Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   SGG's What's Your Issue Poll (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=18429)

70Chip 05-31-2007 04:46 AM

Re: SGG's What's Your Issue Poll

I forgot to mention dogfighting. I'm against it, I guess.

KLHJ2 05-31-2007 05:38 AM

I read through the ideas of the previous posters who laid out their disposition of all of the topics. The only subject that I have a slight difference of opinion in or, would like to add a little bit to is abortion. I believe in a womans right to chose only in extreme circumstances. e.g. If she was rapped or there are some serious health issues with her or the baby (Life and Death, not deformity or retardation). Other than that, you make your bed and you have got to lay in it.

As far as Illegal Immigrants are concerned. I am glad that they want to come here. It just goes to show you that the U.S. is still viewed as a land of opportunity. They are highly determined to be successfull and a contributing member society. I served with many people who were not U.S. citizens, but busted thier asses and were the some of the most dedicated and loyal Soldiers I had. They were not afraid, nor did they find it beneath them to serve this country. Even the ones who do not serve take pride in the very jobs that many Americans bitch about them taking, but are not really willing to do themselves. What is crazy is that that man will succeed and be a millionaire before the rest of us ever would. They come here, bust their ass, and earn everything that they get. I love the shit out of that type of person.

Daseal 05-31-2007 07:37 AM

My problem with abortion is overpopulation is already a huge problem in not only this country but around the globe. I often see someone staunchly against abortion, but also tells someone to stop having kids and get off welfare. The two go hand in hand. Sometimes accidents happen, and I'm not suggesting abortion be used as some sort of birth control, but we need to find a way to start cutting population around the globe. The rate at which we're using natural resources is alarming.

12thMan 05-31-2007 09:12 AM

I tried to keep it simple. I just don't think any of the candidates will be able to adequately address all of these issues during one term.

With that being said, I went with two, education and immigration. I certainly feel rising tuition costs needs to be addressed, but I'm a bigger proponent of addressing and correcting the ills of our public school systems in the inner-cities; Particularly those in here in the Nations Capitol.

Immigration is a bit more trickier to overhaul than most think. Not only do the laws that currently govern illegal immigrants need to be addressed, but the system needs to be overhauled.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 05-31-2007 09:33 AM

[QUOTE=angryssg;314488]As far as Illegal Immigrants are concerned. I am glad that they want to come here. It just goes to show you that the U.S. is still viewed as a land of opportunity. They are highly determined to be successfull and a contributing member society. I served with many people who were not U.S. citizens, but busted thier asses and were the some of the most dedicated and loyal Soldiers I had. They were not afraid, nor did they find it beneath them to serve this country. Even the ones who do not serve take pride in the very jobs that many Americans bitch about them taking, but are not really willing to do themselves. What is crazy is that that man will succeed and be a millionaire before the rest of us ever would. They come here, bust their ass, and earn everything that they get. I love the shit out of that type of person.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. Most immigrants I know, and I know a bunch from Asia, Central America, and Europe, love this country because they realize just how much it has to offer. People should take note of our problems and do everything to fix them, but I swear that many young people complain about America because pissing on America is simply the thing to do among a majority of the urban 20-something crowd. Not so among most immigrant populations, who are about the most patriotic people I know.

Moreover, as you noted, most immigrants are incredibly hard-working and do a lot of things Americans would never do. I don't hear of too many illegals taking those cushy CEO position paying $500M a year. And even if they are in fact taking jobs that Americans want, I say if we can't compete with immigrants, they deserve to win the jobs.

MTK 05-31-2007 09:42 AM

All of the above issues are very important. I just hope for once the candidates can stay focused on what's important and not get sidetracked on the personal BS and mudslinging.

And inevitably, someone will try to sidetrack things with hot button issues such as gay marriage that in the end only helps to distract people from the real issues that we should be concerned about.

Beemnseven 05-31-2007 10:02 AM

[QUOTE=saden1;314417]Tax Reform - I'd like to see the elimination of tax havens for corporations and wealthy individuals. No, you can't do business in the states and have you HQ in the Cayman Islands.[/QUOTE]

Saden, this is an interesting comment, one that I’ve heard many times as an example of outrage over corporations looking to escape tax liabilities. But did you know that the United States is the only industrialized country in the world which imposes taxes on American based companies on products sold outside the United States? Every other industrialized nation will charge a tax on products sold in their own country, but not on what they sell overseas. The U.S. is the only country that does it.

Can you blame a corporation from moving its headquarters to a place that offers the best opportunity to do business? Let’s say you personally had the choice to work or start a business in two of our 50 states – one imposes a state income tax, and one does not. Which state would you choose? Is it wrong to look out for your own best interests and locate your business in the state which provides the best incentives to work there? Of course not! So why should it be any different for any other business?

Aside from all that, how exactly do we stop businesses from headquartering in another country? Do we stop them at the border or an airport at gunpoint? Or once they do relocate, do we stop allowing them to sell their product here, in an effort to punish them for not ‘doing the right thing’ by taking it up the butt in taxes?

saden1 05-31-2007 10:39 AM

[QUOTE=Beemnseven;314534]Saden, this is an interesting comment, one that I’ve heard many times as an example of outrage over corporations looking to escape tax liabilities. But did you know that the United States is the only industrialized country in the world which imposes taxes on American based companies on products sold outside the United States? Every other industrialized nation will charge a tax on products sold in their own country, but not on what they sell overseas. The U.S. is the only country that does it.

Can you blame a corporation from moving its headquarters to a place that offers the best opportunity to do business? Let’s say you personally had the choice to work or start a business in two of our 50 states – one imposes a state income tax, and one does not. Which state would you choose? Is it wrong to look out for your own best interests and locate your business in the state which provides the best incentives to work there? Of course not! So why should it be any different for any other business?

Aside from all that, how exactly do we stop businesses from headquartering in another country? Do we stop them at the border or an airport at gunpoint? Or once they do relocate, do we stop allowing them to sell their product here, in an effort to punish them for not ‘doing the right thing’ by taking it up the butt in taxes?[/QUOTE]

Internation law works such that a corporation pays taxes in the country it is based out of. Whether you make the money in the sates or not is irrelevant. You have to pay taxes to somebody and if you're not paying any taxes, well, you're cheating the system. You and I will have to pick up their load, and that doesn't sit well with me.

As for the states, they really have to compete for business to move to their states and create jobs. Most corporations are based out of Delaware, Nevada or New Jersey nowadays to avoid paying state taxes. I would like to see life made simple for the corporations. Them having to deal with so many states tax laws is unfair and inefficient.

How would a stop a corporation from cheating the system? Tax them more. Place tariff on their goods.

Beemnseven 05-31-2007 10:49 AM

[QUOTE=saden1;314543]Internation law works such that a corporation pays taxes in the country it is based out of. Whether you make the money in the sates or not is irrelevant. You have to pay taxes to somebody and if you're not paying any taxes, well, you're cheating the system. You and I will have to pick up their load, and that doesn't sit well with me.[/QUOTE]

Right -- businesses and corporations will always pay taxes to the country that they are based in, but only the United States imposes taxes on products sold in their country [I][B]and[/B][/I] products sold in other countries. That's why it makes good business sense to move your headquarters out of the country that has a bad tax policy and into a country that has a better tax policy. You still think that's a bad thing?

Unless you're rich, because I'm certainly not, you and I are likely not "picking up the load." Most of the tax revenue in this country comes from top earners thanks to our progressive tax system. Politicians love it that way -- they can stay in power by appealing to the larger mass of voters by sticking it to the rich who are far fewer in numbers.

Beemnseven 05-31-2007 10:54 AM

[QUOTE=saden1;314543]How would a stop a corporation from cheating the system? Tax them more. Place tariff on their goods.[/QUOTE]

And who pays the tab for that greater tax burden?

Answer? The consumers. The businesses and corporations will simply pass the expense on to the people who buy their products. So the cost is simply diverted. In the end, the consumers get stuck with the tab.

12thMan 05-31-2007 11:01 AM

Man, we've been feeling very patriotic around here lately.

saden1 05-31-2007 11:25 AM

[QUOTE=Beemnseven;314552]Right -- businesses and corporations will always pay taxes to the country that they are based in, but only the United [B]States imposes taxes on products sold in their country [I][B]and[/B][/I] products sold in other countries[/B]. That's why it makes good business sense to move your headquarters out of the country that has a bad tax policy and into a country that has a better tax policy. You still think that's a bad thing?[/QUOTE]

What does that mean? Corporate profits are taxed. Are you saying that profits made on products sold outside the country shouldn't be taxed?

Almost every country in the world has a sales tax of sort and that's the kind of money foreign nations generate from American companies doing business in their nation. If, say, Microsoft does business in Italy, it's not paying corporate tax to the Italian goverment.

[QUOTE=Beemnseven;314552]Unless you're rich, because I'm certainly not, you and I are likely not "picking up the load." Most of the tax revenue in this country comes from top earners thanks to our progressive tax system. Politicians love it that way -- they can stay in power by appealing to the larger mass of voters by sticking it to the rich who are far fewer in numbers.[/QUOTE]

It don't think it should matter whether I am rich or not. I'm still paying taxes and the corporations are setting up shell companies outside the states to shelter them from taxes. On the account of principle I protest.

saden1 05-31-2007 11:28 AM

[QUOTE=Beemnseven;314554]And who pays the tab for that greater tax burden?

Answer? The consumers. The businesses and corporations will simply pass the expense on to the people who buy their products. So the cost is simply diverted. In the end, the consumers get stuck with the tab.[/QUOTE]

Tariffs are designed to make market entry costly and prohibitive. At some point these companies will figure out that it's much cheaper to just pay their share and move on. If they don't their shareholders will be up in arms and no company wants that.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 05-31-2007 12:11 PM

[QUOTE=12thMan;314557]Man, we've been feeling very patriotic around here lately.[/QUOTE]

Is that a bad thing?

12thMan 05-31-2007 12:14 PM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;314596]Is that a bad thing?[/quote]

No, it's a damn good thing.