Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Watching 'Skins Games While Away from D.C. (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=1807)

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 07-20-2004 02:10 PM

Watching 'Skins Games While Away from D.C.

This is a serious problem. I'm moving to Madison, WI for law school in a few weeks and I can't figure out how to watch 'Skins games other than finding a bar that plays them, or ordering DirectTV.

I've heard that DirectTV has so many problems and would like to avoid that route. Is there anything via cable or online that would allow me to see such games?

skins009 07-20-2004 02:18 PM

Most cable companies usually have something called NFL sunday Tickets, or something like that. That should get you acess to all the games.

MTK 07-20-2004 02:21 PM

It's either directv or a sports bar, NFL sunday ticket isn't available on cable.... yet.

That Guy 07-20-2004 02:22 PM

there might be a digital cable package, but I haven't heard of one... if you get field pass from nfl.com you can watch all sorts of highlights, but the nfl doesn't stream games over the net and I haven't heard of any local stations deciding to do that (as the nfl probably wouldn't like it)...

so, unless i'm way off, the two real concrete options are sports bars and diretcTV, whether you like them or not.

Dave Butz Baby! 07-20-2004 02:41 PM

Matty and That Guy are right. NFL has an exclusive contract with DirectTV for the Sunday Ticket, which I don't think ends until 2006, so you won't find that service on any cable system.

So unfortunately RamseyFan, looks like these are your options...

Get the DTV dish (and kept the snow swept off of it).
Go find a 'Skins bar (and pray your liver doesn't turn black).

Or hope they play the Packers every week!

;)

Good luck to ya in law school!

cpayne5 07-20-2004 03:32 PM

If I were in your position, I'd get the dish. I think that if it is properly installed, and you have a good, unobstructed shot to the satellite, it will work well for you. I know people that swear by the Sunday Ticket package - they absolutely love it.

saden1 07-20-2004 03:38 PM

I found myself a very nice Redskins sports bar in Washington State through this [URL=http://www.haruth.com/WRRemoteAreas.html]site[/URL]. It will be an [URL=http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?ed=xTowJeV.wimQQVd6MsEKU7USFw--&csz=Madison%2C+WI&country=us&tcsz=Milwaukee%2C+WI&tcountry=us]80 mile[/URL] trip if you can't find any place closer :lol:

p.s. Some of the guys at the bar go to and I are planing to go to the San. Fran. game in December.

RedskinRat 07-20-2004 03:54 PM

Get DirecTV, worth every penny.

Carnage 07-20-2004 03:58 PM

Yeah, you can't get out of a sports bar without paying at least 20 bucks during the course of a game. I actually think it is cheaper to get the package.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 07-20-2004 04:02 PM

Thanks everyone.

RedskinRat, unfortunately I can't listen to your advice since you live in L.A. where it isn't exactly every day that you have snow messing with your dish.

I think the apartment complex that I am going to live in has a big dish on top of one of the buildings and so my dish reception might be better.

MTK 07-20-2004 04:21 PM

If I could get a dish I definitely would, just can't do it where I live, no view to the south from my deck and I can't put in on the roof at my complex.

Dave Butz Baby! 07-20-2004 04:42 PM

[QUOTE=Carnage]Yeah, you can't get out of a sports bar without paying at least 20 bucks during the course of a game. I actually think it is cheaper to get the package.[/QUOTE]

$20?!?!?! Man... I'm going to the wrong joints. For a three and a half hour football game, I'm killing an easy $75.

At that point, it is much easier to get the package!

redskinsskickazz 07-20-2004 04:54 PM

i live in new england and we have had a lot of snow the last couple of years and never once have i ever had to clear snow off of my dish it it slides right off without any signal loss what can happen is during a very heavy downpour you can lose your signal but it usually only lasts about five minutes or so. ive never lost my signal during a skins game and the picture is so much better than cable every channel is digital its cheaper and you get more channels i used to lose my cable more than i lose my direct tv i originally bought direct tv just for nfl sunday ticket but now i would never go back for any reason lastly the instillation is simple you call direct tv and they send someone out and its usually free depending on wether your a new customer or the package you get. they aim the dish run the wires do everything you just kick back and watch trust me you wont regret it.

RedskinRat 07-20-2004 07:23 PM

Ramseyfan, we've had rain here. A few months back I almost had to use my windshield wipers twice in one month.

Snow......That's the white, fluffy stuff, right?

SKINSnCANES 07-20-2004 10:59 PM

what problems were you referring to with direct tv. I think that NFL sunday ticket was a gift from teh Gods the last two seasons i had it. Sundays were all I could wait for. Every commerical id be watching a different game. THe skins game would finish then id switch to a game with 2 minutes left,game tied. Itd go to over time then another game would be doing the same things. It was awesome.

NY_Skinsfan 07-20-2004 10:59 PM

Matty, I was hoping you had a dish...Now what am I going to do?

I guess I will have to convince my neighbor to buy NFL Sunday Ticket so we can see the games...oh, and the brand new 42" plasma that we installed in his family room will make it all the better.

MTK 07-21-2004 12:07 AM

I go to the Arc in Watervliet, it kinda looks like a dump on the outside but inside it's pretty cool. There are TV's at every table, pretty good food too.

NY_Skinsfan 07-21-2004 12:28 AM

If the wings are good, I'll be there.

Paintrain 07-21-2004 08:29 AM

DirecTv is the way to go.. I live for Sunday Ticket plus you get the NFL Network as part of their basic package, can't beat it..

