Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Briggs brings questions about LBs (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=18027)

BeastsoftheNFCeast 04-27-2007 09:18 AM

Briggs brings questions about LBs

If we do trade for Briggs, many questions pop up. The first one obviously is why? It seems that we have our LB's in place with Washington, Fletcher, and McIntosh starting and having Marshall as a quality backup. I think the Skins might be concerned about the health of some LBs with Fletcher being old, and McIntosh and Washington coming off surgery last year. The next question is what position will each LB play in the future? We refused to give up McIntosh so he is obviously in our long term plan, but yet Briggs is also in the long term plan due to his enormous contract. Why would we want two starting WLB(also Marshall might be starting caliber WLB)? Is Briggs possibly going to be our SLB when Washington is gone? I think Briggs will not play it this upcoming year because Washington will and if we were planning to get rid of Washington, he would be in the Briggs trade. And this upcoming year, how will McIntosh get his playing time in over Briggs? I mean I wouldnt want to pay Briggs that much money and not expect him to play every down. Basically, it raises many questions about the state of Washington and McIntosh and their futures with the club, and it also raises questions about what the role of Briggs and the rest of our LBs will be.

Schneed10 04-27-2007 09:22 AM

Re: Briggs brings questions about LBs

This is the whole reason I would frown at the Briggs deal. Unless we can get the 31st pick and the Bears' 3rd rounder in addition to Briggs, I don't think this move would address our needs very well.

This whole move reeks of the team going overkill on the LB position just as we went overkill on the WR position last season.

Big C 04-27-2007 09:47 AM

maybe washington's injury/surgery will have a bigger effect than we all anticipated, and maybe more severe than we anticipated. either way, if we bring briggs in i still think rocky will see a lot of playing time, i think we would rotate to keep all the backers fresh

Longtimefan 04-27-2007 11:04 AM

I think the Beast actually answered his own questions in regards to the state of the LB situation. The team is obviously concerned about the health of both Washington and McIntosh. In the case of Mcntosh, untold stories, and more to his situation than meets the eye.

BeastsoftheNFCeast 04-27-2007 11:23 AM

I know that were probably concerned about the health of our LBs, but when bringing in insurance, you dont pay 7 mil a year. There has to be more to this than just concern about health. Otherwise we would trade whoever we are concerned about.

Longtimefan 04-27-2007 12:01 PM

[QUOTE=BeastsoftheNFCeast;303291]I know that were probably concerned about the health of our LBs, but when bringing in insurance, you dont pay 7 mil a year. There has to be more to this than just concern about health. Otherwise we would trade whoever we are concerned about.[/QUOTE]

Health is a "major" concern, I can't think of one greater. It's rather difficult to think about trading a 30+ yr. old LB coming off major hip surgery. I will agree however that there is more to the teams interest in Briggs, and I think Gibbs, Snyder & Cerrato did their best to make it know in their pre-draft presser.

Hog1 04-27-2007 12:53 PM

Somebody on the "Bram" show on XXX brought up a interesting point. Maybe the focus on the linebackers (and not lineman) is to pick up Briggs, go to a 3/4 D?

dmek25 04-27-2007 01:19 PM

if the skins run a base 3-4, Greg Williams could go back to blitzing from every where. i just don't see any of the d linemen big enough to be a nose tackle. i know, Shawn Springs can switch positions(j/k)

BeastsoftheNFCeast 04-27-2007 01:28 PM

The only way I can see us running a 3-4 (which I dont because Williams doesnt like to change schemes) is if we somehow miraculously draft branch after we trade for briggs. Washington would be ideal for a 3-4, Fletcher and Marshall would be good on the inside, and Briggs might be OK. I dont see Rocky fitting into that system, and Carter would have to switch to OLB because he cannot be a DE in a 3-4. Golston would be a good 3-4 DE, but I dont see anyone else being able to be DE. We would still have too many LB's due to Carter switching to OLB.

SmootSmack 04-27-2007 01:51 PM

[QUOTE=Hog1;303337]Somebody on the "Bram" show on XXX brought up a interesting point. Maybe the focus on the linebackers (and not lineman) is to pick up Briggs, go to a 3/4 D?[/QUOTE]

What I thought was interesting was this mention in the Washington Post article today:

"The Redskins are adopting many aspects of the Bears' defense this season, however, according to sources, and on their internal scouting reports they highly value Briggs's ability to thrive in downfield pass-defense coverage."

Adopting many aspects? What does that mean exactly?

drew54 04-27-2007 02:08 PM

[QUOTE=Hog1;303337]Somebody on the "Bram" show on XXX brought up a interesting point. Maybe the focus on the linebackers (and not lineman) is to pick up Briggs, go to a 3/4 D?[/QUOTE]

I have been wondering this myself. It is harder to great Linemen and easier to great LBs.

over the mountain 04-27-2007 02:18 PM

i think briggs is an upgrade over marcus, i like the guy hes our best LB but he doesnt put up big numbers or really impact or make a difference in our games (can you name 1 play last year that he did that changed momentum?) . . .my brother says its b/c he gets doubleteamed, teams design around him but i dont buy it . . hes good but not great and if he is our clear cut best LB (excluding what fletcher can do for a year or 2) then we need an playmaker at LB, with briggs you get a high motor young proven LB and still get to draft a DL (picked at 6 or 31 he still isnt going to see the field much this year) . . . plus we are still adding pieces and are a year or 2 away from superbowl glory so we have time to add a big name DL FA next offseason . . . okoye or landry arent going to be a difference maker in games next year, im all for trading back a few and grabbing either one but i see the briggs trade as a better situation then drafting at 6

TenandSix:Unacceptable 04-27-2007 05:32 PM

The speculation ends tomorrow at the latest.

4mrusmc 04-27-2007 08:15 PM

[quote=TenandSix:Unacceptable;303428]The speculation ends tomorrow at the latest.[/quote]

Yeah, let's just hope that we are in the cat-bird seat for this draft.

Master4Caster 04-27-2007 10:10 PM

If they pull the trigger on Briggs, that means there's something they know that we don't. It could be a health issue for one of our guys, or a different defensive scheme. The JLC's article had a real brief reference to Gregg Williams and a move to a Chicago style defense.