any players in this draft who would be automatic starters on the Redskins, regardless of position, and that the club could still address some needs, such as along the defensive line, on the second day of the draft, citing linemen Kedric Golston and Anthony Montgomery, who were late-round selections last year..."

It doesn't say they absolutely WON'T start, but it's not a ringing endorsement either. Maybe he's just using that language so no draft pick will get the idea that they won't have to bust their tail to earn a starting spot. I guess I was a little off. But it's not secret Gibbs doesn't like to start rookies.[/quote]

no coach would come out and say that players in the draft are so much better than whats on his team. if you say that Johnson or peterson, two of the best players in the draft, would start right away, and you dotn get them, how should your current players feel?

Longtimefan 04-25-2007 04:52 PM

If there is no one in this draft the FO feels is good enough to be a starter on this team, then for the #6 pick or it's equivalent we can expect a Rocky McIntosh clone (or two). This undoubtably explains the desire to trade down out of the #6 spot, not so much for quantity, but because in their estimation there's no one of quality worthy.

GMScud 04-25-2007 04:57 PM

[quote=SKINSnCANES;302284]no coach would come out and say that players in the draft are so much better than whats on his team. if you say that Johnson or peterson, two of the best players in the draft, would start right away, and you dotn get them, how should your current players feel?[/quote]

I agree. That's why I said he was probably just using that language to send the message to whomever gets drafted that everything is earned around here, not given. Like I said, I was off in my initial post on this thread.

SKINSnCANES 04-25-2007 05:09 PM

[quote=GMScud;302292]I agree. That's why I said he was probably just using that language to send the message to whomever gets drafted that everything is earned around here, not given. Like I said, I was off in my initial post on this thread.[/quote]

what gibbs should have said is "Man, ya know its tough being in my shoes. Then bring me in here to turn this team around, bring Jesus into the club house, and look what I go and do. We cant sack the QB to save our lives. But ya know, that might be becasue we leave the receivers so wide open without safety help on Archs side that they get the ball to them so darn quick. So you ask me, do I think any rookie could start for me? well hell yea. We're in talks with everyteam that has a first round pick. We are considering giving each team all 7 of our picks the a certain year. So the raiders would get all of our picks in 2007 for the 1st, Lions all our picks in 2008 for the 2nd, and so on. But we realized that wasnt possible, so we figured we would just give our picks for guys that we arent goign to start. What difference does it make if I draft a guy and dont play him, or if I trade the pick to Atlanta and dont play that player either? I think the draft is silly, no good Christian would try and pick human beings over another human being like it was an auction."

yea yea, i might have taken that to far, but its time to elave work and Im bored.

GMScud 04-25-2007 07:34 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;302256]Where does he say 'whoever we draft most likely won't start'??

I'm still trying to figure out where this is coming from. :doh:[/quote]

JLC also talked about it on his blog today on RedskinsInsider.
I clipped this (It's not the whole column):

[FONT=Times New Roman,times,serif]"Was wondering what you guys thought of the idea posited by the Skins on Tuesday that there was probably no one in the draft who could earn a starting job on their roster out of training camp.
Have to say that while I am all for a bit of gamesmanship this time of year, and like we addressed yesterday, we fully understand that teams are going to make statements of varying degrees of legitimacy before the draft - and that's all well and good ... but this one immediately raised my eyebrows..."
[/FONT]

skinsfan69 04-25-2007 09:56 PM

Also in this press conference Dan S. mentioned that Brandon Lloyd is working out real hard in Arizona and he was in the best shpae of his life. He said that he was proud of LLoyd.

MTK 04-26-2007 03:42 PM

[quote=GMScud;302281]From today's article in the [I]Post[/I]:

It doesn't say they absolutely WON'T start, but it's not a ringing endorsement either. Maybe he's just using that language so no draft pick will get the idea that they won't have to bust their tail to earn a starting spot. I guess I was a little off. But it's not secret Gibbs doesn't like to start rookies.[/quote]

Regardless, I wouldn't read too deep in to what he said.

GMScud 04-26-2007 03:47 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;302843]Regardless, I wouldn't read too deep in to what he said.[/quote]

Unfortunately the offseason doldrums have left me with nothing better to do than dissect every little peep out of the Redskins. Saturday is so close....

hooskins 04-26-2007 03:51 PM

Gibbs usually says a lot of things to throw the media in different directions. He says those things so he wont be held accountable later for a sudden change that he might have not mentioned before. Dont read into what he says too much.

themightyjoegibbs 04-26-2007 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfan69;302367]Also in this press conference Dan S. mentioned that Brandon Lloyd is working out real hard in Arizona and he was in the best shpae of his life. He said that he was proud of LLoyd.[/QUOTE]

Danny is about as honest and trustworthy as the Devil.....

In place of big FA signings and false hope in that regards it has been substituted for useless jargon about the most useless current player. If Archulleta was still here we would here more about how he trains lifting broken cars and his unusual work out regimine. So really what we are hearing is simply a business ploy to retain our interest, keeping potential money in the org. Probably b/c he got a deal on B.Lloyd jerseys and needs to flip them before we dump him next year. Trust me this is a business and he runs it better than any franchise in the world. Every year is a new song and dance.

I don't like hearing a business man talk about the players. Has Danny ever earned faith. Why should we care if he made the owner proud.

Can we impeach our owner?? Doesn't 6 flags need his dedication??

SBXVII 04-26-2007 07:12 PM

We all know what he meant to say. It took almost the whole year for the Offense to understand, click, and buy into Saunders 500 page play book. Do you think some rookie will be able to digest it quicker and be an impact player come day one. maybe some plays will be given to a rookie but they will not be a huge impact. How about Defense then....We all know (and love)GW...he never puts a rookie in for atleast half the season.