Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/other-sports/)
-   -   ESPN's "Who's Now" Stinks (http://www.thewarpath.net/other-sports/18837-espns-whos-now-stinks.html)

Warpath 07-11-2007 11:23 AM

ESPN's "Who's Now" Stinks

How lame is this segment on Sportscenter? I think its a huge waste of time and completely stupid. Who cares who is more now Jeff Gordon or Barry Bonds? I certainly don't. Am I in the minority here or what?

jamf 07-11-2007 11:28 AM

Re: ESPN's "Who's Now" Stinks

I agree, It sucks.

Monkeydad 07-11-2007 11:50 AM

Yep. Stupid.

Mattyk 07-11-2007 11:50 AM

What the hell does 'now' supposed to mean?

I swear they come up with some weird shit once in a while.

TheMalcolmConnection 07-11-2007 11:54 AM

When I first saw it, I was like, "Wow, someone is getting fired!"

EARTHQUAKE2689 07-11-2007 12:14 PM

Dumbest thing I have ever seen. Maybe it was SS's idea[IMG]http://www.thewarpath.net/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]

Redskins_P 07-11-2007 12:38 PM

I agree. Dumb idea. ESPN can come up with some stupid shit sometimes.

I do like the new "Bronx is burning" series. The 1st episode was pretty good.

70Chip 07-11-2007 12:40 PM

Worst segment ever. Actually I haven't seen it, but when in Rome.

70Chip 07-11-2007 12:41 PM

[quote=Redskins_P;327080]I agree. Dumb idea. ESPN can come up with some stupid shit sometimes.

I do like the new "Bronx is burning" series. The 1st episode was pretty good.[/quote]

When does the Yankees thing air? I didn't realize it already started.

SmootSmack 07-11-2007 12:52 PM

It's not all that popluar in-house either quite honestly. It's an off-shoot of the popular "Who's Next" yearly magazine series. Originally this was going to be its own show but it was decided to make it a part of SportsCenter because there just isn't as much content during these months.

Online, it's been a success generating a lot of hits. And really that was the main intent of the category, to boost online hits and pageviews. From a business standpoint, it's served its purpose.

FRPLG 07-11-2007 01:42 PM

Yeah it is retarded. It this type of stuff that got me to turn Sportscenter off. I think it is noteworthy that a lot(I say that but really it is just my circle of friends so take it for it is worth) of people don't really care for sportscenter too much anymore because of all the crap they cram into it. We all like shows like Baseball tonight and the myriad of football shows which tend to be more focused and crapless.

I guess we all need to remmeber that ESPN is solidly in the entertainment business now so this type of stuff will only increase.

dmek25 07-11-2007 01:46 PM

hey smooty, you guys need to give keyshawn a raise. the man only owns jeans and sneakers.

Redskins_P 07-11-2007 02:05 PM

[QUOTE=70Chip;327083]When does the Yankees thing air? I didn't realize it already started.[/QUOTE]

The 1st episode aired on Monday after the Homerun Derby. The next one is on Tuesday 7/17, at 10 pm (Not sure if thats the exact time).

SmootSmack 07-11-2007 02:08 PM

[QUOTE=FRPLG;327105]Yeah it is retarded. It this type of stuff that got me to turn Sportscenter off. I think it is noteworthy that a lot(I say that but really it is just my circle of friends so take it for it is worth) of people don't really care for sportscenter too much anymore because of all the crap they cram into it. We all like shows like Baseball tonight and the myriad of football shows which tend to be more focused and crapless.

I guess we all need to remmeber that ESPN is solidly in the entertainment business now so this type of stuff will only increase.[/QUOTE]

Well we are Entertainment and Sports Programming Network. So yeah there is entertainment but there's also a ton of sports coverage.

What most people don't understand is the legal limitations put on us by different sports entities. Especially now with leagues like the NFL starting their own networks they want to protect their own investments.

People say stuff like "Why don't you show more highlights, or talk more about this sport, or do more episodes featuring that sport?" Well, the simple answer is we're not allowed to, so we have to come up with other programming to a.) fill hours and b.) offset the costs of other properties.

SmootSmack 07-11-2007 02:11 PM

[QUOTE=Redskins_P;327122]The 1st episode aired on Monday after the Homerun Derby. The next one is on Tuesday 7/17, at 10 pm (Not sure if thats the exact time).[/QUOTE]

You can catch a re-air of the premiere tonight at 10p on ESPN