Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What!!!? Brunell to the Falcons? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=18955)

Skins_4_Lyfe 07-24-2007 10:55 AM

What!!!?

[B]Falcons could add Culpepper or Brunell?[/B]
If the Falcons look to add another experienced quarterback to their roster, Daunte Culpepper was recently released by the Dolphins. He is battling back from a severe knee injury but is only two seasons removed from throwing for 4,717 yards and 39 touchdowns. Another veteran to watch through training camp is the Washington Redskins' Mark Brunell, who is set to backup Jason Campbell. Brunell played for Falcons coach Bobby Petrino with the Jacksonville Jaguars and threw a career-high 23 touchdown passes in 2005 with the Redskins, when working with Bill Musgrave, who is now the Falcons quarterbacks coach. [B][I]-- Atlanta Journal-Constitution[/I][/B]
[URL="http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/07/23/falconsqbs_0724.html"]link[/URL]

MTK 07-24-2007 10:56 AM

Re: What!!!?

Unless we desperately need the cap room or he's not 100%, I don't see this happening at all.

Just a FYI I'm editing the thread title, let's try to be a little more descriptive than "What!!!?"

Monksdown 07-24-2007 10:58 AM

Last time i checked, he wasnt for sale.

When shoddy reporters are trying to speculate, they look at new coaches resumes. They take a look at players that coaches have worked with before and jump to crazy conclusions.

That's complete fiction.

BigSKINBauer 07-24-2007 11:06 AM

[quote=Monksdown;332328]Last time i checked, he wasnt for sale.

When shoddy reporters are trying to speculate, they look at new coaches resumes. They take a look at players that coaches have worked with before and jump to crazy conclusions.

That's complete fiction.[/quote]
exactly. HE coached brunell and brunell is a backup so in this reporter's mind that means brunell is on the short list to head on out to atlanta. Great.

BleedBurgundy 07-24-2007 11:07 AM

Re: What!!!? Brunell to the Falcons?

I understand we need quality depth but if there was a possibility that we could unburden ourselves of that massive contract, then we need to at least look into it. That said, I am one of the 3 people who don't think Joey Harrington is washed up so I don't expect anything of this nature to happen.

Schneed10 07-24-2007 11:17 AM

This is all simply speculation from the perspective of which QB would make logical sense for the Falcons to pursue. It does not factor in the low (nill) likelihood of Brunell being traded by Washington.

It's an Atlanta paper just throwing out an idea, nothing more. Atlanta journalists know less about the Washington Redskins than just about every fan on this board.

Until I see a murmur about this appearing on JLC's Redskins Insider, I'm discounting it as complete bunk.

BrudLee 07-24-2007 11:18 AM

Absolute speculation. Brunell just (in February) restructured his contract to lower his base salary, but got him some scratch upfront. Unless the Falcons want to compensate that outlay with some draft picks, he's staying on the team.

And that's just from a fiscal perspective. Clearly, this coaching staff has a fondness for Brunell, like his ability, [U]love[/U] his mentoring, and want him here. To give that up would take a sweet deal.

hesscl34 07-24-2007 11:20 AM

[quote=Skins_4_Lyfe;332325][B]Falcons could add Culpepper or Brunell?[/B]
If the Falcons look to add another experienced quarterback to their roster, Daunte Culpepper was recently released by the Dolphins. He is battling back from a severe knee injury but is only two seasons removed from throwing for 4,717 yards and 39 touchdowns. Another veteran to watch through training camp is the Washington Redskins' Mark Brunell, who is set to backup Jason Campbell. Brunell played for Falcons coach Bobby Petrino with the Jacksonville Jaguars and threw a career-high 23 touchdown passes in 2005 with the Redskins, when working with Bill Musgrave, who is now the Falcons quarterbacks coach. [B][I]-- Atlanta Journal-Constitution[/I][/B]
[URL="http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/07/23/falconsqbs_0724.html"]link[/URL][/quote]

Scary! Funny how when someone else wants him, we then see how much we NEED him!!!!

JoeRedskin 07-24-2007 11:33 AM

Naw. I think there is a strong "Brunnell is a GREAT back-up" group amongst us warpathers (I being one of them). I also think there is also a strong "I hate Brunnell and never want to see him take a snap for us again" group. The reason this second group has not yet posted is b/c they are still in shock that anyone, ANYONE, would think that Brunnell wasn't washed up. Once they recover from their collective shock they will be preaching the "take any offer they give us" line.

