Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   First Santa and now Bear Grylls?!?! (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=18957)

ArtMonkDrillz 07-24-2007 12:47 PM

First Santa and now Bear Grylls?!?!

It was bad enough when I found out on Jimmy Kimmel Live that "Bear's" real name is Theodore and when he was young they called him Teddy Bear and then shortened it to Bear, but this takes the cake.

[url=http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article2116195.ece]TV 'survival king' stayed in hotels - Times Online[/url]
[QUOTE]TO LIVE up to his public image of a rugged, ex-SAS adventurer, it must have seemed essential for Bear Grylls to appear at ease sleeping rough and catching his own food in his television survival series.

But it has emerged that Grylls, 33, was enjoying a far more conventional form of comfort, retreating some nights from filming in mountains and on desert islands to nearby lodges and hotels.
[/QUOTE]

I love the show Man vs. Wild and this probably won't keep me from watching it, but I do feel just a little bit cheated. Plus, I bet PETA is going to be [even more] pissed at him because it's not he'll starve if he doesn't kill and eat animals while he's filming.
Damn you Bear, I mean Teddy, I've been living in the woods and eating rotten bird eggs for the past 4 months because I thought you were that cool. Now I just feel foolish!

Southpaw 07-24-2007 01:00 PM

Re: First Santa and now Bear Grylls?!?!

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;332373]I love the show Man vs. Wild and this probably won't keep me from watching it, but I do feel just a little bit cheated. Plus, I bet PETA is going to be [even more] pissed at him because it's not he'll starve if he doesn't kill and eat animals while he's filming.
Damn you Bear, I mean Teddy, I've been living in the woods and eating rotten bird eggs for the past 4 months because I thought you were that cool. Now I just feel foolish![/quote]

This is exactly why Les Stroud is the true "Survival king". All hail Survivorman.

ArtMonkDrillz 07-24-2007 01:02 PM

Yeah, Survivorman is a really good show too. I could see people saying it's better because he's completely alone out there but I've only seen it two or three times so it's hard to say.

Southpaw 07-24-2007 01:08 PM

Les Stroud doesn't take as many chances as "Bear", but then again, he's not sleeping in a hotel when the cameras are off. The situations in Survivorman are a lot more realistic too. There's a chance I may get stranded in a snow storm while driving someday, but the chances of me being lost in an Ecuadorien jungle are less than zero.

FRPLG 07-24-2007 01:57 PM

Well crap.

SmootSmack 07-24-2007 02:13 PM

I'm reminded of this

[YT]ZpBDRdpnP44[/YT]

firstdown 07-25-2007 01:18 PM

Ok, you did not ever get the feeling this was staged while watching the show. I thought how funning it was how the camera guy always seemed to be in the right place at the right time and he always seemed to stumble across the stuff he needed right when they were needed. I also thought that I noticed a rope which was hidden as he was either climbng up or down from something. Anyone who climbed Everest has to be tough and a little dumb so I won't take anything away from him but he and the show was trying to foll the public. There was that show the Mutural of Omaha back years ago which got caught traping animals then letting tigers catch them to eat. They made it look as if it was just a natural thing which they caught on film. I think that was the show.

TheMalcolmConnection 07-25-2007 01:24 PM

Regardless of how it's staged, there's nothing more man than the stuff he does on camera.

SmootSmack 07-25-2007 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection;332824]Regardless of how it's staged, there's nothing more man than the stuff he does on camera.[/QUOTE]

Please! Who among us hasn't squeezed the juice out of elephant droppings for nourishment and hydration when out in the jungle?

TheMalcolmConnection 07-25-2007 01:41 PM

Whateva, whateva. I carry my elephant droppings in a Nalgene bottle. I'm not a savage.

Santana=TheTruth 07-25-2007 01:59 PM

Even if the guy posts up in hotels every once and a while, he's still a bad ass in my book...ps Jason Campbell's gonna light it up this year!!

SmootSmack 07-25-2007 02:02 PM

Welcome to the board

firstdown 07-25-2007 02:27 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;332838]Please! Who among us hasn't squeezed the juice out of elephant droppings for nourishment and hydration when out in the jungle?[/quote]
If thats considered man stuff then I'll pass.

ArtMonkDrillz 07-25-2007 02:44 PM

[QUOTE=firstdown;332875]If thats considered man stuff then I'll pass.[/QUOTE]
So you've never drank your own urine to buy yourself a year hours before dehydration set in?

BigSKINBauer 07-25-2007 03:03 PM

i am dissapointed.

hooskins 07-25-2007 08:09 PM

I am a bit disappointed too, and I always did think SurvivorMan was a bit more dangerous seeing that he was alone.

But Bear has made his own houses out of wood, etc right in front of camera. It is not like he making that stuff up. He definitely did quite a bit of crazy things and put himself in front of danger.

It is still a great show and you learn a lot while getting entertained.

firstdown 07-26-2007 01:32 PM

[quote=hooskins;332939]I am a bit disappointed too, and I always did think SurvivorMan was a bit more dangerous seeing that he was alone.

But Bear has made his own houses out of wood, etc right in front of camera. It is not like he making that stuff up. He definitely did quite a bit of crazy things and put himself in front of danger.

It is still a great show and you learn a lot while getting entertained.[/quote]
How can you know he made his own house after it has come out that he had help building that raft?

GhettoDogAllStars 07-26-2007 02:00 PM

I'm sure Bear has an insane amount of knowledge about surviving, whether the show is staged or not. They probably didn't make up the part about him serving in the British Special Forces.

Anyways, from a survival perspective, SurvivorMan is a better show. He doesn't have camera men, so it's less likely that he's faking anything. Also, as was said earlier, it's much more realistic. However, from an entertainment perspective, I like Man vs. Wild better.

firstdown 07-26-2007 04:21 PM

[quote=GhettoDogAllStars;333155]I'm sure Bear has an insane amount of knowledge about surviving, whether the show is staged or not. They probably didn't make up the part about him serving in the British Special Forces.

Anyways, from a survival perspective, SurvivorMan is a better show. He doesn't have camera men, so it's less likely that he's faking anything. Also, as was said earlier, it's much more realistic. However, from an entertainment perspective, I like Man vs. Wild better.[/quote]
So you really think that there is no one else out there with him and he just films and does everything by himself?

Southpaw 07-26-2007 05:09 PM

[quote=firstdown;333210]So you really think that there is no one else out there with him and he just films and does everything by himself?[/quote]

If you're refering to Survivorman, there has never been anything stated anywhere that I've seen, saying that the show is rigged. And logically it makes sense, since Survivorman isn't as action packed as Man vs Wild. Les Stroud doesn't have the ability to catch those convenient action shots that are presented on Man vs Wild because he's by himself.

SmootSmack 07-30-2007 08:50 PM

This gets better by the minute

[url=http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2001320029-2007350072,00.html]The Sun Online - TV: TV Bear 'faked' grizzly attack[/url]