Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   News of the AXE possibly droppin on VINNY. (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=18028)

skinsfan_nn 04-27-2007 09:44 AM

News of the AXE possibly droppin on VINNY.

[LEFT][B][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#b40707]POSTED 9:28 a.m. EDT, April 27, 2007[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]VINNY TWISTING IN THE WIND?[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]We reported several weeks ago that big changes could be coming to the Redskins front office after the draft, but there were no specifics as to who might stay and who might go.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]The current scuttlebutt in league circles is that V.P. of football operations Vinny Cerrato could be out as soon as right after the draft, and as late as the end of the season -- if the team doesn't win at least 10 games in 2007.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]Cerrato was fired by the Redskins during the Marty Schottenheimer era, but was brought back by owner Daniel Snyder after Schottenheimer was cut loose after only one season.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]Some league insiders thought that current coach Joe Gibbs would have run Cerrato off by now, but Vinny has made it through three seasons under the Hall-of-Famer. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]Frankly, we're not sure why Cerrato should be held accountable for anything, since the widespread belief is that Snyder and Gibbs are the ones calling the shots. [/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]

TheMalcolmConnection 04-27-2007 09:45 AM

Re: News of the AXE possibly droppin on VINNY.

And Redskins fans across the world would all be showing their "O" face... :doh:

skinsfan_nn 04-27-2007 09:45 AM

Source:
[url=http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm]ProFootballTalk.com -- The Best Pro Football Scoop on the Internet[/url]

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 04-27-2007 09:52 AM

Just remember, it's profootballtalk. They "reported" a long time ago that the entire scouting department was going to get the ax. Now they are "reporting" that just Vinny[I] might[/I] get the ax after the draft....or at the end of the season. Why don't they just say he's definately going to leave the Redskins front office.....within the next 10 years?

Their predictions and "inside stories" generally suck.

SmootSmack 04-27-2007 09:52 AM

[url=http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/NFL_Czar/2007/04/24/Moss_may_matter_in_this_draft]Moss may matter in this draft • NFL_Czar's Blog - FOX Sports Blogs[/url]

The rumor has been circulating for more than a month now that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder plans to hire a new personnel director to work with head coach Joe Gibbs after the draft. Bobby DePaul, Jerry Angelo’s right-hand man in Chicago, has been mentioned the most because he and Gibbs are friendly and could work together.

mredskins 04-27-2007 10:04 AM

Why would you fire him after the draft?? Won't yo uwant the new person help in the most important day of their job, the draft. Makes no sense.

skinsfan69 04-27-2007 10:13 AM

Probably not going to happen.

irish 04-27-2007 10:17 AM

Vinny is only one piece of a disfunctional organization.

skinsfan_nn 04-27-2007 10:17 AM

If it's post draft we'll know pretty soon. If it's after the season ends, we'll find out next year after we WIN THE SUPERBOWL! :)

GhettoDogAllStars 04-27-2007 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=mredskins;303268]Why would you fire him after the draft?? Won't yo uwant the new person help in the most important day of their job, the draft. Makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

I think they'd wait until after the draft, because we probably wouldn't want somebody dictating our draft, who just arrived and has little knowledge about our team.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 04-27-2007 10:34 AM

[QUOTE=mredskins;303268]Why would you fire him after the draft?? Won't yo uwant the new person help in the most important day of their job, the draft. Makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

I think the idea is, "don't change horses midstream....even if your horse is a total SPED."

FRPLG 04-27-2007 11:15 AM

[QUOTE=GhettoDogAllStars;303275]I think they'd wait until after the draft, because we probably wouldn't want somebody dictating our draft, who just arrived and has little knowledge about our team.[/QUOTE]

For several reasons.

-Vinny's main job is to coordinate scouting. To get rid of him within even 2 or 3 months of the draft would be dumb since he is the one who created the scouting procedures and such. You sorta have to ride that horse out the barn or throw everything away and start over. That close to the draft you might as well pack it in if you fire your lead guy. Houstion did the same thing last year with Casserly. Hell everyone knew he was gone after the draft but they kept him on just for the draft.

-If you fire Vinny before the draft my guess would there'd be a bidding war between Philly,Dallas and NYG to get him to come in as a "consultant". He would basically consult as to our draft strategies and so forth. That would be dumb of us to let someone go so close to draft who has such vital information.

That secod reason is why teams generally don't rid themselves of personell people until immediately after the draft or immediately after the season. Any other time and they have gained too much info to be let go.

dmek25 04-27-2007 01:25 PM

i think every redskin fan is just plain jealous of Vinny. the guy gets to fly around with Snyder in his private jet, hang out with the players, and get paid to boot. not a bad job, eh?

JankySpanky80 04-27-2007 01:31 PM

Somebody has to take the blame and the Danny sure as hell isn't gonna take it. Gibbs, no i don't think a hall of fame coach will get it either. So Vinny gets his head chopped off.

Beer is Food 04-27-2007 01:56 PM

Vinny evaluates the talent. If the talent isn't what he says is it is- he's accountable.

skinsfan_nn 04-27-2007 02:02 PM

[quote=FRPLG;303287]For several reasons.