My two cents - MB is a great back-up and could easily step and start for several games w/out losing too much on offense. Contrary to (anti-MB) belief, I don't think the season is over if MB is forced to start several games.

At the same time, given his age, if we can get some decent picks (multiple with one of them no less than a 3rd) THEN deal him. As Brud said, given the benefit he gives us this year and possibly next, to give him up for anything less than a very sweet deal is just not worth it.

freddyg12 07-24-2007 11:34 AM

nothing to get excited about, just a journalist throwing out some ideas. But it's not that out of the question, just a while back we were debating who the skins would cut, MB or Collins?

What if they offered a 3rd or higher? A d-lineman?
I agree that it would take a sweet deal for JOe & co. to let him go, but if they are confident in Collins as the #2, it could happen.

Hog1 07-24-2007 11:35 AM

It would be a smart move for the Falcons. They are obviously, (potentially) in real trouble for a starting QB. Great leader. Decent QB. Maybe good, with good protection.
With Gibb's affililiation with Atlanta.........who knows? You know MB would MUCH rather start in the ATL, than ride the pine in DC. For the right deal.......??????

freddyg12 07-24-2007 11:37 AM

[quote=JoeRedskin;332336]Naw. I think there is a strong "Brunnell is a GREAT back-up" group amongst us warpathers (I being one of them). I also think there is also a strong "I hate Brunnell and never want to see him take a snap for us again" group. The reason this second group has not yet posted is b/c they are still in shock that anyone, ANYONE, would think that Brunnell wasn't washed up. Once they recover from their collective shock they will be preaching the "take any offer they give us" line.

My two cents - MB is a great back-up and could easily step and start for several games w/out losing too much on offense. Contrary to (anti-MB) belief, I don't think the season is over if MB is forced to start several games.

At the same time, given his age, if we can get some decent picks (multiple with one of them no less than a 3rd) THEN deal him. As Brud said, given the benefit he gives us this year and possibly next, to give him up for anything less than a very sweet deal is just not worth it.[/quote]

Joe, your post beat mine to the board, but the sentiment is the same here. Good breakdown of the wp's brunell camps.
I can't think of anyone they might give up from their d-line, but if they had an end that could play in GW's rotation, it would make sense.

Daseal 07-24-2007 11:42 AM

Send him away. We'll get some compensation for him, we can keep Todd Collins (if Campbell goes down our season is more or less done anyways.) for that Veteran who understands the system and can help Jason.

Give him away, no. For a few draft picks, enjoy!

SmootSmack 07-24-2007 11:45 AM

Atlanta is potentially (though less likely now considering the latest developments) a team we'll be battling with for a wild card spot. It's a shame what's happening to that organization right now (By the way, Jimmy Williams arrested for marijuana possession), however, it's not our business to try to help them out of this mess. Unless they're sending us DeAngelo Hall or Jamaal Anderson.

That being said, they can have Todd Collins

JoeRedskin 07-24-2007 11:54 AM

What about John Abraham for MB straight up.

hesscl34 07-24-2007 11:58 AM

[quote=Daseal;332342]Send him away. We'll get some compensation for him, we can keep Todd Collins (if Campbell goes down our season is more or less done anyways.) for that Veteran who understands the system and can help Jason.

Give him away, no. For a few draft picks, enjoy![/quote]

Because Todd Collins is such a gem??? Please. We need to leave him on the side of the road and hope he gets lost.

12thMan 07-24-2007 12:02 PM

As critical as I've been of Brunell, I would be really nervous if Jason get's nicked up for a few games and we have to turn to Collins.

DieHardSkinsFan777 07-24-2007 12:06 PM

I really don't see Atlanta even being interested in MB, other than depth. In the same role he's already in. This just doesn't make a whole lot a sense to me , nor do I think this move will happen.

FRPLG 07-24-2007 12:25 PM

If Brunell is healthy enough for Atl to trade for him then he is healthy enough to play for us and will be our 2nd stringer. He is not getting traded. He'll either make the team as the backup or get cut because he isn't healthy. Plain and simple. Hog wash.

