Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Let's impeach the president. (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=18404)

Crazyhorse1 05-29-2007 01:19 AM

Let's impeach the president.

Bush is currently denouncing Iran for detaining five people without charges. The guy's a moronic laugh riot! Of course, he would never do such an un-American thing to innocent people. Ooops. My bad!

SmootSmack 05-29-2007 01:26 AM

Re: Let's impeach the president.

Can't wait to see how quickly this thread spirals down into hell

RobH4413 05-29-2007 01:43 AM

This is retarded.

GTripp0012 05-29-2007 01:54 AM

For those of you who didn't learn it in middle school, impeachment is a tag only used in the ruling of criminial cases against the president. That means he actually has to do something against the law. Gross incompetance is not against the law (as this thread will soon prove).

saden1 05-29-2007 01:54 AM

It's easy to blame everything on the president but the fact of the matter is the people elected him and the people elected members of congress who are suppose to have oversight. Frankly, the people in congress who vote for his proposals worry me more than anything else. And of course who can forget the American people. There are a lot of Americans out there that scare the hell out of me.

dblanch66 05-29-2007 02:20 AM

[QUOTE=GTripp0012;313787]For those of you who didn't learn it in middle school, impeachment is a tag only used in the ruling of criminial cases against the president. That means he actually has to do something against the law. Gross incompetance is not against the law (as this thread will soon prove).[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that starting a war over a lie IS against the law, though. But...I could be wrong.

70Chip 05-29-2007 03:07 AM

The Democrats could end this war tomorrow by cutting off the money. They won't, though, because it's good politics for them. They need the war to go on through next fall. They won't impeach the President for the same reason. Their plan is to keep the current political atmosphere, which is toxic for Republicans, frozen in place until they can get a Democratic President elected. At that point Iraq will drop off the media radar regardless of the situation on the ground and we will get their full on domestic agenda shoved down our throats. We are moving into an activist, Liberal cycle after thirty years of conservative domination. If I weren't such an optimist I would say that it will be difficult for the country to survive this. Turning and turning in the widening gyre..

Oh yeah, I meant to address Gtripp's post. An impeachable offense is whatever the house says it is. There is only the phrase "high crimes and misdemeanors" which is subjective. One of the impeachment articles against Nixon was over his bombing of Cambodia which may have been morally wrong but was not a crime in any meaningful sense of the word. It was impeachable because it got enough votes.

Also for those who are too young to remember the last impeachment extraveganza, "impeachment" refers to the formal charges brought to the floor of the house by the judiciary committee and passed by simple majority vote. It's like an indictment. Removal from office is a seprate proceeding that takes place after a trial in the Senate and requires a two-thirds majority. Often people say impeachment when they mean removal. Three Presidents have been impeached. None has ever been removed, although surely Nixon would have been. Johnson, Andrew was "acquitted" by one vote if memory serves. My point is, it's alot easier just to wait for the next election which is how the founders wanted it.

Now that I think about it, I believe that the Judiciary Committe voted articles of impeachment against Nixon but I don't know that the full house had the chance, so I suppose you could say that Nixon was not truly impeached. Maybe someone else here knows.

KLHJ2 05-29-2007 04:13 AM

I have read every post and have a little to say about everything.
Crazyhorse, why is it silly for Bush to denounce Iran?
Smootsmack, I agree.
Robbh4413, I second that.
Gtripp, you're onto something.
Sadden you are correct, but should have elaborated a little bit more.
Dblanche66, wars have been started over many stupid things throughout the years. The Cold war was a competition between Capitalism and Communism. The crusades were over religion and possible riches.
70chip, the only thing that the democrats would end by cutting off the money is the lives of those servicesmembers who would still be stuck over there. Now they would be there without food, and ammunition. So they will continue supporting it financially not because of the political aspect, but because of the threat of iminent danger to American lives without funding.

dmek25 05-29-2007 05:01 AM

i think Bush is a moron. and very incompetent. with that out of the way, the sad thing about this administration is i really think that they think they are doing the right things for our country. the democrats cried and cried about all the changes that would take place if they took control of Congress. what has changed? little to nothing. it would be political suicide to cut of the funding.

Daseal 05-29-2007 07:40 AM

I think what crazyhorse was referring to was the laughable hypocrisy this brings. We're allowed to hold all sorts of people without charges then get upset when someone does it to us? Sorry, doesn't work like that. If we don't play by the rules we shouldn't expect other countries to do it for us.

skinsfan_nn 05-29-2007 07:59 AM

FCK IRAN! THIS IS THE DUMBEST THREAD I'VE EVER POSTED ON! I'm sure if you don't like what the PRESIDENT is doing with those TARDS in iran, they've got plenty of room for you.

Redskin Rich 05-29-2007 08:23 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;313783]Can't wait to see how quickly this thread spirals down into hell[/quote]
Well.....:

FCK IRAN! THIS IS THE DUMBEST THREAD I'VE EVER POSTED ON! I'm sure if you don't like what the PRESIDENT is doing with those TARDS in iran, they've got plenty of room for you.

I guess it didn't take all that long.... The question now Smoot, is how deep the spiral will be?

TheMalcolmConnection 05-29-2007 08:25 AM

This isn't going to last very long...

gibbsisgod 05-29-2007 08:56 AM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;313807]This isn't going to last very long...[/quote]It will if we hijack this bitch. Any ideas?

12thMan 05-29-2007 09:08 AM

[quote=Daseal;313798]I think what crazyhorse was referring to was the laughable hypocrisy this brings. We're allowed to hold all sorts of people without charges then get upset when someone does it to us? Sorry, doesn't work like that. If we don't play by the rules we shouldn't expect other countries to do it for us.[/quote]

Exactly, I think he was simply pointing out the hypocrisy within the administration.

That being said, there is talk the Chair of House Judiciary Committee is going to start stirring a debate, more or less, to impeach Bush.

I highly doubt that it will get off the ground, however.