-Vinny's main job is to coordinate scouting. To get rid of him within even 2 or 3 months of the draft would be dumb since he is the one who created the scouting procedures and such. You sorta have to ride that horse out the barn or throw everything away and start over. That close to the draft you might as well pack it in if you fire your lead guy. Houstion did the same thing last year with Casserly. Hell everyone knew he was gone after the draft but they kept him on just for the draft.

-If you fire Vinny before the draft my guess would there'd be a bidding war between Philly,Dallas and NYG to get him to come in as a "consultant". He would basically consult as to our draft strategies and so forth. That would be dumb of us to let someone go so close to draft who has such vital information.

That secod reason is why teams generally don't rid themselves of personell people until immediately after the draft or immediately after the season. Any other time and they have gained too much info to be let go.[/quote]

And Yes you are correct!

Rajmahal33 04-27-2007 04:00 PM

I for one am glad if it happens at all. With the way things have gone he seems to be attached at the hip with Snyder. Vinny is a scapegoat is some ways but mostly he brought this on himself. He needs to go PERIOD

GMScud 04-27-2007 06:21 PM

Whenever other GMs and FO people around the league are asked about the Redskins FO, they always rip us (under condition of anonymity of course). They all wonder WTF we are doing. The consensus among other FO types around the league is that we are kind of joke. Vinny is a big reason for that. A few of my best friends are Eagles and Giants fans, and whenever they rag on me the first thing they pick at is our joke FO. I'm tired of it. Every team in the NFL uses a GM except the Redskins. The most successful teams in the league have great GMs (Indy, NE, Chi, SD, etc). We haven't won diddly poo since we stopped using a GM. Seems pretty obvious to me what the solution is. I wish Floyd Reese would leave that cushy desk at ESPN and come help us.

skinsfan_nn 04-27-2007 06:35 PM

[quote=GMScud;303440]Whenever other GMs and FO people around the league are asked about the Redskins FO, they always rip us (under condition of anonymity of course). They all wonder WTF we are doing. The consensus among other FO types around the league is that we are kind of joke. Vinny is a big reason for that. A few of my best friends are Eagles and Giants fans, and whenever they rag on me the first thing they pick at is our joke FO. I'm tired of it. Every team in the NFL uses a GM except the Redskins. The most successful teams in the league have great GMs (Indy, NE, Chi, SD, etc). We haven't won diddly poo since we stopped using a GM. Seems pretty obvious to me what the solution is. I wish Floyd Reese would leave that cushy desk at ESPN and come help us.[/quote]

Now,now......don't forget so quickly about 2005, pretty damn good year.
I'm certainly not a fan of Reese cup/ The Pacman recruiter, but he did ok with some of his work with the Titans.
But we could use a strong personnel/GM leader to work WITH Joe and Danny Boy.

GMScud 04-27-2007 06:55 PM

[quote=skinsfan_nn;303445]Now,now......don't forget so quickly about 2005, pretty damn good year.
I'm certainly not a fan of Reese cup/ The Pacman recruiter, but he did ok with some of his work with the Titans.
But we could use a strong personnel/GM leader to work WITH Joe and Danny Boy.[/quote]

2005 was one year. It was great, don't get me wrong, but I don't think anyone is satisfied with the Redskins during the Danny regime. Sure Floyd Reese drafted Pacman. One blemish. He was known as one the best GMs in the league during his tenure with the Titans/Oilers.

He also drafted:
Vince Young, Bo Scaife, Reynaldo Hill, Ben Troupe, Andre Woolfork, Tyrone Calico, Tank Williams, Rocky Boiman, Andre Dyson, Keith Bulluck, Jevon Kearse, Samari Rolle, Derrick Mason, Joe Salave'a, Eddie George, Steve McNair...

He's a better personnel guy than anyone currently working at Redskins Park.

FRPLG 04-27-2007 08:42 PM

[QUOTE=GMScud;303440]Whenever other GMs and FO people around the league are asked about the Redskins FO, they always rip us (under condition of anonymity of course). They all wonder WTF we are doing. The consensus among other FO types around the league is that we are kind of joke. Vinny is a big reason for that. A few of my best friends are Eagles and Giants fans, and whenever they rag on me the first thing they pick at is our joke FO. I'm tired of it. Every team in the NFL uses a GM except the Redskins. The most successful teams in the league have great GMs (Indy, NE, Chi, SD, etc). We haven't won diddly poo since we stopped using a GM. Seems pretty obvious to me what the solution is. I wish Floyd Reese would leave that cushy desk at ESPN and come help us.[/QUOTE]

While I agree somewhat with the basic ideas here I will let you know that not "every team" has a GM.

skinsfan_nn 04-27-2007 08:50 PM

[quote=FRPLG;303473]While I agree somewhat with the basic ideas here I will let you know that not "every team" has a GM.[/quote]

This is true! By the way gmscud our BEST personnel guy is the HEAD COACH!

