Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Bronx is Burning (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=19219)

jsarno 08-10-2007 02:58 AM

The Bronx is Burning

At first, I was completely against watching this since I am an avid Red Sox fan, and a Yankee hater, but this is really a good show.
Their casting is great too.
Billy Martin, George, Reggie, Munson, and even Pinella are great casts.

Has anyone else watched this show?

SmootSmack 08-10-2007 03:06 AM

Re: The Bronx is Burning

[QUOTE=jsarno;338500]At first, I was completely against watching this since I am an avid Red Sox fan, and a Yankee hater, but this is really a good show.
Their casting is great too.
Billy Martin, George, Reggie, Munson, and even Pinella are great casts.

Has anyone else watched this show?[/QUOTE]

I missed the most recent episode. I must have seen the first episode like a 100 times. It was played at every staff meeting (or parts of it at least) for the last several months.

jsarno 08-10-2007 03:09 AM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;338504]I missed the most recent episode. I must have seen the first episode like a 100 times. It was played at every staff meeting (or parts of it at least) for the last several months.[/QUOTE]

I fell asleep half way through the last one.

ESPN2 is showing it right now.

What do you think of the show?

SmootSmack 08-10-2007 03:15 AM

[QUOTE=jsarno;338507]I fell asleep half way through the last one.

ESPN2 is showing it right now.

What do you think of the show?[/QUOTE]

I think it's been pretty entertaining. It doesn't help disprove the theory that there is a significant Yankee/Red Sox bias at ESPN with a whole series dedicated to the Yankees. But that 1977 team was a compelling team during a pivotal time in New York history.

My only gripe is that it's taking away from programming hours that I need!

jsarno 08-10-2007 03:20 AM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;338511]I think it's been pretty entertaining. It doesn't help disprove the theory that there is a significant Yankee/Red Sox bias at ESPN with a whole series dedicated to the Yankees. But that 1977 team was a compelling team during a pivotal time in New York history.

My only gripe is that it's taking away from programming hours that I need![/QUOTE]

You don't want this on your programming? I would assume it gets good ratings.
I do think that ESPN has an east coast bias, but being a Sox fan, I don't think it's a big deal!

It's a good series.

By the way, how come I never see Sox games on ESPN, or ESPN 2? Do I have to put in a special request or something?

jsarno 08-10-2007 03:23 AM

I really don't like the fact they keep showing the Yanks beating the Sox. LOL.

SmootSmack 08-10-2007 03:29 AM

[QUOTE=jsarno;338514]You don't want this on your programming? I would assume it gets good ratings.
I do think that ESPN has an east coast bias, but being a Sox fan, I don't think it's a big deal!

It's a good series.

By the way, how come I never see Sox games on ESPN, or ESPN 2? Do I have to put in a special request or something?[/QUOTE]

Yeah it does get pretty good programming. I just meant that I personally have to get a certain number of hours of motorsports programming in and Bronx is Burning is keeping some hours away from me. Just like I keep hours away from tennis, and tennis keeps it away from golf and so on. It's part of the "magic" of scheduling networks.

MLB has the most ridiculous restrictions on what games we can and cannot show but I don't know why you wouldn't be able to see any Sox games on ESPN or ESPN2. You're out in New Mexico so it's not like it's market protected.

It's possible we've reached our maximable allowable numbr of Red Sox games though. Not sure.

jsarno 08-10-2007 03:35 AM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;338519]Yeah it does get pretty good programming. I just meant that I personally have to get a certain number of hours of motorsports programming in and Bronx is Burning is keeping some hours away from me. Just like I keep hours away from tennis, and tennis keeps it away from golf and so on. It's part of the "magic" of scheduling networks.

MLB has the most ridiculous restrictions on what games we can and cannot show but I don't know why you wouldn't be able to see any Sox games on ESPN or ESPN2. You're out in New Mexico so it's not like it's market protected.

It's possible we've reached our maximable allowable numbr of Red Sox games though. Not sure.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen a Sox game out here since a little after the season started.

I thought you were in charge of all programming for ESPN2, not just Racing?

Maybe ESPN should do some original programming with the 2004 red sox! They can call it, "The idiots are burning!" :D

SmootSmack 08-10-2007 03:37 AM

[QUOTE=jsarno;338522]I haven't seen a Sox game out here since a little after the season started.

I thought you were in charge of all programming for ESPN2, not just Racing?

Maybe ESPN should do some original programming with the 2004 red sox! They can call it, "The idiots are burning!" :D[/QUOTE]

I'm hardly in charge, and I'm indirectly involved in all programming for all our domestic network (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, etc.), but my main priority is motorsports.

jsarno 08-10-2007 03:43 AM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;338526]I'm hardly in charge, and I'm indirectly involved in all programming for all our domestic network (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, etc.), but my main priority is motorsports.[/QUOTE]

PFFF, it should be ESSPN. :D
Well, tell the powers that be, that I want to see more Sox games out here. ;)

dmek25 08-10-2007 07:02 AM

I'm a Phillies fan, but really enjoy the show. and if its anywhere near the truth, Reggie is one big a**hole

FRPLG 08-10-2007 08:19 AM

I think the show is OK. I really like Oliver Platt usually but his depicition of Steinbrenner just seems so silly. It is like a characticture of him. Now Tutturo(sp?) is dead on as Billy Martin.

