Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Supplemental Draft to begin on Thursday July 12, do you think we will make a move? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=18841)

skinsfan_nn 07-11-2007 05:12 PM

Supplemental Draft to begin on Thursday July 12, do you think we will make a move?

We have never used a pick in 30 years, I think it would be unlikely....?

Thoughts on available talent.

[url=http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=8787]Maryland's Gaither Available[/url]

dmek25 07-11-2007 05:14 PM

Re: Supplemental Draft to begin on Thursday July 12, do you think we will make a move

i think you lose a pick in the regular draft if you choose. if thats the case, no pick

BigSKINBauer 07-11-2007 05:16 PM

Re: Supplemental Draft to begin on Thursday July 12, do you think we will make a move

Last week i said I would like gaither as depth. He has been listed at 350 but that isn't what he really is. I would actually be quite happy to get him in the 5th round or so. However, he seems to be drawing more interest from other teams like jax

BigSKINBauer 07-11-2007 05:17 PM

[quote=dmek25;327199]i think you lose a pick in the regular draft if you choose. if thats the case, no pick[/quote]
yeah, but its sorta like actually picking a player with next years pick but just one year early. If we pick him in the 5th round in the supp draft then we give away our fifth next year.

paulskinsfan 07-11-2007 05:35 PM

Id be for using a 6th or 7th rounder as those guys rarely make the team or contribute, and before I get a river of Rock fans replying, yes I know he was a late round pick but he has clearly been the exception to the rule. If we can get one of these guys for a late rounder and they add to our depth I say why not?

skinsWill 07-11-2007 05:36 PM

Anyone know much about the CB from Georgia Oliver? i heard he held Calvin Johnson to like 2 catches, and has all the tools needed to be real at the pro level bu I never saw him play. worth a 3rd/4th rounder?

ArtMonkDrillz 07-11-2007 05:48 PM

I loved Gaither during his freshman year at UMD and I'm sad to see him go, but I don't think I would spend anything more than a 6th rounder (if that) on him. Plus, there's always the slim chance that no one takes him and we can get him as an undrafted FA, which I think is better for the salary cap.

Are there any DTs or DEs worth looking at?

skinsfan_nn 07-11-2007 06:06 PM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;327209]I loved Gaither during his freshman year at UMD and I'm sad to see him go, but I don't think I would spend anything more than a 6th rounder (if that) on him. Plus, there's always the slim chance that no one takes him and we can get him as an undrafted FA, which I think is better for the salary cap.

Are there any DTs or DEs worth looking at?[/quote]

That would be a nice area to pickup for sure (DE or DT), if there's a decent catch to be had.

[URL="http://www.nfldraftscout.com/"]2007 NFL Draft Scout, 2007 Draft Coverage for Pros by Pros -- Powered by the Sports Xchange[/URL]

[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2916025"]ESPN - Morgan St. DT available in supplemental draft - NFL[/URL]

saden1 07-11-2007 06:47 PM

Gaither was suppose to be a 1'st round pick next year and some folks are talking about taking him with a 3'rd or 2'nd round pick in the supplemental draft. He's going to be a project but at 6'9" and 350 lbs he can just engulf people.

CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR 07-11-2007 10:06 PM

i would take gaithers with a third round pick we need some young olinemen. Our tackles are going old.

paulskinsfan 07-12-2007 11:38 AM

According to PFT.com, the rumor is that Gaithers will go in Round 5. We'll see how accruate he is on this one.

[url=http://www.profootballtalk.com/]ProFootballTalk.com -- The Best Pro Football Scoop on the Internet[/url]

jdlea 07-12-2007 11:44 AM

[QUOTE=paulskinsfan;327207]Id be for using a 6th or 7th rounder as those guys rarely make the team or contribute, and before I get a river of Rock fans replying, yes I know he was a late round pick but he has clearly been the exception to the rule. If we can get one of these guys for a late rounder and they add to our depth I say why not?[/QUOTE]

But if we use a 6th/7th round pick, then we give up all chances of landing a gem like Jordan Palmer...:rolleyes:

BigSKINBauer 07-12-2007 12:09 PM

[quote=jdlea;327572]But if we use a 6th/7th round pick, then we give up all chances of landing a gem like Jordan Palmer...:rolleyes:[/quote]
haha, but that is why i feel that we should be getting players today. I mean, what is the big deal if we give up a 5th today for someone who is a first day talent? These players have unique situations, its not that they are bad players. I am up fro picking up gaithers today and i'll give a 5th for that. I think he'll go higher but i won't be upset with giving a 4th either. A third would be pushing it too far. Paul, nice report by PFT. I was hoping to pick him up there. We'll see but adding depth to the line was a big knock on our draft. If we can pick someone up that is decent for depth, i don't see why not.

BigSKINBauer 07-12-2007 12:14 PM

[quote=saden1;327217]Gaither was suppose to be a 1'st round pick next year and some folks are talking about taking him with a 3'rd or 2'nd round pick in the supplemental draft. He's going to be a project but at 6'9" and 350 lbs he can just engulf people.[/quote]
I feel that the 350 number was just overblown. I don't think he ever was that big. However, i've seen this guy around campus, he is a monster.

5RINGS 07-12-2007 12:18 PM

[quote=BigSKINBauer;327580]haha, but that is why i feel that we should be getting players today. I mean, what is the big deal if we give up a 5th today for someone who is a first day talent? These players have unique situations, its not that they are bad players. I am up fro picking up gaithers today and i'll give a 5th for that. I think he'll go higher but i won't be upset with giving a 4th either. A third would be pushing it too far. Paul, nice report by PFT. I was hoping to pick him up there. We'll see but adding depth to the line was a big knock on our draft. If we can pick someone up that is decent for depth, i don't see why not.[/quote]

BSB, you are at Maryland aren't you?

Any truth to those 'character issues' with Gaither?

BTW Gaither at round three is a steal.

i wish Dallas didn't draft two Tackles this year, I would definitely want him at round three.

Mind you every NFL team knows that there are hella OT's coming out next year. There will be quality at OT well into the third/fourth round.