GMScud 04-27-2007 08:52 PM

[quote=FRPLG;303473]While I agree somewhat with the basic ideas here I will let you know that not "every team" has a GM.[/quote]

I know a few teams have a head coach who also acts as a GM, and I know Jerry Jones is owner/GM for Dallas, but I wasn't aware that any teams other than the Skins flat out did not have a GM position.

GMScud 04-27-2007 08:53 PM

[quote=skinsfan_nn;303477]This is true! By the way gmscud our BEST personnel guy is the HEAD COACH![/quote]

Is Gibbs really that great of a personnel guy? The jury I think is still out on that one. Beathard made those moves for him back in the day.

Master4Caster 04-27-2007 10:03 PM

[quote=skinsfan_nn;303272]If it's post draft we'll know pretty soon. If it's after the season ends, we'll find out next year after we WIN THE SUPERBOWL! :)[/quote]

If we win the Super Bowl, wouldn't that mean Vinnie stays?

Pocket$ $traight 04-27-2007 10:33 PM

I hope that it happens.

jsarno 04-28-2007 12:51 AM

I agree...if you're going to do it, why give him another draft to "prove" himself. If he's bad, that means this draft is going to be bad. Given that we have only 1 impact pick, he can't really do much anyway. Is this the Skins way of trying to gently let us know that changes are coming if we don't win?

CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR 04-28-2007 10:06 AM

Lets pray and hope so this nightmare been going on for two long.

vaoutlaws2006 04-28-2007 10:31 AM

[quote=irish;303271]Vinny is only one piece of a disfunctional organization.[/quote]

well put. it would be a start but a little late dont you think? im not holding my breath on this one.

CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR 04-28-2007 10:40 AM

unfortually the only superbowl we will win is when we all play playstation.

SmootSmack 04-29-2007 10:23 AM

[QUOTE=GMScud;303440]Whenever other GMs and FO people around the league are asked about the Redskins FO, they always rip us (under condition of anonymity of course). They all wonder WTF we are doing. The consensus among other FO types around the league is that we are kind of joke. Vinny is a big reason for that. A few of my best friends are Eagles and Giants fans, and whenever they rag on me the first thing they pick at is our joke FO. I'm tired of it. Every team in the NFL uses a GM except the Redskins. The most successful teams in the league have great GMs (Indy, NE, Chi, SD, etc). We haven't won diddly poo since we stopped using a GM. Seems pretty obvious to me what the solution is. I wish Floyd Reese would leave that cushy desk at ESPN and come help us.[/QUOTE]

Tell your Eagles friends to **** off because they don't know shit. Andy Reid has been serving as the de facto General Manager of the team for 6 years. Only last year did they "promote" Tom Eckert (sp?) to General Manager but it's more of a nominal role than anything else. Before that they were just like the Redskins in their decision making process

skinsfan_nn 04-29-2007 10:35 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;304063]Tell your Eagles friends to **** off because they don't know shit. Andy Reid has been serving as the de facto General Manager of the team for 6 years. Only last year did they "promote" Tom Eckert (sp?) to General Manager but it's more of a nominal role than anything else. Before that they were just like the Redskins in their decision making process[/quote]

Tell your Eagles friends to **** off because they don't know shit..........
That's the correct answer smoot.

Dirtbag59 04-29-2007 02:22 PM

When I think of Pro Football talk I see a guy in his unfinished basement wearing nothing but boxers and a wife beater to contain his bear gut.

hooskins 04-29-2007 02:23 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;303252]And Redskins fans across the world would all be showing their "O" face... :doh:[/quote]

O..O...you know what im saying...Ohhh

CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR 04-29-2007 07:22 PM

I guess draft is Vinny way of giving us the big FU lol

hooskins 04-29-2007 07:23 PM

[quote=CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR;304456]I guess draft is Vinny way of giving us the big FU lol[/quote]

dude seriously...stop...

skinsfan_nn 04-29-2007 07:27 PM

[quote=hooskins;304457]dude seriously...stop...[/quote]
Some folks just don't know when to stop, it's unfortunate. It's gonna be a GREAT season! Can't wait.

over the mountain 05-08-2007 03:58 PM

bumping this thread . . . wondering when these (imo needed) changes will happen. vinny has got to go, gray, blache (hes already been released i think) should be gone too . .

any thoughts of who should be gone and possible replacements?

12thMan 05-08-2007 04:04 PM

[quote=over the mountain;308323]bumping this thread . . . wondering when these (imo needed) changes will happen. vinny has got to go, gray, blache (hes already been released i think) should be gone too . .

any thoughts of who should be gone and possible replacements?[/quote]

Wha? Blache is going nowhere. Steve Jackson is gone. Gray will be here at least another year. I would think he's coaching for his job this year.

It's probably worth adding, while I don't think GW will be going anywhere anytime soon, he could be possibly be auditioning for a job this year too.

over the mountain 05-08-2007 06:21 PM

well dale lindsey must have been the one to get axed, my bad its the offseason for the fans too!!

but why would you want to keep gray around?