MTK 08-10-2007 11:01 AM

Yawn.

I'm sure it's probably good, I'm just sick and tired of the Yankees and I really hate living in NY where Yankees crap is in your face all the freaking time.

What's next for ESPN, a Dallas Cowboys show?

EARTHQUAKE2689 08-10-2007 11:10 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;338579]Yawn.

I'm sure it's probably good, I'm just sick and tired of the Yankees and I really hate living in NY where Yankees crap is in your face all the freaking time.

What's next for ESPN, a Dallas Cowboys show?[/quote]

Starts next week: "America's toilet seat"

EARTHQUAKE2689 08-10-2007 11:11 AM

[quote=jsarno;338529]PFFF, it should be ESSPN. :D
Well, tell the powers that be, that I want to see more Sox games out here. ;)[/quote]

get directv and order the baseball package

EARTHQUAKE2689 08-10-2007 11:13 AM

I hate the damn yankees. GF is a yankee fan and wont shut up about them. It kinda makes me angry at times. Its always A-rod this and Derek Jeter that. They are like the Mike Vick of baseball.

dmek25 08-10-2007 01:44 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;338585]I hate the damn yankees. GF is a yankee fan and wont shut up about them. It kinda makes me angry at times. [B]Its always A-rod this and Derek Jeter that. They are like the Mike Vick of baseball.[/B][/quote]
this is probably the single most ridiculous statement i have ever read on this board. those guys are nothing alike. Jeter and A-Rod always seem to do and say the right things. and have the rings to back it up. Vick is nothing more then a media hype machine. period.

SmootSmack 08-10-2007 01:50 PM

[QUOTE=dmek25;338607]this is probably the single most ridiculous statement i have ever read on this board. those guys are nothing alike. Jeter and A-Rod always seem to do and say the right things. and have the rings to back it up. Vick is nothing more then a media hype machine. period.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, with a statement like that you can bet Earthquake didn't exactly ace the "Analogies" section of the SAT (do they still have an "Analogies" section?)

EARTHQUAKE2689 08-10-2007 01:51 PM

[quote=dmek25;338607]this is probably the single most ridiculous statement i have ever read on this board. those guys are nothing alike. Jeter and A-Rod always seem to do and say the right things. and have the rings to back it up. Vick is nothing more then a media hype machine. period.[/quote]

I meant the team gets brought up as many times as michael vick. I didnt mean that they were like Mike Vick in any way. Sorry if that was muisleading.

EARTHQUAKE2689 08-10-2007 01:52 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;338609]Yeah, with a statement like that you can bet Earthquake didn't exactly ace the "Analogies" section of the SAT (do they still have an "Analogies" section?)[/quote]

ouch that hurt SS.

EARTHQUAKE2689 08-10-2007 02:00 PM

I meant the Yankees get talked about as much as Mike Vick and being a Red Sox fan, I hate the yankees.

jsarno 08-10-2007 02:15 PM

[QUOTE=dmek25;338536]I'm a Phillies fan, but really enjoy the show. and if its anywhere near the truth, Reggie is one big a**hole[/QUOTE]

I'm not getting the a-hole thing out of Reggie, what I see is Reggie is a very sensitive player and needs everything to go perfectly for him to feel safe and secure.
I apologize in advance to all the females out there, but he seems like a woman.

jsarno 08-10-2007 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=EARTHQUAKE2689;338584]get directv and order the baseball package[/QUOTE]

I already pay for the NFL Sunday ticket, I'm not going to pay another $200 for all the Baseball games...especially since I would never watch anything other than the Sox. With the NFL Sunday ticket, I do watch other games, not just the Skins.

jsarno 08-10-2007 02:21 PM

[QUOTE=FRPLG;338546]I think the show is OK. I really like Oliver Platt usually but his depicition of Steinbrenner just seems so silly. It is like a characticture of him. Now Tutturo(sp?) is dead on as Billy Martin.[/QUOTE]

Seems like from what people are saying, his dipiction of Steinbrenner is dead on. I don't think it's Platt that is the problem, I just think George is a bit of a joke.

It reminds me of when Mr. Burns got all those ringers on the Simpsons, and one was Don Mattingly. Mr. Burns continually told him to shave those side burns, and he didn't even have any. Finally Mattingly shaved the sides of his head and Mr. Burns got pissed and fired him for not shaving his side burns. Then Mattingly says "I still like him better than Stienbrenner".
While that is a funny joke, especially for Sox fans, I think that is somewhat accurate.

70Chip 08-10-2007 06:01 PM

I love this show. Oliver Platt and John Turturro? You could film them doing crossword puzzles and it would be better than most stuff on TV.

dmek25 08-10-2007 06:51 PM

does Turturro wear prosthetic(sp?) ears? those babies are huge

jsarno 08-10-2007 07:10 PM

[QUOTE=dmek25;338724]does Turturro wear prosthetic(sp?) ears? those babies are huge[/QUOTE]

LOL...I never noticed. I'll have to look now.