Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   Redskins Secondary: Four First Round Picks! (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/19037-redskins-secondary-four-first-round-picks.html)

12thMan 07-30-2007 08:38 AM

Redskins Secondary: Four First Round Picks!

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but now that Laron Landry has officially signed and will more than likely start, the Redskins now have four first round draft picks that will line up as starters in the secondary. Three of which we're drafted as Redskins.

I wonder if that's some unprecendented stat, and furthermore, I wonder if these guys feel some pressure of having a secondary full of first round picks?

Mattyk 07-30-2007 09:17 AM

Re: Redskins Secondary: Four First Round Picks!

Reminds me of when we had the d-line full of first rounders. A lot of good that did.

Jamaican'Skin 07-30-2007 09:34 AM

Oh Matty, love your optomism.

Gotta agree with him though. These guys need to prove that they're good this season

Beemnseven 07-30-2007 09:53 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;334210]Reminds me of when we had the d-line full of first rounders. A lot of good that did.[/QUOTE]

When was that?

Mattyk 07-30-2007 10:00 AM

[quote=Beemnseven;334222]When was that?[/quote]

I believe it was when we had Bruce Smith, Marco Coleman, Big Daddy and Stubby. I think Lang was still on the roster too making 5 first round d-lineman.

Ade Jimoh Fan Club 07-30-2007 10:15 AM

[QUOTE=12thMan;334191]I'm sure this has been brought up before, but now that Laron Landry has officially signed and will more than likely start, the Redskins now have four first round draft picks that will line up as starters in the secondary. Three of which we're drafted as Redskins.
[/QUOTE]

What's even MORE IMPRESSIVE is that they average a 5th overall pick! (Would be higher if Landry wasn't dragging down the average). It's not like we got a bunch of late first-rounders, but instead, guys that should be 5th overall, certifyable studs! We've got lots of other talent (draft-wise) on the team:

1st Rounders:

* Springs - 4th
* Taylor - 4th
* Rogers - 5th
* Landry - 7th
* Carter - 7th
* Wynn - 21st

2nd Rounders:

* Smoot
* Griffin
* Washington
* McIntosh (well, technically 2 x 2nd round picks)

Others:

* Daniels - 4th round
* Sa'laveia - 4th round
* Fletcher - UNDRAFTED

I know that draft potential doesn't meat shit - but you would think we'd have a top 5 defense just looking at that squad. Wouldn't it be sad if our best player this year was Fletcher - the only undrafted player!

12thMan 07-30-2007 10:18 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;334227]I believe it was when we had Bruce Smith, Marco Coleman, Big Daddy and Stubby. I think Lang was still on the roster too making 5 first round d-lineman.[/quote]

But how many of those guys were drafted as Redskins?

GTripp0012 07-30-2007 10:45 AM

[quote=12thMan;334191]I'm sure this has been brought up before, but now that Laron Landry has officially signed and will more than likely start, the Redskins now have four first round draft picks that will line up as starters in the secondary. Three of which we're drafted as Redskins.

I wonder if that's some unprecendented stat, and furthermore, I wonder if these guys feel some pressure of having a secondary full of first round picks?[/quote]Its not unprecidented, in fact even for the current NFL. The Oakland Raiders just signed Donovan Darius, a former first round pick, giving them a secondary of Nnamdi Asomugha (1st round, 2003), Fabian Washington (1st round, 2005), Michael Huff (1st round, 2006), and Darius (1st round, 1998).

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 07-30-2007 10:46 AM

[QUOTE=Ade Jimoh Fan Club;334231]
* Springs - 4th
* Taylor - 4th
* Rogers - 5th
* Landry - 7th
* Carter - 7th
* Wynn - 21st[/QUOTE]

Thanks for breaking down the picks, it's good to see where each player was drafted. But, Taylor was drafted 5th overall, Rogers was drafted 9th overall, and Landry was drafted 6th overall.

12thMan 07-30-2007 10:57 AM

[quote=GTripp0012;334239]Its not unprecidented, in fact even for the current NFL. The Oakland Raiders just signed Donovan Darius, a former first round pick, giving them a secondary of Nnamdi Asomugha (1st round, 2003), Fabian Washington (1st round, 2005), Michael Huff (1st round, 2006), and Darius (1st round, 1998).[/quote]

Good to know. How many were drafted by the Raiders? Three?

SKINSnCANES 07-30-2007 11:15 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;334227]I believe it was when we had Bruce Smith, Marco Coleman, Big Daddy and Stubby. I think Lang was still on the roster too making 5 first round d-lineman.[/quote]

Technically in 2001 didnt we have four number 1 overall picks?

Bruce Smith
Kijanna Carter
Dan Wilkinson
Jeff George

Did we sign Courtney Brown too? cant remember, but definitly had four of the first overall picks of the last 15 years and still sucked...this kind of history stat doesnt really mean anything.

Mattyk 07-30-2007 11:28 AM

[quote=SKINSnCANES;334258]Technically in 2001 didnt we have four number 1 overall picks?

Bruce Smith
Kijanna Carter
Dan Wilkinson
Jeff George

Did we sign Courtney Brown too? cant remember, but definitly had four of the first overall picks of the last 15 years and still sucked...this kind of history stat doesnt really mean anything.[/quote]

Yeah I thought we were talking about first rounders at one position though.

We didn't have Brown.

Ade Jimoh Fan Club 07-30-2007 12:20 PM

[QUOTE=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;334240]Thanks for breaking down the picks, it's good to see where each player was drafted. But, Taylor was drafted 5th overall, Rogers was drafted 9th overall, and Landry was drafted 6th overall.[/QUOTE]

Sheriff Got Me - I dorked that all up. I misread the draft position when I looked it up. I thought it looked wierd... Good catch Sheriff. Please let me out on bail...

GusFrerotte 07-30-2007 01:11 PM

Goes to show you pretty much anything after the 2nd round is almost cannon fodder. Camp opens up rough for all of these low rounders we picked up. Bums won't be on the 53 man roster come September. All we drafted after Landry was practice squad bodies.

12thMan 07-30-2007 01:17 PM

[quote=GusFrerotte;334312]Goes to show you pretty much anything after the 2nd round is almost cannon fodder. Camp opens up rough for all of these low rounders we picked up. Bums won't be on the 53 man roster come September. All we drafted after Landry was practice squad bodies.[/quote]

You never know, I think we'll have a couple of keepers this year besides Landry.

We've actually had pretty good success since Gibbs' arrival in the lower rounds.