Dlyne8r 07-24-2007 12:25 PM

[QUOTE=JoeRedskin;332350]What about John Abraham for MB straight up.[/QUOTE]

I don't even think we would want John Abraham now considering his last injury in Atlanta. He only played 8 games and apparently had trouble learning their system.

skins009 07-24-2007 12:53 PM

Pack him up and ship him out. I would take as low as a 6th round pick for him.

hesscl34 07-24-2007 12:59 PM

[quote=Schneed10;332332]This is all simply speculation from the perspective of which QB would make logical sense for the Falcons to pursue. It does not factor in the low (nill) likelihood of Brunell being traded by Washington.

It's an Atlanta paper just throwing out an idea, nothing more. Atlanta journalists know less about the Washington Redskins than just about every fan on this board.

Until I see a murmur about this appearing on JLC's Redskins Insider, I'm discounting it as complete bunk.[/quote]

:pffff:

hesscl34 07-24-2007 01:00 PM

[quote=skins009;332374]Pack him up and ship him out. I would take as low as a 6th round pick for him.[/quote]

:soapbox: how soon you forget our last moment of glory!!!

SmootSmack 07-24-2007 01:04 PM

[QUOTE=hesscl34;332375]:pffff:[/QUOTE]

What was the point of that?

hesscl34 07-24-2007 01:05 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;332380]What was the point of that?[/quote]

I was agreeing with Schneed. It all bunk... what the sports writers are doing. Why?

SmootSmack 07-24-2007 01:09 PM

[QUOTE=hesscl34;332381]I was agreeing with Schneed. It all bunk... what the sports writers are doing. Why?[/QUOTE]

I've never thought of that smiley as an "I agree with you" smiley. Anyone else?

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 07-24-2007 01:10 PM

Although I would cry if Brunell hit the field this season, I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a 4th rounder. That said, as many others have pointed out, it's all B.S. speculation.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 07-24-2007 01:10 PM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;332385]I've never thought of that smiley as an "I agree with you" smiley. Anyone else?[/QUOTE]

I thought it was a "you're an idiot" smiley.

hesscl34 07-24-2007 01:10 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;332385]I've never thought of that smiley as an "I agree with you" smiley. Anyone else?[/quote]

Are you kidding me? ... unreal.

hesscl34 07-24-2007 01:13 PM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;332388]I thought it was a "you're an idiot" smiley.[/quote]

Yeah, the sports writers are idiots. If the smiley is offensive then delete it from the list... so it can't offend anyone. How does that sound? Or will I be the first to go?

SmootSmack 07-24-2007 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=hesscl34;332389]Are you kidding me? ... unreal.[/QUOTE]

Am I kidding you? You've totally lost me. Anyway, moving on

12thMan 07-24-2007 01:22 PM

[quote=hesscl34;332390]Yeah, the sports writers are idiots. If the smiley is offensive then delete it from the list... so it can't offend anyone. How does that sound? Or will I be the first to go?[/quote]

So touchy-feely all the time.....

hesscl34 07-24-2007 01:25 PM

[quote=12thMan;332394]So touchy-feely all the time.....[/quote]

hmmmm, that sounds like a personal attack to me... :spank:

12thMan 07-24-2007 01:27 PM

[quote=hesscl34;332396]hmmmm, that sounds like a personal attack to me... :spank:[/quote]

It was....hey, I need your help on something...

hesscl34 07-24-2007 01:30 PM

[quote=12thMan;332398]It was....hey, I need your help on something...[/quote]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]I thought personal attacks were forbidden. NO EXCEPTIONS. IM me if you need help with something.. and attack me in private as well. [/COLOR]

Slingin Sammy 33 07-24-2007 01:30 PM

[quote=JoeRedskin;332336]Naw. I think there is a strong "Brunnell is a GREAT back-up" group amongst us warpathers (I being one of them). I also think there is also a strong "I hate Brunnell and never want to see him take a snap for us again" group. The reason this second group has not yet posted is b/c they are still in shock that anyone, ANYONE, would think that Brunnell wasn't washed up. Once they recover from their collective shock they will be preaching the "take any offer they give us" line.

[/quote]
I'm one of the never want to see MB take a sanp for us again crowd, although I don't hate him. He is a very good leader, a good mentor and a serviceable back-up to complete a game and maybe go one or two starts.