Tahoe Skin 07-21-2004 10:23 AM

DirecTV

I'm a die hard Skins fan living in the Lake Tahoe area. I have had DirecTV for several years just so I can watch the Skins, and have had no problem. I even have an extra dish for my RV. This year they will be starting to show all the preseason fans, which I couldn't get in prior years.

Skins fan 44 07-21-2004 11:35 AM

This is the time of year to get it too. They have the special where if you get Sunday ticket all the channels are free, except Spice and Playboy. Sorry. I probably will be getting it in a month or two.

celts32 07-21-2004 11:39 AM

Direct TV is the greatest invention in the history of the world. The ONLY problems with Direct TV is that I have to get up and leave it every day to come to work! If my satelite dish did not need to point to the southwestern sky I would have set it up in my bed so I could sleep with it every night! I would rather my wife sleep up on the roof! Problems with Direct TV? That's the most rediculous thing I have ever heard...

Redskins_P 07-21-2004 12:00 PM

I haven't heard too many good reviews about Direct TV. If it rains forget about it...

MTK 07-21-2004 12:15 PM

The whole thing about the rain hurting the reception is something that's been blown way out of proportion, probably by the cable companies in an attempt to sway viewers away. Much like the anti-satellite radio ads you hear on the radio now, it's just propoganda.

I've know quite a few people who have directv and they swear by it and have had minimal problems.

celts32 07-21-2004 12:27 PM

I watch Direct TV in the rain all the time! that is such a crock of cable company crap...It may go out for a minute in a real real heavy thunderstorm storm. It never goes out for extended periods of time, ever. Even cable goes out briefly form time to time. The most important thing is that it is installed in a spot where it has a clear view of the southern sky. A poor instalation job will make the signal not as strong as it should be which could lead to reception problems. But saying that Direct TV does not work in the rain is just absolutely false...

Dana87 07-21-2004 02:15 PM

I live in Florida and I swear by NFL Sunday Ticket. You get to watch all 16 Regular season games for just 149.00. You don't get preseason, but fortunatly The Redskins are playing at Miami August 21st so I have Tickets. If anyone is interested I have extra tickets for this game just email me and let me know they start at only $30 each.

Dana87 07-21-2004 02:16 PM

Thats [email]Dana87@aol.com[/email] Sorry.

Hogskin 07-21-2004 03:49 PM

DTV is GREAT!!! I moved to Alabama at the end of 1991 after 50 years in the D.C. area. I missed the hell out of the Redskin games. When DTV first offered NFL Sunday Ticket (1995?), I immediately got it. I have never missed a regular season Redskin game since. Plus, I watch MANY other Sunday games LOL. (Kathi goes shopping while I watch football all day, so it may be as expensive as the sports bar option.) But I have never had a problem getting all of the games with DTV.

CrazyCanuck 07-21-2004 03:55 PM

Up here in the Great White North there is only 1 way to see the Skins every week - DirectTV. Of course DTV isn't "available" in Canada. Many Canadians were still hooked up but recently DTV cracked down on "illegal" subscriptions and everyone here has been wiped out for the last few months.

As you can imagine it is getting close to crunch time. If I don't get my dish back up soon there's gonna be trouble. I might have to commute to JoeCrisp's house every week. As George Costanza said "I mean it. I'll do it!"

I think it's time for Snyder to launch the 24-hr Skins network. I don't care what it costs - I'll pay.

That Guy 07-21-2004 06:32 PM

my uncle who lives in canada doesn't have a neighbor closer than 120 miles from him, so... if you want pirate cable, just head north... way, way north. No one will bother you there. I promise.

SmootSmack 07-21-2004 06:43 PM

[QUOTE=That Guy]my uncle who lives in canada doesn't have a neighbor closer than 120 miles from him, so... if you want pirate cable, just head north... way, way north. No one will bother you there. I promise.[/QUOTE]

Where in Canada? I have an uncle who lives in Ft. McMurray, Alberta, which is like Santa's backyard basically

That Guy 07-21-2004 08:12 PM

lake victoria? its above seattle, but its really more W coast canada than the great white north... they do spend 6 months snowed in... generate there own hydro power, etc... (cattle traders, horse trainers, and in the summer they're a stop that board tourists that do some kind of boat trip)

sorry i'm not more up on my canadian geography.

Riggo44 07-21-2004 08:57 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]It's either directv or a sports bar, NFL sunday ticket isn't available on cable.... yet.[/QUOTE]
Sad but true!!! :(

crlesh 07-22-2004 02:07 PM

Question:
How does DTV handle local market games? Do blackouts apply? Does sattelite offer a package with local channels (which broadcast the non-national games)?

I guess I'm asking if, as a D.C. Metro-area resident, is there ever a time I wouldn't get to see a Skins game if I bought DTV?

kingerock 07-22-2004 04:53 PM

If the game doesn't sell out, of course, and you're 'in range' then you get the blackout. According to their website.

I have DTV NFL ticket, and it's worth every penny and then some. I live 2 hours south of Dallas and get to see the Skins on local TV if they are playing the Cowboys or have an evening game. I saw the Skins last season every week AND this season with NFL network they are showing every preseason game, so I'll see my Skins play 5 preseason and 16 regular season games, plus 3 playoff games and the superbowl! can't wait!!!

BleedBurgundy 07-23-2004 08:20 PM

[QUOTE=kingerock]I'll see my Skins play 5 preseason and 16 regular season games, plus 3 playoff games and the superbowl! can't wait!!![/QUOTE]

That's the spirit, man. :httr: