Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mark Cuban considers starting a rival NFL (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=18439)

hooskins 05-31-2007 12:36 PM

Mark Cuban considers starting a rival NFL

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2887465]ESPN.com: Cuban hopes to create league to rival NFL[/url]

Is he serious?

ArtMonkDrillz 05-31-2007 12:38 PM

Re: Mark Cuban considers starting a rival NFL

Will he call it the YFL?

hooskins 05-31-2007 12:39 PM

Does he seriously think this is gonna work, along with an AFL that is being fostered strongly by ESPN?

hooskins 05-31-2007 12:44 PM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;314619]Will he call it the YFL?[/quote]

why would he?

mlmpetert 05-31-2007 12:45 PM

I was thinking that there might be a good chance that DC might get a team. We dont have a arena team, and I would think that the 8 new teams would target places that have huge football followings.
I think it sounds sweet if it ever works out. Plus with only 8 teams that target 2nd round picks and up there would be decent players making up teams, and players that get suspended like R. Williams might rather play for a American leauge instead of Canadian leauge durning their suspensions.

[url=http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-newfootballleague&prov=ap&type=lgns]Group eyes possibility of new football league - Yahoo! Sports[/url]

ArtMonkDrillz 05-31-2007 12:47 PM

I can't see how it would work. There are already about 30 AFL and afl2 teams across the country using the players that Cuban thinks will make up the UFL, so I don't see how they could consistently find enough decent players to keep the league going and, more importantly, growing.

I do agree that there is a demand for football year round and that the NFL may be suffering a bit from a complete lack of competition but I don't think starting a league from scratch is the way to change that.

hooskins 05-31-2007 12:47 PM

Hey if there is a N.Virginia team, I am all in. We got space out here close to Loudon County, build the damn stadium here, I dont care about traffic.

hooskins 05-31-2007 12:48 PM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;314632]I can't see how it would work. There are already about 30 AFL and afl2 teams across the country using the players that Cuban thinks will make up the UFL, so I don't see how they could consistently find enough decent players to keep the league going and, more importantly, growing.

I do agree that there is a demand for football year round and that the NFL may be suffering a bit from a complete lack of competition but I don't think starting a league from scratch is the way to change that.[/quote]

It already has been tried once, and look what happened. Only way to get the league running, is to have high profile stars, not post-second rounders.

ArtMonkDrillz 05-31-2007 12:48 PM

[QUOTE=hooskins;314628]why would he?[/QUOTE] I figured it was the natural progression after the demise of the XFL. When this fails another billionaire will come in and start the ZFL, and so on (using the Greek alphabet).

Actually, I was just kidding.

hooskins 05-31-2007 12:49 PM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;314635]I figured it was the natural progression after the demise of the XFL. When this fails another billionaire will come in and start the ZFL, and so on (using the Greek alphabet).

Actually, I was just kidding.[/quote]

hahaaaa

ArtMonkDrillz 05-31-2007 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=hooskins;314634]It already has been tried once, and look what happened. Only way to get the league running, is to have high profile stars, not post-second rounders.[/QUOTE]

Right, otherwise you just have a bunch of NFL cast-offs trying to get a second chance at getting into the league. You need a Joe Namath-type who basically says "screw the NFL, I'm going with these new guys;" but I don't see that happening.

MTK 05-31-2007 01:26 PM

Nobody can compete directly with the NFL.

Nobody.

Jamaican'Skin 05-31-2007 01:29 PM

This looks like another failure in the making

mredskins 05-31-2007 01:30 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;314647]Nobody can compete directly with the NFL.

Nobody.[/quote]

NASCAR CAN

MTK 05-31-2007 01:49 PM

[quote=mredskins;314651]NASCAR CAN[/quote]

I didn't know NECKCAR was in the football business.