The problem with MB is, his arm is done. Other than the miracle against Dallas, he can't throw a pass with any velocity over 15-20 yards and his accuracy is nowhere near what it was 4-5 years ago. If there is no threat to stretch the field, the defense has a huge advantage and the offense is extremely limited. You can't survive on screens and 5-yard check-downs for very long.

That being said, IMO unless we get a sweet deal from Atlanta we need to hang onto MB through this season. There are no better back-up QBs on the market (Culpepper has his own accuracy issues along with health). I believe these AJC comments are complete trash. Culpepper is the most likely target by ATL because they don't have to give up anything to get him. They aren't going to pursue MB knowing they will have to give up picks.

hesscl34 07-24-2007 01:33 PM

[quote=Slingin Sammy 33;332401]I'm one of the never want to see MB take a sanp for us again crowd, although I don't hate him. He is a very good leader, a good mentor and a serviceable back-up to complete a game and maybe go one or two starts.

The problem with MB is, his arm is done. Other than the miracle against Dallas, he can't throw a pass with any velocity over 15-20 yards and his accuracy is nowhere near what it was 4-5 years ago. If there is no threat to stretch the field, the defense has a huge advantage and the offense is extremely limited. You can't survive on screens and 5-yard check-downs for very long.

That being said, IMO unless we get a sweet deal from Atlanta we need to hang onto MB through this season. There are no better back-up QBs on the market (Culpepper has his own accuracy issues along with health). I believe these AJC comments are complete trash. Culpepper is the most likely target by ATL because they don't have to give up anything to get him. They aren't going to pursue MB knowing they will have to give up picks.[/quote]

What about the Jags game? His arm was hurt last year. And I agree that he shouldn't be going anywhere. Plus, I love him... LOL :)

Slingin Sammy 33 07-24-2007 02:07 PM

[quote=hesscl34;332403]What about the Jags game? His arm was hurt last year. And I agree that he shouldn't be going anywhere. Plus, I love him... LOL :)[/quote]
First, I agree with you, MB is a great guy, top-notch person.
Second, (I just thought of this point) Gibbs is too loyal to let MB go anywhere unless ATL puts up a monster deal.

But....unfortunatley IMO the Jags game was the exception, not the rule since Nov 2005. Stats aren't everything, but I believe confirm what I'm saying.

Since Nov 2005
MB has passed for over 200 yards in 5 out of 18 games, and for over 250 in only 2 of 18.
He has thrown for more than 1 touchdown in 5 out of those same 18 games, but 0 touchdowns in 7 of 18.
His QB rating in 2006 was over 77 in only 4 out of 9 games.

I sat in the end-zone against the Chargers in 2005 and had a great view from as close to the QB perspective as you can get sitting in the stands. I watched on at least three separate plays where Moss had the SD corners torched on beautiful Post-Corner routes downfield, MB was looking right at him each time, but the ball needed to be thrown with velocity at about 35+ yards to the outside and he didn't make the throws because IMO he knew he couldn't get the ball there.

skinsfan69 07-24-2007 02:09 PM

[quote=JoeRedskin;332350]What about John Abraham for MB straight up.[/quote]

No way Atl. makes that move. If they offer it take it and run. He may be injury prone but he is a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better pass rusher than anyone we currently have on the roster.

skinsfan69 07-24-2007 02:12 PM

[quote=Slingin Sammy 33;332412]First, I agree with you, MB is a great guy, top-notch person.
Second, (I just thought of this point) Gibbs is too loyal to let MB go anywhere unless ATL puts up a monster deal.

But....unfortunatley IMO the Jags game was the exception, not the rule since Nov 2005. Stats aren't everything, but I believe confirm what I'm saying.

Since Nov 2005
MB has passed for over 200 yards in 5 out of 18 games, and for over 250 in only 2 of 18.
He has thrown for more than 1 touchdown in 5 out of those same 18 games, but 0 touchdowns in 7 of 18.
His QB rating in 2006 was over 77 in only 4 out of 9 games.

I sat in the end-zone against the Chargers in 2005 and had a great view from as close to the QB perspective as you can get sitting in the stands. I watched on at least three separate plays where Moss had the SD corners torched on beautiful Post-Corner routes downfield, MB was looking right at him each time, but the ball needed to be thrown with velocity at about 35+ yards to the outside and he didn't make the throws because IMO he knew he couldn't get the ball there.[/quote]

Can anyone remember the last time we had a 300 yard passing game? Was it Patrick Ramsey?